MotdSpork

Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
Hail to the king, baby. Duke Nukem is here in SRB2 and ready to kick some ass. Eggman stole all of earths babes so Duke needs to stop him and save them all! (no I don't know why Eggman would do this but Duke needs motivation :V)
di5ANOg.jpg

Unlike your average Sonic character (Shadow not included), Duke uses firearms. There is a variety of weapons you can obtain by destroying monitors. Including but not limited to, a pump action shotgun, a shrinkray, and akimbo rocket launchers.
Duke will also collect items which can be used upon pickup or stored in his inventory for later use. Duke also quite a few buttons for switching and using inventory items, switching weapons, and his Mighty Boot.

Weapons:
Mighty Boot - Damage: 30/per kick - Capacity: Infinite
Technically not a weapon in it's own right. That doesnt stop Duke from kicking in the hull of any badnik he can find. You have to get close but it's a decent way to save ammo. Don't try on tougher enemies.
Pistol - Damage: 6/per bullet - Capacity: 200

SQoRVR5.png
Common weapon: The weapon Duke starts with. His trusty pistol. It doesn't do a lot of damage but it can hold a decent amount of ammo. Useful for killing low health enemies or for destroying monitors for new weapons. Can fire as fast as you pull the trigger.
Shotgun - Damage 10/per pellet - Capacity: 50

Eb9Wyfj.png
Common weapon: The Shotgun fires 7 pellets per shot meaning it can do up to 70 damage a hit. Capable of taking down most enemies with 1-2 shots.
Chaingun Cannon - Damage 9/per bullet - Capacity: 200

N9KBIM8.png
Common weapon: This bullet hose is great for mowing down groups of enemies. It's high firerate means it will rip through ammo so be cautious of your ammo count.
RPG - Damage 140/per rocket - Capacity: 50

GI6lZDS.png
Rare weapon: The RPG has the highest damage output of any weapon. Able to do 140 damage normally or 280 on a direct hit. Careful, It is just as deadly to Duke as it is to his enemies.
Shrinker - Damage 0 - Capacity: 50

z1t5YGI.png
Rare weapon. The Shrinker does not do any damage, however upon contact, it will shrink down almost any enemy. While an enemy is shrunk, Duke can walk over them to squish them under his boot. Being able to take down any enemy with one shot makes this weapon a great ammo conserver.
Devastator - Damage 38/per rocket - Capacity: 99

n3xrPOZ.png
Rare weapon. The Devastator is an akimbo rocket launcher which quickly fires in alternating bursts of 2 rockets. It's blast damage is low, making it good for CQC. Does lower damage than the rpg but makes up for it in firerate and ammo capacity.
Freezethrower - Damage 20/per crystal - Capacity: 99

nDkTH1h.png
Rare weapon. The freezethrower is capable of freezing just about any enemy. When an enemy is frozen, any damage dealt will shatter them into pieces. Enemies that are frozen midair will also drop and shatter upon hitting the ground.

Pickups:
Small Medkit
8Ui0CMX.png
Picking this up will return 10 health to Duke. Up to 100 health. Used on pickup.
Large Medkit

oXOHB6j.png
Will return 30 health to Duke. Up to 100 health. Used on pickup.
Atomic health

uy6NGmC.png
Will return 50 health to Duke. Up to 200 health. Used on pickup.
Armor

cvoYPmd.png
Will reduce damage Duke takes by 2/3. Used on pickup.
Portable Medkit

idwWUrx.png
A Medkit which can be used anywhere to heal Duke. Up to 100 health. Use on keypress.
Steroids

5pUDcvt.png
Duke loves steroids. Consuming these will double Duke's top speed, quadruple Duke's kick strengh, and prevent Duke from being shrunk down by the shrinker in DukeMatch. Use on keypress.
Jetpack

bKJ4kU9.png
Overpowered in vertical stages. The jetpack allows duke to fly as long as he has fuel. He can also have other players hold onto his legs for a free ride. Toggles with keypress.
Scuba Gear

SRR2BsH.png
Scuba Gear allows Duke to breath underwater and in space as long as he has oxygen in it. Has a long lifespan. Used automatically.
Protective boots

mJu5WM1.png
These boots are immune to a lot of things. Wearing them allows Duke to walk on any hazardous material. They also let Duke walk on spikes. Used automatically.

Controls:
Mighty boot
Use Custom 1 to kick anything in your path.
Inventory Switching and Usage

Use Custom 2 and 3 to switch inventory slots. When the item you want is selected, press Tossflag to use it.
Firing

Press fire to....fire your gun. :l
Weapon Changing

You can use WeaponNext and WeaponPrev to change your currently selected weapon. You can also use 1-7 on your keyboard.
Super form alt

Duke does not have a traditional super form. While I won't spoil the reward here until a later date. The only thing I'll say is Firenormal when full. Go nuts.

Changes from other characters:
Physics changes
Duke's physics are very different from SRB2's. His acceleration is near instant, his jump is quicker, and he very quickly stops moving when no directional key is pressed.
Health system

Duke uses health instead of rings. He can refill health from health pickups, portable medkits, and even rings themselves. He dies when health is 0.
Fall damage

Fall damage in a platformer...you gotta be kidding me. Yep, Duke can take fall damage just like in Duke3D. Careful exploring!

Tips and Tricks:
*Shotgun jumping - Unlike in Duke3D, the Shotgun has high recoil. With this in mind, aiming at the floor and firing will boost the player upwards. Use this for extra height! Use with steroids while firing straight to gain massive speed.

*Finding weapons - Make sure to spend time destroying monitors to find weapons and stock up on ammo. Enemies also can drop health and ammo on death.

*Bosses - Make sure to have some heavy weaponry for bosses. Weapons like the RPG, Devastator, and to an extent, the Freezethrower are very effective on bosses. Don't try to shrink them though. It doesn't work. Keep in mind that they dont enter a painstate. Unload until they die!

*Inventory management - Managing your inventory for when you need it will maximize its usage. Jetpack for verticality, Medkit for tough situations, and Steroids for...long stretches of nothing or just zipping around for fun!

*Duke has autoaim by default. You don't need to aim directly at an enemy for the bullets to hit them.

Commands:
Inventory
Uses arg as inventory. Arguments [1/2/3], [next,prev], [current]. 1 is Medkit, 2 is Steroids, 3 is jetpack. Prev/Next switches inventory slots. Current uses your currently selected item. Try binding it to keys! Bind J "inventory 3" - Will make J toggle the Jetpack.
Dukebuttons

Arguments [On/Off] Toggles the use of custom 2/3/Tossflag incase you want to use the inventory command binds instead. Default is On
Giannivoices

Arguments [On/Off] Toggles the Gianni voice clips instead of the default. Default is Off
Autoaim

Arguments [Always/Hitscan/off] Toggles the use of Aim assist. Always will make everything have autoaim. Hitscan will only make the hitscan weapons have autoaim. Off is...off. Default is Always.

Credits:
BlueBlur: EasterEgg c:
TripelTheFox: Bullet spawning and wallbreaking code from TailsGuy
Lach: HUD bobbing code and other misc help
SuperPhanto: Hitscan bullet code and making the sign post for duke
DrStephen: "Firework" for endgame with all emeralds
MotorRoach: For ripping all the Gianni voice lines - these are hilarious
CobaltBW: Letting me use his custom P_LookForEnemies from BattleMod
Furless: For helping me test dukematch stuff in Duke3D so I could implement it here
Golden: Helping Understand how to streamline with tables. This reduced the code quite a bit!
Unnamed friend: Help with a massive amount of code. Including mega tables, tons of functions, and overall tons of help. Thanks!

Special thanks to Gianni Matragrano for his hilarious Duke impressions. Link to his Twitter here: https://twitter.com/GetGianni?s=09

Testers: BlueBlur, DragonFlame42, DrStephen, Emi, Frostiikin, Furless, Starlight, SuperPhanto, Bloops, GoldenShine, Rumia, CrystallineGazer, MotorRoach, Logan8r

DukeNukem.cfg is included in the .zip file. This works as an autoexec and has binds for the inventory command stored in it. It is all the default keybindings used in Duke3D. Modify however you like.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20228.gif
    srb20228.gif
    4 MB · Views: 1,212
  • srb20230.gif
    srb20230.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 886
  • srb20232.gif
    srb20232.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 663
  • srb20233.gif
    srb20233.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 497
  • srb20235.gif
    srb20235.gif
    5.5 MB · Views: 500
  • srb20236.gif
    srb20236.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 674
  • srb20240.gif
    srb20240.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 626
  • srb20241.gif
    srb20241.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 475
  • CL_DukeNukem-V1.0.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 9,106
Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Spork, he's finally out... It's been a blast helping you out with Duke, both in funny ways and serious ways. I'm glad Duke's released!

I've been seeing progress over the past several weeks in the Community Server so I am really excited to check this out.

It's time for him to chew gum and kick ass.

Duke Nukem: But I'm all out of gum.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

This shows how far I'm willing to go just to play Duke Nukem on my phone.

srb20009.gif

I cannot take the chew gum seriously because of the kick gum one...

Last edited:
wGkdvW8.png

Jokes aside, awesome, simply awesome mod, i saw this on the trailer and OH MY GOD, it looks amazing.
Can't wait to try it out!

I don't know what came down from the heavens one day to possess you, basically making this your job for the past month, but now...we have Duke Nukem in SRB2. Halleluja, it's a friggin' miracle.

Just like with Modern, your efforts and soul are really shining through in this! Congrats on the release, you seriously deserve the break.

I have just one issue with Duke. When fighting a boss, I can't tell if I'm doing any damage.

I'm not a really big fan of Duke (I think that his humor hasn't aged too well with the 80-90's action movie quote and his comments toward women) but I really like to see a fully-fledged character in another game (like Duke in Half-Life)

This character is so fun! Just in helping test him out I learned new things about SRB2's levels I didn't know before! And by extension, it introduced me to Duke Nukem as a game, which I was kinda interested in before, but now I have more reason to play now! Regardless, the future for this character is looking bright! :D

* Samus gets relased *

Duke: Finally, a worthy opponent... OUR BATTLE WILL BE LEGENDARY!!!

jokes aside it's a good character, it's pretty fun to play with him and now we have a buddy for tailsguy

It's time to kick gum and chew ass,and i'm all out of ass,damn.

sorry bud.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back