• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SonicHeroX45's Development Thread

Nah, just my way of providing background information that I don't really know how to put in the mod itself. Also, I feel it's great to explain some loose ends in the story. This might lead to another story rewrite. Actually, that will make "Something I have been wanting to do for a VERY long time" make more sense.
Ah,ok. I thought it was something like Sonic MVD ARG Cosmix made,sorry if there was some confusion!

Nah it's fine, just a coincidence... Right?
Post automatically merged:

Anyways, these Audio Transmission Logs serve as a more in-depth prologue to the Halloween Episode in Holiday Heroes. I have yet to find out how to properly implement them in-game, so this is where I am putting them for now.

Started work on the new Dance with Death. I'm going the revamp route, would the style of Aerial Garden Zone 3 or 1.09.4 Castle Eggman Zone 2 suit this more? I didn't really like the "button-hunt in a tiny room."

NEW BUILD! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oc9nXf42STpfNun415KMHjvdMvS_Kwnm/view?usp=sharing
Changelog:
- Revamped "Dance with Death"
- Slightly redesigned "Duel with Death"
- Record Attack emblems for "Dance with Death" and "Duel with Death"
- Further preparations for "Something I have wanted to do for a VERY long time"
- Bug fixes and Refinements

Currently at 20 Maps (4 Halloween, 10 Christmas, 2 Holiday NiGHTS, and 4 Secret Levels!), 26 Cutscences (technically 28), 43 Emblems (36 Record Attack, 7 Extra), and 12 Unlockables/Extras!

I'm currently picking out songs for the "last" few stages of Holiday Heroes before the Release. The 2000 Vanilla OST has some strong contenders, surprisingly.
Might also take some from Sonic Robo Blast (yeah, that one, not Sonic Robo Blast 2020, also known as 1.4)

Last edited:
NEW BUILD! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HL5S7X4UXNWM_HS41LJPuNNOewIRWplB/view?usp=sharing
This one is mostly a cleanup job, renaming and moving around bits and pieces to prepare for the full release.
Changes:
-New INTERSCREEN and Level Select Picture for "Dance with Death"
-Missing Record Attack emblems have been added.
-Tons of Placeholder Headers and Map Slots to represent a "countdown" to the full release.
-Several Audio Tracks not previously present in the Sound Test are now viewable, including some special tracks to be implemented in "The Finale"!
-Bug Fixes and Refinements
I have always wanted to do a "Last Story" of sorts, and I can't wait to show you all what I have been working on!

Spoiler Alert! Beat the Main Game if you haven't already before reading further! (Holiday NiGHTS is a Non-Canon chapter, and therefore, does not need to be beaten!) Kssrt~ Kssrt~ "Sonic, Tails, Knuckles! Is Metal with you right now? Oh yeah, Amy and that other guy too." "HEY! Who you callin' 'That other guy?' I'm Knack the Weasel, but you better call me Fang!" "OH, my SINCEREST apologies, FANG" *SARCASM DETECTED, NOT AT ALL SINCERE* "OH COME ON METAL!" "Hold it right there, egghead! What right do you have to radio in on us, even after your carelessness almost got Metal disassembled! He has already shown us the Audio Logs YOU had with him!" "Now, no need to be harsh, I'm GETTING there!" "Then explain yourself fast before I scramble your signal!" "Okay, okay! The whole "sending Metal Sonic off to his doom" and "Christmas Party trap-thing" was not me." "You are not pulling our legs this time Eggman!" "Wait, WAIT! The Ring Satellite is back in orbit, and Metal Robotnik has taken over my badniks!" "Aw come on, we all know YOU are Metal Robotnik!" "No! I'm being honest this time!" *LIE NOT DETECTED* "Oh, thank you Metal. Anyways, I have a plan to CRUSH his plan." "Whoa, you rarely help US out." "Correct, but this is a special case, that we all need to cooperate for. Now, listen close..."

I found out that the Holiday NiGHTS warp is taking you to one of the placeholder maps instead of Sparkling Summit. I have already fixed the issue (and a few others), but I don't have the best reception here at school. I'll have to wait till later tonight to upload the fix. In the meantime, I'll touch up on some presentation things.

NEW BUILD! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nxkWg51slOciPf3eGGssD10FBP6xAD8K/view?usp=sharing
This one is more focused on some presentation related stuff, but some very major bugs and glitches have been resolved as well. Most notably, a Holiday NiGHTS wrong warp error has been addressed.
Changes:
-Holiday Hub has a new look! (And something special too!) Complete with a new Level Select icon that replaces the one that has been present since the Xmas Demo!
-Cutscenes have been cleaned up a ton, they are more consistent too! Complete with new cutscene music for Halloween and Christmas! (Sorta.)
-Various Placeholders have been removed and otherwise adjusted. I don't want to set false expectations for upcoming content.
-Bug Fixes and Enhancements.
Next Build is gonna take a while. I'm gonna be creating the Halloween Stages for Holiday NiGHTS, or I might wait for the full release. That means "The Finale" should also be done, levels and cutscenes!

Last edited:
Developer's Block. Ever heard of it? I have the placeholders, the concepts, the ideas, but no knowledge (or creativity, in some cases) on how to implement it. I have worked a TON over the last few months, maybe even overworked myself to a point of exhaustion, on Holiday Heroes. I LOVE working on this, but I need some time to recollect myself. I will be taking a hopefully short break from development. Don't worry though! "The Finale" and the Halloween NiGHTS levels are still coming, just not now. School work is also catching up to me. Believe it or not, I'm still a Senior in high school! I am working on some promotional stuff such as Holiday Heroes official artwork (for an Art assignment, ill post it here and/or the official Discord when it's done, I think you'll love it!) and maybe a trailer (or two?) in hopes to fill the content gap between now and the full release. Yeah, the next build's gonna be the full release, can you believe that? Anyways, see ya later!

First Sketch of the Promo Art! The colors aren't there just yet, but I'm proud of what I have so far!

Well, I was playtesting Holiday Heroes and reading feedback from here and the Discord Server. There were also some ideas that were sitting on the "drawing board" that were all ready to go, but I was holding them off for the full release. I realized that yet again, some "Essential Fixes and Extra Refinements" were needed before v1. I have begun work on the Holiday Heroes v0.5 build. This will be the last "Pre-Release" before Version 1, unless a Hotfix is needed. I'm hoping to avoid that however. When it is done, I'll put the Download and Changelog here and on the Discord Server. Until then!

Attachments

• 1000042288.jpg
    1000042288.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I just love the fact that this mod was made first as a remaster of SRB2 Halloween and Chirstmas,and then became its own thing.

Heh, V0.5 might not be a one night build like the others. Might as well finish the thing at this rate. Nah, I need a break, as well as some more time to work out some other things in regards to The Finale and Halloween NiGHTS. I think I'll polish what I have now and release it. I'll leave "The Finale" and Halloween NiGHTS for V1.

Wait... That can't be right. Where are the rest?

That certainly was something. Here is Holiday Heroes v0.5. This is the first stable build since the Xmas Demo, and if you haven't been keeping up, this is a really big one. (but small in file size!)
Changes since Xmas Demo:
-Holiday Hub has been renovated!
-New Halloween Stage, "Dance with Death!", this rounds out the Halloween chapter of Holiday Heroes, for now.
-New Cutscenes and INTERSCREENS for Halloween and Christmas!
-New Secret Level: "The Right To Remain!" (Can you find the hidden exit to get here? If not: Here's a hint: A cavern beside the River Stix. )
-Most "Enemies" and other "Things" now use thier 2.2 counterparts when applicable. Only exception is Winterflower.
-The Chaos Emeralds have been scattered across the chapters (yup, you have to LOOK for them now!), make sure you gather them before they fall into the wrong hands! (Version 1 will use a new Gamedata file, for the official releases!) "Hints": 2 in Halloween, 3 in Christmas, and 2 in the Secret Levels.
-HUGE cleanup job, mostly removing unused files and reorganizing things for accessibility.
-MANY bug fixes and refinements, as well as other minor (maybe major?) changes.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TpdeYeEd0F29D9VMBbmUM9gl7-fDIhgl/view?usp=sharing

This is the last version before the full mod comes out! I did not think the project would make it this far, especially in the low-quality state it started in. When it is done, I hope everyone will enjoy it as much as I did making it! I will see if I can leave this thread open to use as a version archive or an indev thread, where I hope to put in-progress builds of the next version as time goes on. See you later!

Darn, looks like a hotfix was needed. This is Holiday Heroes v0.5a. In addition to the changes from Holiday Heroes v0.5, this also changes:
-Messed up lumps for music and INTERSCREENS
-Unobtainable emblems
-Configured a unique GAMEDATA so players can experience the new Emerald Collection system before Version 1
I'm going on break now. Remember, this is the last build before the full mod comes out!

Since I'm going on a short development break, I put v0.5a into Submissions. If it goes through, I'll have to delete the original version and the Hotfix, unless I'm allowed to keep this thread as a version archive. I'll also be putting beta builds of the next version here as well, after my break of course. If v0.5a doesn't make it though Submissions, I'll take my break and after I come back, finish Version 1 and resubmit.

Man, I thought I was gonna finally be done with the mod so I could go on break. This is gonna be the "Final Demo Situation" all over again. Some file size management stuff. I have broken up the main mod and the extra tracks (Unused 1 thru Unused 11) Some minor Sound Test changes have also been applied.

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Comments on 0.5b new/edited stages
Holiday Hub: Nothing much to say lol
Dance with Death: The main stage is larger, but, still, I don't like it. I think that the edge of the arena need to be a hazard (cuz it's too easy to defeat the 2nd phrase).
The Right to the Remain: Oh, Fang falls into the pit. Stage Clear.

I have never actually had Fang commit sodoku during playtesting. I might need to look into that. As for "Phase 2" of the Halloween Boss, I might just overhaul that location all together come Version 1. Ain't really enough to warrant an immediate fix in my opinion. Besides, I'm taking a break.

It appears the Submissions version is being reviewed as I speak. When it becomes available for me to edit, I'll put Version 0.5b and ExtraTracks in the thread. This is an optional fix and is not at all mandatory, unless you wanna cut down the file size a bit.

Last edited:
Due to the feedback of quite a few players, and some developments on my end, there will be another content update between now and Version 1. In this update, you will actually be able to beat the game, given you meet a series of requirements. First, you will need all the emeralds. Second, you will need to have unlocked and completed all Main Story stages, INCLUDING the secret levels. ( The one exception is Holiday NiGHTS, as it is more of a bonus chapter/mini game, and does not contribute to the Main Story. ) These will also be the requirements to unlock "The Finale" when it fully comes out with Version 1. I will work on and release Holiday NiGHTS stages as their own separate mini updates between other content updates and patches. Good luck, and I'll see you when the update drops!

Behold! The promotional Artwork for Holiday Heroes!

Attachments

• 0679fe38-1324-4cff-9117-3c3333511d41.jpg
    0679fe38-1324-4cff-9117-3c3333511d41.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I'm still working on some update stuff. In the meantime, I'm just going to casually drop the Assets .ZIP here. Feel free to use these resources in your maps (most of them are originally from The Past anyway). I guess you could treat this as a constantly updating In-Dev. Every edit I make to the assets also updates this.

Last edited:
Christmas Factory: Uh, I thought place crushers on the main path is a good idea...
And considering that Minus is now the enemy of drilling, I prefer to replace them with Jetty-Syns.

The REAL Final Boss: uhhhh, 2.0 brak is so hard...
If it's me, I prefer rename "Final Boss" (Xmas) to "Hidden Base", and name the true final boss to "Metal Robotnik's Fight" or something.
The music... bruh.

About Christmas Factory: Yes, the crushers on the main path were a good thing, but I found them to be such a low threat I remade the first room to use them as decoration.
About The REAL Final Boss: I already stated in the cutscene that you could now beat the game, but it was NOT going to be easy by any means.
About Naming Conventions for the Xmas Final Boss and The REAL Final Boss: I considered renaming Final Boss to Hidden Base early in development, the cutscenes even imply it. I will actually do it next update. As for The REAL Final Boss: Like before, I stated in the cutscene that The Finale was NOWHERE near complete. I aim to complete it in time for Holiday Heroes v1.
About the new enemies: I am well aware that the 2.2 Minuses operate completely different than they did early on, as well as a few other enemies. Version 1 will have altered(?) enemy and level placement to accommodate this.
I got a new build coming up, (no release time promise, but likely soon) might as well go ham on development until Version 1, then I can calm down a bit.

Last edited:
If you need an older version of Minus, the older varients are avaiable in either badnik pack DX or SRB2 the past. I'd reccomend pulling from SRB2 the Past as they're currently the most up to date there if you do decide you want them.

Thanks, but I already took all the Old Badniks and Things from The Past. Those Old Minuses are included with that. I then ported the levels from The Past for SRB2 2.1 and altered/expanded them. I'm trying to modernize SRB2Ween and SRB2Xmas, as well as loading it to the brim with secrets, extra levels, and more! You will notice the old Crawlas and other old things in Winterflower, since you go through a time rift after Sonic's Nightmare.

Version 1.0 of Holiday Heroes has begun development! Keep an eye on this thread for Sneak Peeks and Beta Builds! Might show off something later today...

Well, while checking through my version archive to prepare for Version 1.0, I realized that the original v0.75 has been somehow deleted. I have deleted all conversation in relation to v0.75 in response to this. To make up for it, I will release v0.8. This was supposed to be a hotfix for v0.75, but some unfinished v1.0 assets leaked into it. If you can find them, congratulations, I guess. Anyways, here is the changelog:
- Fixed some broken unlock detection.
- "Final Boss" is now "Hidden Base".
- "The Real Final Boss" is now "The Final Act".
- HOLIDAY HUB TEMPORARY REMODEL, this was one of those Version 1.0 WIP things. Expect a more complete remodel in Version 1.
- Most Extras, Secrets, and other Unlockable goodies are now accessible in the Holiday Hub (after you unlock them of course).
- All Secret Levels except for Sonic's Nightmare (and the Secret Exit in Emerald Coast) take you back to the Hub after completion. Looking back, I'll probably revert this back to the way it was in v1.0.
Carry over changes from v0.75:
-Added "The Real Final Boss". Accessible through the Holiday Hub after collecting all the Emeralds! (Use the "warp" across the lobby from the Ideya Palace that takes you to Holiday NiGHTS!) If you don't have the Emeralds, the Hub will simply reload.
-Added a Custom Ending and Credits Sequence! Beat "The Real Final Boss" to see it!
-Other Bug Fixes and Enhancements.

I also updated ExtraTracks and the Assets ZIP to v0.80. Here you go!

Up next: Version v1.0! I'm gonna take a FAT break from development afterwards.
Aw crap, I forgot something! I'll throw a hot-hotfix up soon.

The v0.8 Hot-Hotfix:
-Added Level Select Icon for new Holiday Hub
-"View Credits" actually shows up in Extras
-Fixed some Music and Cutscene issues

Up next (for real this time): Version v1.0!

I have a YouTube channel! I'm going to put some showcases and other stuff on here from time to time.

Last edited:
Sneek Peek time! This is the renovated Holiday Hub that should be used for most major releases onward, starting with Holiday Heroes v1.0!
This looks much more pleasing than the older version. You go between the Main Story section and Bonus Content section via Teleporter! Those four areas up top around the Ideya Palace take you to the individual Secret Stages. You have to unlock them first though.
1675461829570.png

It's been almost a week since the last development update. Time really flies huh? I should probably bring back up the fact that Holiday Heroes is going to be my first ever "complete" Sonic Robo Blast 2 mod. I feel like I should take y'all on a little history trip to commemorate the upcoming release of Version 1.0! Holiday Heroes originally entered the concept stage around my birthday, August 13th, last year. I was on Summer break from school, and BORED as ever. (real original backstory huh?) I was watching some gameplay of the old SRB2 versions, Halloween and Christmas specifically, and wanted to update the levels for modern versions of SRB2. I know The Past exists, but I wanted a more expanded revival of the old versions. I was NOT going to be happy with just porting the levels. I got to work, and started off small. I released a Demo around Halloween that year, trying to match the Anniversary of SRB2Ween. This release was REALLY up front and simple. No cutscenes or bonus content, just the Original 2 Halloween Tech Demo and 10 Christmas Demo levels, with Score, Time, and Rings emblems for most. Can't forget the compressed to hell and back MP3 tracks. About 12 hours later, the All Saints Day Hotfix was released. All this really did was remove the awful MP3 tracks in favor of OGG tracks. Around Late November to Early December, I released the "Pre-Xmas Fixes" build. This restored the Ice Physics and Secret Exits that were messed up during the initial ports. "Pre-Xmas Fixes" was the last set of big fixes and refinements before the very anticipated (to me at least) Xmas Demo! This was originally going to be the "last release before the full game comes out" (Remember the Final Demo Situation?) This introduced Holiday NiGHTS, which was a bonus chapter heavily structured like NiGHTS into Dreams... You had a four-mare course, followed by a boss fight. The only completed levels were Sparkling Summit and Subzero Scuffle.

(follow-up due to character limit) Sparkling Summit was the Multi-mare course, while Subzero Scuffle was the Boss Fight. The Xmas Demo also revamped some stages, and added proper cutscenes between most levels. The Score Emblems were also removed. During a period of slight depression and just lacking motivation, I released v0.5. This was supposed to be a "parting gift" due to the thoughts of cancelling the project at the time. Adding two levels (now one merged level), to Halloween. "Dance with Death" and "Duel with Death". Dance with Death was a very hated button hunt in a very small room littered with enemies and a ridiculous amount of traps and obstacles. Duel with Death was a very low quality and cheese-able fight with a Grayscale Metal Sonic. A Secret Level was also added: "The Right to Remain". This was a beta version of Duel with Death, fighting a Grayscale Fang on a very small area where getting hit once was pretty much a guaranteed death. How fun! More cutscenes were also added, and Placeholders for levels that never came to be (yet...) Were added. I quit the project for about a week. Then, M O T I V A T I O N. 2 New Builds came out within a week of each other, 0.75 (Now lost to time I guess) and 0.8, making it so you could actually beat the game, provided you met 2 requirements: First, you needed to have beaten EVERY SINGLE LEVEL. Holiday NiGHTS wasn't counted for this as it was a Bonus Chapter/Minigame of sorts. Second, you needed all 7 Chaos Emeralds. However, the Emeralds were scattered away from Emerald Coast (where they always were prior 0.75/0.8) and placed in various locations across the Halloween and Christmas Chapters. This led to a very difficult recreation of SRB2 2.0's Egg Rock 3, "The REAL Final Boss". After completing it, you beat the game! Very anticlimactic in my opinion, but set the stage for something else...

That brings us to where we are right now. v1.0 is nearing completion, bringing with it MOST of the remaining Single Player Campaign, as well as tons of other changes and improvements! Now, as for the release window... When it's Done!™ Just kidding. I have recently moved the project from Binary Mapping to UDMF Mapping. This comes with some developments, both good and bad. The good: Development is going much faster than it was before! I'm already pretty used to the new system, and I feel it is WAY easier than it was before! The bad: Unfortunately, UDMF Mapping won't get official support until 2.2.11, and who knows when THAT'S coming out. This means that most players won't be able to play v1.0 until 2.2.11 comes out.

Anyways, that's all for now, see you next week! (Or sooner?) Note how I said MOST of the Single Player Campaign, what's coming and what's not? You will see. You will see...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back