Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. Version 2.3

I'd also like to see
1. The Propeller Dive replacing the Ground Pound when doing the spin jump
2. Sliding (when ground pounding and holding crouch, or crouching on a sloped surface)
3. Being able to ride Yoshi
4. the rings text being changed to coins (i have no idea how you would do this)
5. being able to pick things up (especially would be useful with the ice flower powerup)
6. ice mario skating (and being able to skate over water like in galaxy)
7. All forms of mario being able to run after running for a while (the Super Mario 3D world "boost run" mechanic) <would really like this>
8. an explanation of why ice mario can breath underwater
9. an underwater hud meter similar to the one in odyssey and galaxy (galaxy being one of my fav mario games)
10. the move where you hold A underwater
1. Would definitely require new sprites, but it doesn't exactly have alot of unique functionality.
2. Thought about it at one point, would probably get in the way of long jumping, rolling serves the exact same purpose.
3. If this were ever implemented, it would be implemented on Yoshi's side. But I'm not planning on adding that functionality to Yoshi anytime soon, or really much of anything for that matter.
4. Not implemented on purpose to keep the HUD as vanilla as possible and keep custom HUD support intact.
5. Was considered at one point, only results in moveset bloat as it requires its own unique button. There aren't nearly as many use-cases for it as in actual Mario games for it to be nearly as useful. A Mario based more on the 2D games could possibly take advantage of it though.
6. This isn't Galaxy's Ice Mario, so it doesn't have Galaxy's Ice Mario's functionality. Simple as that.
7. I never really liked this mechanic at all. This Mario is like the other 3D Mario games in that you get your speed from using your wide variety of moves, not from simply holding forward. Plus the sudden speed boosts don't exactly feel very great.
8. It's the bubble shield replacement. I didn't feel like changing it so it stayed as is.
9. Not necessary. Mario uses the vanilla SRB2 drowning mechanics, so he doesn't need an extra HUD that the vanilla game doesn't. Plus it helps prevent HUD bloat and makes him compatible with any HUDs that do have air remaining listed on them.
10. Would definitely require new sprites, but it doesn't exactly have alot of unique functionality.

How do you get yoshi

If this mario were to be based on 3D games, there could be tiny tweaks, like fireballs bouncing off of walls instead of disappearing when hitting them, like galaxy, 3D Land, 3D World, and possibly others, if any.
Although, I guess on the topic of suggestions,
- maybe there could be a seperate addon that makes powerups last for a limited time as a challenge, or maybe there could be a challenge pack addon with it, and maybe other challenges, like star run? (essentially super run but hitting enemies extends your super star timer, with rings only slightly extending it)
- It would be interesting if there were different visual options for things like the starman, like a SMM-style visual, but that would be addon bloat, most likely.
-Maybe there could be an option to allow obtaining all the different powerups in the vanilla singleplayer mode?

1. Would definitely require new sprites, but it doesn't exactly have alot of unique functionality.
2. Thought about it at one point, would probably get in the way of long jumping, rolling serves the exact same purpose.
3. If this were ever implemented, it would be implemented on Yoshi's side. But I'm not planning on adding that functionality to Yoshi anytime soon, or really much of anything for that matter.
4. Not implemented on purpose to keep the HUD as vanilla as possible and keep custom HUD support intact.
5. Was considered at one point, only results in moveset bloat as it requires its own unique button. There aren't nearly as many use-cases for it as in actual Mario games for it to be nearly as useful. A Mario based more on the 2D games could possibly take advantage of it though.
6. This isn't Galaxy's Ice Mario, so it doesn't have Galaxy's Ice Mario's functionality. Simple as that.
7. I never really liked this mechanic at all. This Mario is like the other 3D Mario games in that you get your speed from using your wide variety of moves, not from simply holding forward. Plus the sudden speed boosts don't exactly feel very great.
8. It's the bubble shield replacement. I didn't feel like changing it so it stayed as is.
9. Not necessary. Mario uses the vanilla SRB2 drowning mechanics, so he doesn't need an extra HUD that the vanilla game doesn't. Plus it helps prevent HUD bloat and makes him compatible with any HUDs that do have air remaining listed on them.
10. Would definitely require new sprites, but it doesn't exactly have alot of unique functionality.
Doesn't Cape Mario get faster when running for a certain amount of time? Even with sprites that reference Super Mario World?

Edit: Also couldn't you map grabbing to Custom 1 when near an ice block or on top of an ice block as Ice Mario? So you can throw it at other enemies and at walls to defeat the enemies?

Doesn't Cape Mario get faster when running for a certain amount of time? Even with sprites that reference Super Mario World?

Edit: Also couldn't you map grabbing to Custom 1 when near an ice block or on top of an ice block as Ice Mario? So you can throw it at other enemies and at walls to defeat the enemies?
Yes.

And it would be very cool to grab ice blocks.
I think you can do that in SMBW.

No he doesn't get faster, it's just a visual indicator for the flight. That's it.

And grabbing ice blocks would require entirely new sprites and code for something that'd be a one-off mechanic, so no. People are gonna start asking why you can't pick up koopa shells and such, so I think it's better off not existing. All it will do is add moveset bloat to a moveset that's already large as is.

I doubt this would convince you at all, but (most likely due to limitations,) held items would just float on mario's head in SML2.
although, could you make it so mario applies a lot of speed to frozen enemies? It feels like I have to run against a frozen enemy for 15 seconds to make it build enough speed to make it break. It wouldn't need extra sprites, especially since there isn't really any 2D Mario game that has a kicking animation play when walking into a kickable object.

This is awesome the mod controls so well and the powerups are great I do kinda wish he had more modern powerups like the super leaf or the propeller but it's still great. do you think you could alter the sprites and a bit of scripts to make a Luigi?

This is awesome the mod controls so well and the powerups are great I do kinda wish he had more modern powerups like the super leaf or the propeller but it's still great. do you think you could alter the sprites and a bit of scripts to make a Luigi?
The propeller suit would require a hole script bloat meaning no playable Mario for online.

While I'd like the Propeller Suit and Super leaf, there aren't any more monitors for said powerups to replace. I think the balance of the powerups is nice also. It'd be great to have more of those platforming oriented powerups but they aren't necessary.

Now that I think about it, the Super Leaf kind of functions similarly to the Cape powerup, having the tail swipe, the float and the flight, but the flight does work pretty differently. So if it was added it'd be a good powerup I feel. Propeller Hat would obviously be great for gaining height quickly.

The only way I think you could possibly add those powerups would be to either make powerups randomized or to add Luigi and have him have different powerups than Mario.
OR
Do a chance thing.
Explanation: 1/3 Chance for the wind monitor to be a Tanooki Leaf, Propeller Mushroom, or the Cape Feather.]

But either way adding these would probably be a ton of effort. They do seem like they'd make for great powerups. Especially if Tanooki Mario kept his flight mechanic from Super Mario Bros 3, instead of removing said mechanic like 3D Land and 3D World.

While I'd like the Propeller Suit and Super leaf, there aren't any more monitors for said powerups to replace. I think the balance of the powerups is nice also. It'd be great to have more of those platforming oriented powerups but they aren't necessary.

Now that I think about it, the Super Leaf kind of functions similarly to the Cape powerup, having the tail swipe, the float and the flight, but the flight does work pretty differently. So if it was added it'd be a good powerup I feel. Propeller Hat would obviously be great for gaining height quickly.

The only way I think you could possibly add those powerups would be to either make powerups randomized or to add Luigi and have him have different powerups than Mario.
OR
Do a chance thing.
Explanation: 1/3 Chance for the wind monitor to be a Tanooki Leaf, Propeller Mushroom, or the Cape Feather.]

But either way adding these would probably be a ton of effort. They do seem like they'd make for great powerups. Especially if Tanooki Mario kept his flight mechanic from Super Mario Bros 3, instead of removing said mechanic like 3D Land and 3D World.
Once again, if propeller suits were to get added well the code will bloat and it seems it could cause a bit of problems.

Code bloat is the least of my worries, it's the amount of sprites that would be required that's the problem.
We avoided any sort of suit or "ear" power-ups on purpose because they would've required completely new sprite sets to go along with them. We specifically chose power-ups that would only require a few new sprites or just recoloring/resizing Mario.

Code bloat is the least of my worries, it's the amount of sprites that would be required that's the problem.
We avoided any sort of suit or "ear" power-ups on purpose because they would've required completely new sprite sets to go along with them. We specifically chose power-ups that would only require a few new sprites or just recoloring/resizing Mario.
Smart :P

What's up with the stupid ghost thing after pressing the attack button on a wall?

It makes a very loud ghost noise, louder than any other noise.

I don't remember that ever being a mario thing and it gets very annoying very fast.

===image===
[stupid photo of what I'm talking about]

Attachments

• 20211227_235410~2.jpg
    20211227_235410~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back