How do you feel about the thok being replaced?

I like Sonic as a vanilla character that forces you to play the stage as intended. Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic, and Fang all have abilities that let them violate intended stage sequencing. A character who can't break sequence ever is a good baseline for both stage designers and players.

For custom level packs, I've considered locking all characters other than Sonic at the beginning of the game, so unlocking a new character provides a new-game-plus experience where you interact with a stage differently.
There's an argument to be made that the baseline itself needs to be adjusted, but that's a discussion all of its own.

I like Sonic as a vanilla character that forces you to play the stage as intended. Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic, and Fang all have abilities that let them violate intended stage sequencing. A character who can't break sequence ever is a good baseline for both stage designers and players.

For custom level packs, I've considered locking all characters other than Sonic at the beginning of the game, so unlocking a new character provides a new-game-plus experience where you interact with a stage differently.
exactly! he shouldn't be given tools to get over sections the player has never played/mastered yet.

In my opinion, the Thok should stay. BUT, if it MUST be replaced, just give Sonic the Homing Attack, the Drop Dash, or I-Ninja-esque wallrunning.
Context: https://ininja.fandom.com/wiki/Wall_running
1686817337432.png

ok.
since you guys can't decide i'll just tell you guys my POV.
so, im fine with thok being replaced as long as it's still a charability that we can just change to.
if they remove thok as a charability, then thats just bias due to slowfall, and some other old stuff are still allowed while thok's charability is dead.
also, telling us to mod it ourselves is kinda rude.
why can't you leave it just like CA_SLOWFALL
(alright its time for no more slowfall talk)

ok.
since you guys can't decide i'll just tell you guys my POV.
so, im fine with thok being replaced as long as it's still a charability that we can just change to.
if they remove thok as a charability, then thats just bias due to slowfall, and some other old stuff are still allowed while thok's charability is dead.
also, telling us to mod it ourselves is kinda rude.
why can't you leave it just like CA_SLOWFALL
(alright its time for no more slowfall talk)
You do know even if it's still in the files, you would still have to mod it in to be Sonic's main ability, right?

can't you just do P_SKIN
then just put charability 1 and skin sonic? its really simple. (modding it in would be really easy like that)
It doesn't matter how easy it is, if your adding a file to replace Sonic's ability with the thok it would still just be modding the thok back in

if the thok was removed as a character ability (CA_), then people would need to mod it back in via lua, but if it just stayed as a CA_ ability, and sonic's ability was either:
* hardcoded
* or had a new CA_ slot
then it would be easier to just P_SKIN it instead of doing lua coding, assuming the thok does not change at all throughout 2.2 patches and does not change in v2.3
but referring to one as "modding it in" and the other as "not modding it in" is still wrong, both are technically modding, just one is much easier as long as you have SLADE or something.

that is kinda true
i mean srb2 has such a big modding community they could just replace every character with an oc and say "oh if you want it to be sonic just mod it in" like they didn't just change the entire game to not be sonic for no particular reason other than the very rare chance of being striked by sega
ofc, they wouldn't do that
right?
but still, they could completely game change srb2, and when fans send backlash for whatever reason, "just mod it in" is gonna be first result, especially if the entire team is on board with said change, and the community is not
kinda like how the thok (and possibly ringslinger) in 2.3 is going rn
Post automatically merged:

well we do have plenty of sonic mods already so more would just be a hassle

that is kinda true
i mean srb2 has such a big modding community they could just replace every character with an oc and say "oh if you want it to be sonic just mod it in" like they didn't just change the entire game to not be sonic for no particular reason other than the very rare chance of being striked by sega
ofc, they wouldn't do that
right?
but still, they could completely game change srb2, and when fans send backlash for whatever reason, "just mod it in" is gonna be first result, especially if the entire team is on board with said change, and the community is not
kinda like how the thok (and possibly ringslinger) in 2.3 is going rn
Post automatically merged:

well we do have plenty of sonic mods already so more would just be a hassle
if ringslinger gets removed im gonna be depressed

I appreciate the thok for its high skill ceiling, but the move not being beginner-friendly is definitely a valid criticism. If it does get replaced someday, I think it would be best if the core nature of the thok is preserved (to an extent) but tweaked/edited so that new players can pick it up easily, but seeing speedrunners utilize the thok to take advantage of the level design/geometry to shave off seconds is super interesting, the move itself created a ton of routing opportunities - giving it a bit more depth for a relatively simple move. It still doesn't take away from the fact that there are issues with the thok's skill floor (which could probably be fixed by designing the move around some sort of "gradual learning" kinda philosophy, letting beginners test the ability in more open spaces, and rewarding the player for getting the hang of the replacement ability), but I still wouldn't mind it staying.

Last edited:
i feel like you could prolly move the thok to a move you perform by pressing the spin button in the air, and make the jump action a nerfed jumpthok, only real issue with these options is
a. you can't thok with a shield
b. you aren't able to hold spin in the air when preparing to roll off a slope without thoking

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back