Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. Version 2.3

This is a great mod i feel as though there should be a luigi mod to go with it but with different abilities for example instead of cape luigi you get tanooki luigi or fox luigi and instead of hammer he gets a tornado spin

you could edit it. not saying its easy
"Edit it" bruh it is not a simple as you think they actually have to give luigi his own unique moveset apart from mario to make him feel like his own character, Luigi is not just a green mario clone he's his own person. not to mention doing that would just be lazy.

"Edit it" bruh it is not a simple as you think they actually have to give luigi his own unique moveset apart from mario to make him feel like his own character, Luigi is not just a green mario clone he's his own person. not to mention doing that would just be lazy.
On that topic, if it was just a recolor, then said recolor would have no purpose as the same colors can simply be done in-game. Luigi would need unique sprites, powerup palettes, voices, stats, and abilities, if not more.
There is, however, plenty to work with in terms of voices, abilities and stats. Actually, there was at least one game I remember Luigi being a little faster on foot, as well as more slippery and jumping higher.
Luigi has had unique moves such as a scuttle jump (64 DS), a spinning backflip (also 64 DS), and a powerful crouch jump (super paper mario), for example.
One could go further and replace the metal cap with the vanish cap... although it's abilities would have to be changed. Maybe weak projectiles just passing right through, and being only able to walk through breakable walls? Or normally damaging walls/floors would't damage Luigi in the Vanish form? Maybe the fire form would be replaced with a thunder form? It isn't that far fetched compared to some other forms, looking at Mario's super form. I'll stop rambling.

I've always had the idea of doing an SRB2 Mario but honestly I think you guys have blown any idea I had out of the water with how good this character turned out. Massive props to Dirk, SMS and the guys who helped make Mario's jump to SRB2 land with flying colors!

Although, there is ONE thing I feel like is kinda weird is trying to use Melee attacks without having the Dive it's own button. Maybe in a future update you can have Attack & Dive on separate buttons?
On that topic, if it was just a recolor, then said recolor would have no purpose as the same colors can simply be done in-game. Luigi would need unique sprites, powerup palettes, voices, stats, and abilities, if not more.
There is, however, plenty to work with in terms of voices, abilities and stats. Actually, there was at least one game I remember Luigi being a little faster on foot, as well as more slippery and jumping higher.
Same, I think there's more than enough stuff to make Luigi wildly different to Mario, like stuff from Luigi's Mansion.

I just have a few issues with this mod, though it could just be me being bad at Mario games, nowadays.
  • Is there an option to have the dive and attack controls mapped to separate buttons? Like, diving on custom 1, hammer on fire normal and the fire/ice/gold/superball/cape on fire? Because having them mapped to the same button is really disorienting. Like, when I want to deal an attack on an enemy/boss but end up diving in the opposite direction instead because I just happened to dive the second I let go of the joystick.
giphy.gif

• Also, could the ground-pound not be mapped to the joystick in 2D? Having it mapped to spin only is just fine. Like, when I'm swimming in a 2D water area over a bottomless pit and I'm trying to move around but accidentally move the joystick down and ground-pound straight into the pit. There are just too many chances of that happening when you're just trying to make a simple left or right turn with the joystick.
giphy.gif

These are just my criticisms, so be sure to take these with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I just have a few issues with this mod, though it could just be me being bad at Mario games, nowadays.
  • Is there an option to have the dive and attack controls mapped to separate buttons? Like, diving on custom 1 and attacking on fire (hammer button with fireball button)? Because having them mapped to the same button is really disorienting. Like, when I want to deal a simple attack on an enemy but end up diving in the opposite direction instead, just because happened to dive the millisecond I let go of the joystick.
giphy.gif
I agree. but, what if the hammer could be put on, say, fire normal, if the dive is on custom 1, and fire would just be a hammer attack as well if normal/metal/mini/mega, but would change to a given form's attack when in said given form. Believe it or not, there are times where people would rather use the hammer rather than a fire/ice/gold/superball, or even the cape.

Is there an option to have the dive and attack controls mapped to separate buttons? Like, diving on custom 1 and attacking on fire (hammer button with fireball button)? Because having them mapped to the same button is really disorienting. Like, when I want to deal a simple attack on an enemy but end up diving in the opposite direction instead, just because happened to dive the millisecond I let go of the joystick.
If you disable "Dive on Attack" in the options menu, you can still dive the Odyssey way (from a ground-pound) - I find the mod way easier to control with that option on. The regular attack button is always Hammer, and it's easy enough to just jump-spin-spin/jump-spin-C1 in order to dive. Given how useful the hammer is when moving quickly (it gives some aerial height!), I can't imagine ever playing the other way.

I agree. but, what if the hammer could be put on, say, fire normal, if the dive is on custom 1, and fire would just be a hammer attack as well if normal/metal/mini/mega, but would change to a given form's attack when in said given form. Believe it or not, there are times where people would rather use the hammer rather than a fire/ice/gold/superball, or even the cape.
Yeah! Yeah, that stuff about the hammer and the fire/ice/gold/superball/cape, I agree with. I actually changed that in my post.

Luigi has had unique moves such as a scuttle jump (64 DS), a spinning backflip (also 64 DS), and a powerful crouch jump (super paper mario), for example.
One could go further and replace the metal cap with the vanish cap... although it's abilities would have to be changed. Maybe weak projectiles just passing right through, and being only able to walk through breakable walls? Or normally damaging walls/floors would't damage Luigi in the Vanish form? Maybe the fire form would be replaced with a thunder form? It isn't that far fetched compared to some other forms, looking at Mario's super form. I'll stop rambling.
thats true but I think reuseing mario's code and assets would make it alot more doable
Post automatically merged:

anybody know what the mariofactor command does

Last edited:
You’re actually pretty wrong here. Luigi is a Mario clone and he’s always been like that. He is his own and unique character, but he’s always been a clone of his brother as he is the original Player 2

You’re actually pretty wrong here. Luigi is a Mario clone and he’s always been like that. He is his own and unique character, but he’s always been a clone of his brother as he is the original Player 2
Well, you're not wrong. But it'll take a lot more effort than just "changing some values" and "changing some sprites." Like PupDaNi said: That would just be lazy.

Came across an error - When Mini Mario picks up a Star, the ghost trail is normal sized.

Attachments

• ministar.png
    ministar.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 91
Well he could have some moves he learns from the mario and luigi series games, mostly from the Dream Team game since it was made during the year of luigi.

I've been wondering that, too. I've tried messing around with it, entering different things after it, and every time, it said "factor set!" or something, without noticeably changing anything.
from looking in files it seems it has to do with hey stinky. which allows mario to dance in multiplayer I think

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back