• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Official SUGOI trilogy port project

Sorry but why is this taking so long? It's been 2 years and a half since the announcement. Wasn't there even an non-oficial version running around months after 2.2's release? Sorry if I'm being ignorant but I really wanna know why

Sorry but why is this taking so long? It's been 2 years and a half since the announcement. Wasn't there even an non-oficial version running around months after 2.2's release? Sorry if I'm being ignorant but I really wanna know why
As far as I understand and remember, it was supposed to come out earlier but it hasn't yet because of features that are expected to be integrated into base SRB2 first.
Since that hasn't happened yet (Not sure if it has now than 2.2.11 came out like a day or so ago), they're waiting for those changes to be applied. Maybe they're tweaking stuff in the mean time as well? That's just a guess from me though.

Sugoi Entries

After some fumbling about. here are my sugoi maps. SEE attached for all 3 of my entries.

Most of my efforts went into contaminated water zone to make it fresh and much more fun to play. Leaps of faith was going to receive the same treatment but the limited time made me nervous so i just fixed it up so its compatible, Maybe another time eh?

Azure Paradise Zone - MAP39
-Based on 2.2 Remake
-Reduced ring amount for ring emblem from 660 to 256
-Minor fixes to layout

Contaminated Water Zone - MAP43
-Mostly Remade
-Has new set of emblems

Leaps of Faith Zone - MAP44
-Based on the standalone revision
-Some areas are wider
-Character support for Fang and Amy

all music were replaced with module versions/ alternatives
I know this post is like 2-ish years ago but

I can understand using module music would help conserve filesize (if that's what Sal wants), but I can't help but imagine several folks who have enjoyed the standalone version of v2.2 Azure Paradise Zone getting to replay the same level in the SUGOI Trilogy port, only to be disappointed with the downgraded track

I can imagine people hosting netgames using an edited version of the pack that replaces the module version of APZ's track with the digital one or make a separate wad/pk3 file that does that

Last edited:
I know this post is like 2-ish years ago but

I can understand using module music would help conserve filesize (if that's what Sal wants), but I can't help but imagine several folks who have enjoyed the standalone version of v2.2 Azure Paradise Zone getting to replay the same level in the SUGOI Trilogy port, only to be disappointed with the downgraded track

I can imagine people hosting netgames using an edited version of the pack that replaces the module version of APZ's track with the digital one or make a separate wad/pk3 file that does that
The latter is much more likely tbh, imagine making people redownload an entire Level Pack just to replace one song
Post automatically merged:

With that being said, none of the merge requests that Sal helped code in for 2.2.11 are not in the actual 2.2.11 (Saving in multiplayer, SPR2 refreshing, and allow saving when addons are loaded), that meaning that the SUGOI trilogy still cannot come out unforunately.

Last edited:
The latter is much more likely tbh, imagine making people redownload an entire Level Pack just to replace one song
Post automatically merged:

With that being said, none of the merge requests that Sal helped code in for 2.2.11 are not in the actual 2.2.11 (Saving in multiplayer, SPR2 refreshing, and allow saving when addons are loaded), that meaning that the SUGOI trilogy still cannot come out unforunately.
At the very least, the latter can be done for netgames perhaps

But if people don't wanna get locked out of saving progress in singleplayer unless the three certain merge requests actually does something the pack itself or if the SUGOIs' built in gamemodified detector is removed/changed up too, they will likely do the former

Actually nevermind I thought music patch wads that are loaded after a map pack would trigger anything but turns out nope I was stupid

Last edited:
Yes, but Sal has stated those merge requests are required in order to properly port the SUGOI Trilogy.

The problem is that they pushed all of my code stuff milestones back to 2.2.12, which means none of what I needed is in 2.2.11, which also means I am still in waiting limbo. It's hard to work on it without that stuff in because it means I cannot reasonably test multiplayer, which is where most of the problems crop up. I could just compile it myself and give it to people, but if it's accidentally loaded in vanilla it can overwrite gamedata. I don't really want to be blamed for that. Not to mention, if STJr turns out to not even like my approach for any reason and not implement it, then I would need to completely course correct, so starting mass mod testing with it before it makes it into base game could back-fire and waste even more time.

That said, I haven't completely stopped working on it in that absence, since I can still work on single player stuff. The porting itself was all completely finished, other than the occasional minor porting issue in a map or two. Although, the UDMF updates in 2.2.11 probably added some more crap to fix, so let's just say it used to be 100% and now it's 95%.

The stuff that is left (other than the truck tons of neglected multiplayer testing) is actual new stuff for the 2.2 versions. I can technically release without and will probably eventually scale back my plans, but this stuff is important to me. I'm just a little bit demoralized, since it's still pretty much only me working on it, and at the same time that I am working on other games (Ring Racers, Snap the Sentinel, some other secret ones). Also it's a bit selfish / "me problem", but I also think about if I need to make other code changes that it could take more than a year to actually make it into the base game, and that kind of gives me existential dread :V

Would love to get some other people to help me with some of the remaining tasks so it can come out faster, but I haven't had much luck even with previous SUGOI entries getting extra hands that can do the parts I actually need help with. I guess I'll say that if anyone is fine with either doing a lot of intense & dirty porting work, or is experienced in SOC and/or Lua and can create prototypes of crappy concept art design docs that I give them (especially boss design), then send me a PM. I'll probably be very picky since this has backfired for me before even with people I trust, so I don't actually expect to find anyone suitable. But maybe I'll get lucky this time and this can come out sooner than later.

It's okay, Sal. You can take your time to keep working on your stuff.

Eventually, we'll see this trilogy come back in its fully glory for 2.2.

man i am espeecially excited for kimo 2.2 port

i may have some ports of sugoi and subarashii but ive only been able to run them on 2.2.9

your ports of SUGOI and SUBARASHII may be portlegs
Posting Portlegs onto the message board is against the rules. (Mostly rule 18) but having them doesn't break any.
if you got them from workshop (or gamebanana) i suggest swiftly deleting them
at no point could I find a SUGOI mod on either workshop or gamebanana. but your immediate focus on the two sites does raise questions about you.
i may have some ports of sugoi and subarashii but ive only been able to run them on 2.2.9
If they are portlegs, then I suggest that you avoid using them in netgames.
and if you got them from somewhere else like workshop or gamebanana, do whatever you want with them as long as it isn't reposting them here, as that would break rule 18. or using them in netgames for probably obvious reasons.

You're not missing out on much. there is the uh, minecart racing game mode and uh... you really aren't missing out on anything.

there is a pretty impressive Pepperman mod on the site though. functionally, not visually.
I'll make sure to check thouse out sometime soon

Ooh the 2.2.12 prerelease is out, and includes a bunch of netgame improvements including emblem progression. Was that the stuff you were waiting on to make the port possible online?

Ooh the 2.2.12 prerelease is out, and includes a bunch of netgame improvements including emblem progression. Was that the stuff you were waiting on to make the port possible online?
Pretty sure that's the case yeah

I can't help but be curious, has the Silver boss battle from SUGOI been updated to use his 2.2 sprites?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back