What do you use?

• Software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OpenGL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OpenGL, hands down. I can run 1280x960 with OpenGL with hardly any slowdown, even on my GeForce 6200 NV44 which OWNS most of people's piece of crap integrated cards, but is defeated by 6600 and above.

Software:
srb200011bh.jpg

OpenGL:
srb20002.jpg

See how much nicer OpenGL looks?

You can't compare the two different screens. :|

My intergrated card at my computer is ownage. GeForce 6100. 1280x1024. No slowdowns. Trilinear and 16x aniostropic filtering. Pure ownage. T.T

Whenever I run in OpenGL (Not that often since I have an integrated card and I can't be arsed with running SRB2 from the command line. Yes, I DO know about batch files), I set rendering mode to nearest.

OpenGL hands down, with trilinear filtering. While I do concede SSN's got a point with the whole "things become blurry when they get too far away" spiel, I really don't give a damn. Granted, people invented anisotropic filtering as well which takes care of that issue... albeit SRB2 doesn't make use of it.

I used to have crappy integrated stuff from Intel. Now I have a Radeon 9250. I also just paid good money for a new computer (well, the parts that make it up, at any rate), so by the end of the week, I could very well have a GeForce 7600 GT (I've been told it's the equivalent of the good ol' GeForce 6800 Ultra); that'll be good.

I'm going to be playing HL2:Episode 1 and Quake 4 on this, and UT2K7 when it comes out... it HAS to be.

It's actually only mid-range right now. I figured I'd splurge on a good DX10 card instead, when Vista (finally) comes out.

Actually, I've already beaten HL2, over a year ago, on the Radeon 9250. It's just now, I can run it in style.

I already have the card. In fact, I now have the motherboard, the processor, the RAM, the hard drive, the sound card, the monitor, the speakers, the mouse, the keyboard, the DVD+/-R drive, and the floppy/USB drive. What I don't have is the PSU or case to put it all in, so it's all just sitting in my room (bar the monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, and sound card, since they're all being used by my current computer instead). The other two parts come today, though, so I can start building tonight (albeit at 9PM) or tomorrow...

Bouncey said:
Sorry for bumping, but.

Software:

I tried OpenGL today and it went like this.

OpenGL:

I had this problem, too. You are using an NVidia-Card, right?
Then download a driver for your graphics card. It´ll help

Well, turns out my not being able to view OGL mode was a software problem. (That sounds wierd I know) My computer's system is updated now, for the first time in years, and OGL finally works for me. I now see how terribly wrong I was. OpenGL is way better than software. Though a tad slower.

I can run OpenGL at max res...with no slowdown (as long as there aren't ten other programs running THAT's when I slow down)

I run srb2 in OGL, 1280x1024 (Would go higher, but monitor no supporty), trilinear, 32 bit, with 16x aniostropic filtering, no slowdowns. But SRB2 doesn't truly support anistropic, and as far as I know, yet.

"Max res" can be different for all sysrems. This computer's graphics chip can get to 1600x1200, so can my GF6100 on my other, better computer. But the monitor can only get up to 1024x768, while on my other it can go to 1280x1024. The highest max resolution I know of is 2500x2000, could probably only be done by plugging a computer with an insane graphics card into a HD TV or something. O-o

anisotropic filtering... albeit SRB2 doesn't make use of it.

Yes it does. Any program running OpenGL or DirectX 8 or above can make use of it.

My rig has an ATI Radeon X1800 XT card, so it's no wonder that I use OpenGL. My AMD Athlon X2 processor is very fast too, as it can run Software at full speed in 1280x1024 (Something my old computer's P4 processor could not do). But I still prefer OpenGL, because of Software's bad texture and vertice precision on higher resolutions.

And ree-c, most modern graphics cards have a maximum resolution of 2048x1536. I know that GeForce FX and ATI Radeon 9000 and up can do it, and possibly those from older families. So don't say you need a super-powered graphics card. What you need most is a monitor that supports the resolution, as most do not go that high. Not even HDTV sets can go that high yet, as far as I know. Most run at 1280x720, or so I'm told.

Sorry, I'm being a geek again.

1680x1050, here. I believe I've already brought that up, though.

I noticed that there's now a "Trilinear + Nearest" option in OpenGL... dunno how much better it is, though. Definitely eliminates the blurry-textures, but I've not checked out anywhere where a moiré pattern would appear. Should probably try anti-aliasing, too, since jaggies suck.

Too busy installing stuff onto this new rig, though. Doing stuff like installing HL2: Episode 1 or Trackmania: Sunrise, and wondering why in God's name my USB ports aren't working so I can enjoy the latter with this Xbox 360 controller. I'm not even gonna touch Psychonauts until I get that sorted out...

Actually, I just recently did some more testing on OGL, and I'd say I still prefer Software, for these reasons:
1. You don't have to fiddle with the gamma to get the colors right.
2. There's no nasty outline unless it's there on the sprites.
3. I havn't tested this, but it seems to be able to handle maps that were nodebuilt in Wadauthor, or so I've heard OGL has trouble with.
4. It's faster for me.
5. It better renders floor, celing, and wall textures. (seriously, compare Desolate Twilight OGL and Desolate Twilight Software.)
6. Software is alot brighter.
7. Software dosen't have trouble desiding weather or not it works.
8. Software renders transparent blocks transparent rather than black.
9. The camera is more solid in Software mode, and only goes through walls if it's crushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back