• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SA2's Green hill - stage remake. (You won't need 180 emblems to play this stage!)

I finally locked in and made a LOT of progress today (actually yesterday because any new post before 2:13 pm will be merged. :<) So why is the sky a sunset? I had some small lil’ problems with adding a good looking GHZ skybox and I couldn’t make it to look good so I just decided to use one of the deafult ones. And the regular cyan sky color would merge with water and it would just look kinda meh. And then I decided to add thok barriers and that’s how this stage looks like now!​

And for the less major additions, I added those small islands that are just randomly placed throughout the stage for some extra flair and accuracy. And because horizon effect breaks sloped thok barriers I just made the water level drop straight down instead, but it looked ugly so I used those islands to hide the water level dropping. And I may add something for those islands, maybe secrets or just springs that sent you back to the main path of the stage.​

And there’s finally update on the objects situation, I found 6 six youtube videos that are around 5-8 minutes long. And hopefully the length means that they will take it slow and showcase every area. (Hopefully slowly too.) And if that won’t work, then I still have a plan... but that’s only If I won’t have enough reference footage to recreate this stage accurately though.​

I finally locked in and made a LOT of progress today (actually yesterday because any new post before 2:13 pm will be merged. :<) So why is the sky a sunset? I had some small lil’ problems with adding a good looking GHZ skybox and I couldn’t make it to look good so I just decided to use one of the deafult ones. And the regular cyan sky color would merge with water and it would just look kinda meh. And then I decided to add thok barriers and that’s how this stage looks like now!​

View attachment 143139

And for the less major additions, I added those small islands that are just randomly placed throughout the stage for some extra flair and accuracy. And because horizon effect breaks sloped thok barriers I just made the water level drop straight down instead, but it looked ugly so I used those islands to hide the water level dropping. And I may add something for those islands, maybe secrets or just springs that sent you back to the main path of the stage.​

And there’s finally update on the objects situation, I found 6 six youtube videos that are around 5-8 minutes long. And hopefully the length means that they will take it slow and showcase every area. (Hopefully slowly too.) And if that won’t work, then I still have a plan... but that’s only If I won’t have enough reference footage to recreate this stage accurately though.​
Nice!
I actually have a suggestion if you're willing. Perhaps you could make it compatible with the SA2B map pack port as a bonus?

Nice!
I actually have a suggestion if you're willing. Perhaps you could make it compatible with the SA2B map pack port as a bonus?
In which way compatible exactly?
Post automatically merged:

And @LegoTails has recorded a playthrough of this stage on his youtube channel! :D​

Thanks for that again!​

Last edited:
In which way compatible exactly?
Post automatically merged:

And @LegoTails has recorded a playthrough of this stage on his youtube channel! :D​

Thanks for that again!​
Maybe for getting all the emblems when added before/after SA2B port? Or perhaps for finding a SPECIFIC emblem?

Thanks for that again!​
You're welcome Aquavine, and also, mind think you saw me speedrunning this as adventure sonic and alt knuckles and that question you gonna asking me of that.

"Who is alt knuckles?"

Alt Knuckles is a character mod with mostly powerfull ability, that mod created by Sls64LGamingBro and i am the part of Beta-Tester of it.
And mostly at all, if you want to see his some project of addon, highly recommended to check out!
Sls's WIP Collection

Alright, i think that's all i have for today.
Have any question? Let me know on Conversations, because i highly recommended to create/start a new conversation adding me, i will answer all of your questions. So dont worry about that.

Thank you all for reading this and have nice day.​

With the power of SkyboxScale = 0 I finally managed to make a good looking skybox for this stage!!! :wow: And I also added the upper zoom-tube! And a single platform that I somehow forgor to add.​

I'll maybe add the sky scrolling for clouds, but for that I'll have to make a new texture for the clouds so they won't be too close together.​

And here's a tutorial of how I did it:
1727546793447.png

1.In your map's maincfg add a line named "SkyboxScale" and set it to zero, this will lock the skybox from any movement, especially vertical one.
2.Just do the same thing you would with a normal skybox, and basically that's it!
It sounds really simple but this thing can be a really powerful tool for making custom and rad looking skyboxes without any spriting knowlage at all. The moment I found out about this trick, it especially helped me with making horizon effect for FOF's in OPENGL. The thing is that FOF's don't really work well with horizon effect in OPENGL rendering, that's why all my sea-side stages have water randomly cutting off instead of being stretched out. But that changed with me knowing how to lock skyboxes in place, just look at that!
srb20090.gif

(It looks way better in non-software rendering though, for some reason recording gifs automatically switches the rendering to a software resembling one for the duration of recording.) Still, it looks way better now!

I like the progress of this addon, it feels like something that is brand new. And fresh! Hopefully, this map will be finalized later on (Also yes, I'm the person who made Alt Knuckles, and I'm wondering if I'll release this character. Maybe in the future of 2025, I don't know)!

I should patch that ability btw, seems a bit too overpowered. :worry:

I like the progress of this addon, it feels like something that is brand new. And fresh! Hopefully, this map will be finalized later on
I’m happy that you like it! The main geometry for this stage was actually pretty fun to remake! (aside from the time when I was really close to cancelling this stage because of the maps scale not working good with SRB2’s physics -.-”) It’s simple enough so it’s not boring, but complicated enough for it to be an actually enjoyable zen-like experience. That kinda was my main reason for remaking this stage, and because I hate the pseudo 2D camera this stage has in original SA2. >:C
(Also yes, I'm the person who made Alt Knuckles, and I'm wondering if I'll release this character. Maybe in the future of 2025, I don't know)!
I think I remember watching showcase of this addon on your youtube channel. And about that, I wonder who subscribed to my channel exactly 23 minutes ago... :worry: And don’t expect a lot of content from me, I maybe will showcase my other original stages, but that may be about it, and maybe some kick-ass speedruns too. Still, thanks for that! :D

I didn't mean to though, I just wanted to follow your channel because of showcasing your WIP maps. :shitsfree:
Well, I mostly showcase them here, but I as I said earlier, I may do it on my channel too. (But in that case I should rebrand my channel, but I’m not really into youtube honestly, so I won’t take it THAT seriously. But it’s still nice seeing my maps in the wild on random youtube channel with 50 subs. C: I didn’t actually expect my E.C video to do that well, but still it’s a nice surprise that it happened!)

Well, I mostly showcase them here, but I as I said earlier, I may do it on my channel too. (But in that case I should rebrand my channel, but I’m not really into youtube honestly, so I won’t take it THAT seriously. But it’s still nice seeing my maps in the wild on random youtube channel with 50 subs. C: I didn’t actually expect my E.C video to do that well, but still it’s a nice surprise that it happened!)
Hey, i have a idea for you to keep in mind. Add the Badniks from sonic 1 by using this mod Sonic 1 Badniks it created by BadOmenThingy. So you can use it for your SA2 Green Hill Remake, just dont forget to credit him.

Hey, i have a idea for you to keep in mind. Add the Badniks from sonic 1 by using this mod Sonic 1 Badniks it created by BadOmenThingy. So you can use it for your SA2 Green Hill Remake, just dont forget to credit him.
I was already thinking about that! I just have a priority list in mind whild making this stage. Level layout -> Scenery -> Rings and enemies. So expect to see those near the end of the development cycle. And I’ll try to make buzz-bombers fly out from the same spots as in the original. I just hope that thess have short seek distance and that they won’t fly to me from the end of the whole stage. :C

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back