How do you feel about the thok being replaced?

How about they just make a hybrid or a option for it
Having the direct option to change how the game works is a bit farfetched. At that point, just add a new character who has the thok. I mean, I'm sure they're not gonna do that, but being able to toggle which jump-ability Sonic has is just too much. Besides, because of how character PK3s are structured, it might be hard to implement it in the first place.

-> New players get a beginner friendly sonic
-> Old players get to still use the thok
Imagine if we did this for every change. I don't want a game that only half commits to every change and practically contains the entire previous version in it. If you don't want the game to change, keep playing a version that doesn't. 2.2 isn't going anywhere

-> New players get a beginner friendly sonic
-> Old players get to still use the thok
Even then it's not going to mesh with the (hopefully new) level design and physics in the future. Despite me being pretty much indifferent to the whole thing in general, I believe that if the devs are going to take the thok away from Sonic, it should just be gone from the game in general. I felt like the idea you proposed is somewhat shallow, because that 2.1 Sonic isn't going to add anything new nor interesting (which was the point of the 2.2 secret characters) - his sole purpose is to provide an ability that won't work well in the future. It's just a lazy way to "fix" the issue.

If 2.3 does end up changing sonic's main ability then I would at least want the thok to be preserved in the base game without mods, it just feels wrong to remove such a staple ability

Let me add my 0.5 cents to the situation
I think (and this is my opinion) that the replacement for the thok should be the rebound dash if they end up committing to replacing the thok.
And now let me explain why.
The main argument against the thok is it's suitability to begginers, some people have suggested allowing you to swap abilities, which I don't think it will work in a game like SRB2.
But i've gotten off topic
Anyways, so a lot of begginers (and me sometimes) accidentally thok into a wall and fall into a death pit, well the rebound dash solves that specific example.
The main argument for the thok is that it can be used in a nearly infinite amount of ways once you have gotten used to it, same thing for the rebound dash, you can rebound into a wall and go forward to extend jumps or use it to gain height to reach places Sonic cannot normally reach. My point is that if they want to replace the thok they should use the rebound dash because it minimizes the problems that both the power spin and thok create, but I think they shouldn't because it has been in the game for 23 years and is very iconic.

Let me add my 0.5 cents to the situation
I think (and this is my opinion) that the replacement for the thok should be the rebound dash if they end up committing to replacing the thok.
And now let me explain why.
The main argument against the thok is it's suitability to begginers, some people have suggested allowing you to swap abilities, which I don't think it will work in a game like SRB2.
But i've gotten off topic
Anyways, so a lot of begginers (and me sometimes) accidentally thok into a wall and fall into a death pit, well the rebound dash solves that specific example.
The main argument for the thok is that it can be used in a nearly infinite amount of ways once you have gotten used to it, same thing for the rebound dash, you can rebound into a wall and go forward to extend jumps or use it to gain height to reach places Sonic cannot normally reach. My point is that if they want to replace the thok they should use the rebound dash because it minimizes the problems that both the power spin and thok create, but I think they shouldn't because it has been in the game for 23 years and is very iconic.
See, people keep saying "the rebound dash should replace the thok!" and, yeah the rebound dash is a pretty cool ability, but the main problem is that give sonic, a purely horizontal character practically free vertical height. You can cheese alot, and I mean ALOT of sections with the rebound dash fairly easily the first time through. Unlike the thok, where you need to master how to use it to do all those skips you can just do all the skips on your first playthrough, that isn't what classic sonic is all about. Its about learning the levels and the rebound dash just skips past that by giving you the ability to skip entire sections of level design. Sonic should have to go through all of the set level design that the game devs made and only be given the ability to skip it (thus mastering it) if they played it alot. If you wanna go exploring Tails and Knuckles exist. Also wall things should be kept to knuckles only

See, people keep saying "the rebound dash should replace the thok!" and, yeah the rebound dash is a pretty cool ability, but the main problem is that give sonic, a purely horizontal character practically free vertical height. You can cheese alot, and I mean ALOT of sections with the rebound dash fairly easily the first time through. Unlike the thok, where you need to master how to use it to do all those skips you can just do all the skips on your first playthrough, that isn't what classic sonic is all about. Its about learning the levels and the rebound dash just skips past that by giving you the ability to skip entire sections of level design. Sonic should have to go through all of the set level design that the game devs made and only be given the ability to skip it (thus mastering it) if they played it alot. If you wanna go exploring Tails and Knuckles exist. Also wall things should be kept to knuckles only
Who says sonic needs to be purely horizontal? And who says wall things need to be knuckles exclusive? You're assuming things need to be true just because they have been true. I'll tell you come this g that have been true. Amy has practically no vertical ability so she is forced to play the levels dev intended, so sonic does not need to do the same thing. The sprites made by SSN tails were in the game for nearly as long as the thok, and that didn't stop everyone from loving the new sprites. All these things have been true in the past, and who says they can't be true now? If we really want to make the game a "proper" 3d classic sonic game then the "correct" answer is to replace the thok with the double jump, as that was the only ability classic sonic has ever had in 3d

Who says sonic needs to be purely horizontal? And who says wall things need to be knuckles exclusive? You're assuming things need to be true just because they have been true. I'll tell you come this g that have been true. Amy has practically no vertical ability so she is forced to play the levels dev intended, so sonic does not need to do the same thing. The sprites made by SSN tails were in the game for nearly as long as the thok, and that didn't stop everyone from loving the new sprites. All these things have been true in the past, and who says they can't be true now? If we really want to make the game a "proper" 3d classic sonic game then the "correct" answer is to replace the thok with the double jump, as that was the only ability classic sonic has ever had in 3d
Amy has her hammer to use spring boost to skip level design normally, Sonic has nothing to skip level design normally unless you use and abuse the terrain around you, every character in srb2 has some form of free vertical movement in some way other than sonic and I think it should stay that way. Also, Amy is a unlockable character, so if she was the intended way the game was supposed to be played, then why is there a chance that the player would never even see amy at all. All the power spin (and more so the rebound dash) do is give sonic things he never needed in the first place

Amy has her hammer to use spring boost to skip level design normally, Sonic has nothing to skip level design normally unless you use and abuse the terrain around you, every character in srb2 has some form of free vertical movement in some way other than sonic and I think it should stay that way. Also, Amy is a unlockable character, so if she was the intended way the game was supposed to be played, then why is there a chance that the player would never even see amy at all. All the power spin (and more so the rebound dash) do is give sonic things he never needed in the first place
There's nothing more "abusing the terrain around you" then bouncing off walls like a ping pong ball at an optimal angle to reach your destination

There's nothing more "abusing the terrain around you" then bouncing off walls like a ping pong ball at an optimal angle to reach your destination
Yeah but not only does that not require any skill at all, it also, like I said gives sonic more things that he never needed in the first place Sonic can already abuse the terrain without bouncing off walls. He doesn't need it.

Yeah but not only does that not require any skill at all, it also, like I said gives sonic more things that he never needed in the first place Sonic can already abuse the terrain without bouncing off walls. He doesn't need it.
First of all, we are talking about the rebound dash concept, not the mod. If the mod is not skillful enough then we just make it skillfuller. Second of all, I'm so sorry, here I was thinking sonic should have an ability that is the most fun, I completely failed to take into account what he needs to succeed as a person. I am sure you have his best interests at heart.

First of all, we are talking about the rebound dash concept, not the mod. If the mod is not skillful enough then we just make it skillfuller. Second of all, I'm so sorry, here I was thinking sonic should have an ability that is the most fun, I completely failed to take into account what he needs to succeed as a person. I am sure you have his best interests at heart.
The rebound dash is literally just the thok with an extra gimmick that didn't need to be there in the first place. The thok is already a fun ability to use and it goes hand and hand with how classic sonic is in general.

The rebound dash is literally just the thok with an extra gimmick that didn't need to be there in the first place. The thok is already a fun ability to use and it goes hand and hand with how classic sonic is in general
The thok is a fun ability to use, and I dont think they should replace it, but trying to skip parts of levels is part of what makes classic sonic so fun, and is it really that easy to use the rebound dash to skip compared to Tail's and Knuckle's abilitys?

The rebound dash is literally just the thok with an extra gimmick that didn't need to be there in the first place. The thok is already a fun ability to use and it goes hand and hand with how classic sonic is in general.
The rebound dash is a thok with nuance and a gimmick that makes it more fun to use. The variable length alone makes it a better platforming ability then the thok ever was. I'm not too sure why you would think the ability who's only purpose is to give you top speed on a silver platter goes well with a game series about attaining and maintaining speed.

The thok is a fun ability to use, and I dont think they should replace it, but trying to skip parts of levels is part of what makes classic sonic so fun, and is it really that easy to use the rebound dash to skip compared to Tail's and Knuckle's abilitys?
If you wanna skip sections of classic sonic as sonic, you got to put in the work to do so, you don't just double jump on a wall and magically get to go over what you want to go over, you learn the levels and use them to go over what you want to go over, it requires level mastery, skipping sections is not just something that should be given like candy

The rebound dash is a thok with nuance and a gimmick that makes it more fun to use. The variable length alone makes it a better platforming ability then the thok ever was. I'm not too sure why you would think the ability who's only purpose is to give you top speed on a silver platter goes well with a game series about attaining and maintaining speed.
On the inverse however, its hard to use it. Sure your given speed by a press of a button, but that speed isn't always going to be a good thing, sometimes during platforming sections, the thok can put you in a even worse situation. Once you get good it becomes "Oh, I can thok in this place now because I learned how to use it throughout my playthrough" It isn't simply giving you speed, its giving you speed and expects you to know what to do with it once you double tap that button. That's what classic sonic is all about, learning the levels, and using what you learned to speedrun them. Not just double jumping on walls and skipping all challenge

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back