N64 Mario

N64 Mario V3.3

I absolutely adore this, easy 9/10 here

Here's a really funny bug w/ Xmomentum that turns Mario into Speedrunner Mario if you so much as touch any kind of spring and press jump
srb20202.gif

Attachments

• srb20202.gif
    srb20202.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 145
this mod is fun but its not n64 mario its just mario

sounds cool

...Is the lunge jump supposed to be absolutely useless when you're falling fast enough? I mean, I get not having the lunge give you any height after a certain point... but it does nothing. Not even a slight speed boost.
Having Metal Mario boost jump height and speed like every other super form feels... odd to me. I imagined Metal Mario might have a shockwave when he ground pounds, much like how Knuckles does when landing after canceling a glide, but it's just a stat boost. I do like how you have Wing cap in special stages but you become Metal Mario when actually transforming, that's a really nice touch.
Speaking of speed, JEEZ LOUISE is N64 Mario FAST! His acceleration and top speed match SRB2 instead of Mario 64, and every move is designed to make him go even faster than THAT. Jump, ground-pound into boosted roll, jump, HOO-HOO (lunge), and all of a sudden speed! Combined with jumps scaling with speed and you can leap almost everywhere! That, and being able to boost the power of springs by ground-pounding let me beat most stages setting the gravity to 0.75 with pandora's box! (default is 0.5)
That said, I did find a few quirks with the controls. Holding down spin, pressing jump, and instantly ground-pounding feels super odd to me, the ground pound itself sometimes has Mario instantly stand, making me unable to use that ground-pound jump, it's possible to hit the floor instantly after starting a ground pound if you time it right, meaning you zip right into a super fast roll right away, and boy do I HATE swimming!
In Mario 64, you have a super-slow doggy-paddle towards wherever Mario is facing, but here, swimming acts more like a slow height-locker, keeping you in the air where you are at and giving you poor control over going upwards AND downwards. Worse, you can still stand underwater! In 64, you could only do so with a Metal Cap. Here? Swimming is never worth giving up any of Mario's base kit, which mostly works BETTER underwater, like the ground-pound-jump giving way more height, or the roll still giving you all the speed it normally does in spite of other abilities like the thok being slowed! I like not being able to swim on accident anymore, and I like being able to cancel it now, giving an easy way to fall without slowing down, but swimming is still so underwhelming. It was easier to drown as 1.0 Mario 64 than it was as Sonic, and... that's just silly.
That, and swimming isn't worth losing even just basic running, because swimming is so painfully slow that just walking underwater is faster, nevermind any ability that brings you faster than that. Only being able to swim upwards for one boost is just the icing on the cake.
There's a lot of moves in Mario 64 that just aren't here, like the slide kick, wall jump, side jump and triple jump, and while I feel some are fine being ignored, like the slide kick (you already added a roll that's just faster than spindashing) and tree-climbing (would be amusing, but super impractical), I feel like Mario not having a triple-jump or a wall-kick is very... odd. Heck, you could go the 64 DS route and add a standard wall-cling + walljump combo. Maybe you make it so you can't wallkick off a dive, but you add a long-jump that can go into a wall-kick? There's a lot you could add that would make N64 Mario a lot more fun to mess around with.
Right now, Mario doesn't really have a moveset even close to the expansive, super-fun game he bases himself off of. That said, he's still very fun to play with, being unusually fast and being able to soar through the air with ease. Would be super cool if this got more updates in the future!

Its about time the MB got a proper release of Mario.

What he may lack in triple jumps, he seems to more than make up for in vertical movement and diversity.

Now we just need a N64 model.

For people most of these people who play this mod who say this is not sm64 don't pay attention to the name of the character, It's N64 Mario not SM64 Mario also most of the abilities from mario 64 would not work well, also its not easy to do lua, you think doing lua is easy? Anyways, just wanted to point this out to anyone who comes into here to say "This is not SM64 Mario."
Post automatically merged:

...Is the lunge jump supposed to be absolutely useless when you're falling fast enough? I mean, I get not having the lunge give you any height after a certain point... but it does nothing. Not even a slight speed boost.
Having Metal Mario boost jump height and speed like every other super form feels... odd to me. I imagined Metal Mario might have a shockwave when he ground pounds, much like how Knuckles does when landing after canceling a glide, but it's just a stat boost. I do like how you have Wing cap in special stages but you become Metal Mario when actually transforming, that's a really nice touch.
Speaking of speed, JEEZ LOUISE is N64 Mario FAST! His acceleration and top speed match SRB2 instead of Mario 64, and every move is designed to make him go even faster than THAT. Jump, ground-pound into boosted roll, jump, HOO-HOO (lunge), and all of a sudden speed! Combined with jumps scaling with speed and you can leap almost everywhere! That, and being able to boost the power of springs by ground-pounding let me beat most stages setting the gravity to 0.75 with pandora's box! (default is 0.5)
That said, I did find a few quirks with the controls. Holding down spin, pressing jump, and instantly ground-pounding feels super odd to me, the ground pound itself sometimes has Mario instantly stand, making me unable to use that ground-pound jump, it's possible to hit the floor instantly after starting a ground pound if you time it right, meaning you zip right into a super fast roll right away, and boy do I HATE swimming!
In Mario 64, you have a super-slow doggy-paddle towards wherever Mario is facing, but here, swimming acts more like a slow height-locker, keeping you in the air where you are at and giving you poor control over going upwards AND downwards. Worse, you can still stand underwater! In 64, you could only do so with a Metal Cap. Here? Swimming is never worth giving up any of Mario's base kit, which mostly works BETTER underwater, like the ground-pound-jump giving way more height, or the roll still giving you all the speed it normally does in spite of other abilities like the thok being slowed! I like not being able to swim on accident anymore, and I like being able to cancel it now, giving an easy way to fall without slowing down, but swimming is still so underwhelming. It was easier to drown as 1.0 Mario 64 than it was as Sonic, and... that's just silly.
That, and swimming isn't worth losing even just basic running, because swimming is so painfully slow that just walking underwater is faster, nevermind any ability that brings you faster than that. Only being able to swim upwards for one boost is just the icing on the cake.
There's a lot of moves in Mario 64 that just aren't here, like the slide kick, wall jump, side jump and triple jump, and while I feel some are fine being ignored, like the slide kick (you already added a roll that's just faster than spindashing) and tree-climbing (would be amusing, but super impractical), I feel like Mario not having a triple-jump or a wall-kick is very... odd. Heck, you could go the 64 DS route and add a standard wall-cling + walljump combo. Maybe you make it so you can't wallkick off a dive, but you add a long-jump that can go into a wall-kick? There's a lot you could add that would make N64 Mario a lot more fun to mess around with.
Right now, Mario doesn't really have a moveset even close to the expansive, super-fun game he bases himself off of. That said, he's still very fun to play with, being unusually fast and being able to soar through the air with ease. Would be super cool if this got more updates in the future!
Also dude 1. I think they said that they aren't adding anything anytime soon, also it's srb2, playing as normal n64 Mario with his momentum and moves would make egg rock zone IMMPOSSIBLE, but I respect your opinion though...even if it was like a paragraph XD

Last edited:
sounds cool but its "etc." not "ext"

I get certain moves would not fit SRB2, but I still think this character could use the Triple Jump and MAYBE a basic wallkick. I just found out about this character and those are the only real complaints I had. I remember that old Mario mod OtherChen made (aptly called "Blario") had a working Triple Jump that really didn't break the game at all. I really feel that's what this character kind of needs at most. (Similar to how Mario Sunshine handled without FLUDD, more or less)

Either way though, It's your mod. And I can't exactly demand any changes. Just give my own two cents and personal suggestions.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back