• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

ALDC (Adventure level design collab) W.I.P Thread

MrBoingBD

"Just a guy who loves adventure!"
ALDC LOGO FULL.png

OUTDATED PLEASE VISIT THE MOST RECENT PAGE AS OF 9/25/2024

Now you're probably wondering. "adventure level design collab" What does that even mean?

Well sit back a minute, and let me explain. (I'm not great at writing these thread intros so lets just do this.)

This is the "ALDC" This is a collab between multiple mappers just like the OLDC and ULDC, BUT with a twist!

Where you can test your ZoneBuilding skills at an AdventureDX/Adventure 2 Battle, inspired stage!
along with making them wider, and more open than a usual stage!

And if anyone wanted to make a stage based of the character addon ADVENTURE SONIC, Than now's your excuse!
(Its optional, but allowed and encouraged)

Further answers are in the server. If you're down for a being part of a collab, and consider yourself pretty good at mapping. Than what are you waiting for?
Hop in the discord and join us!

Here's a gif of a heavy W.I.P hub for the ALDC!
srb20211.gif

This is just a small part of the hub. Its going to be similar to a "hangout" map.

(EDIT: Current gif of the hub is outdated look further down this thread for more recent teasers.)

Last edited:
MAJOR progress report here!

Got one part of the hub in a good state. Still can be tweaked. But for the most part, its mostly done.
Insert the FOREST:

srb20217.gif
srb20218.gif

I'd say I still have 80% left on this HUB. My goal is to match the adventure 1 hub worlds vibe.

I got WAY more progress done since last time!

Here's some more teasers:
srb20236.gif

srb20237.gif
srb20238.gif

srb20239.gif

srb20240.gif

Still gotta lot of work ahead of me. About 70%? done with this whole hub so far. Its gonna be mainly detailing work from now on. making everything look less bland. (and easter eggs.)

How many maps have been submitted so far? It looks to me like finding the actual entries will prove tricky unless the number of entries end up rivaling the OLDC. Even then people have already been getting lost finding the maps they want to play in that contest.

I also wonder if the drowning countdown is disabled for the hub as well, people usually associate hubs with being a safe area.

None. Though I still have mine in the works. Free free to join.
How many maps have been submitted so far? It looks to me like finding the actual entries will prove tricky unless the number of entries end up rivaling the OLDC. Even then people have already been getting lost finding the maps they want to play in that contest.

I also wonder if the drowning countdown is disabled for the hub as well, people usually associate hubs with being a safe area.

None. Though I still have mine in the works. Free free to join.
i think what mr beagle is getting at is that you're very much doing things out of order here; you're creating a huge hub world to facilitate a map pack that doesn't have any stages yet. it looks like a fun map, sure, but say for example that you only end up with about eight stages. that's a huge map that you're going to have to do laps around to find only eight stages.

there's a reason the OLDC staff makes their hub world after the stages have been submitted, so that they can build a hub that accomodates for how many stages there are. compare the 2022 OLDCs' relatively light stage counts and 2023's very high counts and you'll see what i mean.

im sure you can probably release the current hub as a fun hangout stage, but i'd recommend holding off on actually making a hub at all until you've got the stage selection finalised.

i think what mr beagle is getting at is that you're very much doing things out of order here; you're creating a huge hub world to facilitate a map pack that doesn't have any stages yet. it looks like a fun map, sure, but say for example that you only end up with about eight stages. that's a huge map that you're going to have to do laps around to find only eight stages.

there's a reason the OLDC staff makes their hub world after the stages have been submitted, so that they can build a hub that accomodates for how many stages there are. compare the 2022 OLDCs' relatively light stage counts and 2023's very high counts and you'll see what i mean.

im sure you can probably release the current hub as a fun hangout stage, but i'd recommend holding off on actually making a hub at all until you've got the stage selection finalised.
Honestly I was kind of still waking up when I made that post, so excuse my incompetence there.

I see your point with making the hub world after every stage as been completed.
But, I'm only allowing 15 stages max, No more. that way it isn't getting overloaded. there is way more than enough space for the stages.

also the stages are going to be in spots that the mappers choose in the hub world. or I can place it for them. the hub is easy to navigate. and the stage portals will be just as easy to locate. (stage portals will also be clustered together)

another thing is, at this point I'm basically almost done with the hub, just detailing and making things overall look better. not really a point in stopping now.

(Side note: The hub world IS meant to be like a hangout map. But also I wanted a SA(DX) adventure world vibe.)

Thanks for your concern about the project!

Last edited:
HELLO!
I'm M1STQ ( also known as The Tree )
And I'm A part of this collab. so I want to show off my work and entry. ( its still a heavy wip )
What is a History Reimagined Level
( a level that almost got canceled.)
is now part of the ALDC

View attachment srb20282.gif

woo.. react.. come on react.

its.....

A level.....

a boring remake of Aerial Garden.
Ya ya. its not that great I know. I mean its still a wip.
Now if the textures seem familiar. That's because The Texture Soruces are The Community Assets. and the amazing MRCE Project
(they are both open assets)

soo ya I just wanted to share what I'm working on. Thanks MrBoingBD For the rayma- I meant. for hosting. ya (:
I'm having fun spending HOURS in ZB without focusing on my life.
(Last thing. common misconception. people think I made this with UZB. but I made it in normal zone builder. so ya. just needed to clarify this)
Bye​

Last edited:
This thread's been dead for awhile, However, Due to demands in the ALDC server we are requesting more people.

Help make stages and support the project, the max stages has been boosted to 20.

We'd love to see you all here!

Yo, The thread for this collabs been dead awhile. But there's still slow progress going on.

We got SIX stages in progress by some pretty cool mappers/people.

Including me:
srb20001.gif

Here's a new link for anyone that's interested

Making a complete redo of the intro of this thread, Because I had no Idea what I was doing.

Welcome..

TO THE ALDC!

(logo removed due to drama being associated, it will be replaced)

Or, Adventure Level design collab!

So "adventure level design collab" huh? How does this work?

This is a collab between multiple mappers just like the OLDC and ULDC, BUT with a Adventurey twist!

Where you can test your ZoneBuilding skills at an Adventure1(DX) and/or Adventure 2 (Battle), inspired stage!
Test them by using lots of slopes, and wide areas.

Did you ever want to make a stage based of the character addon ADVENTURE SONIC? now's your excuse!
As your required to use him for this collab! but that doesn't stop you from adding support for other modded characters!

ALDC LEVEL GUIDELINES OVERVIEW:

#1: Try to make your Level design Based/styled around sonic adventure 1 and/or 2. (Its ok if it doesn't turn out that way.)

#2: Attempt to make your Levels wider and open, with more slope usage

#3: Base levels around the "Adventure sonic" addon by @Metalwario64 and @Golden Shine . Use the speed, and abilities into account. But you don't have focus on them.

#4: Be creative!

#5: Try to aim for 1 minute and 30 seconds (1:30) for an average run with adventure sonic minimum. (though adventure sonic is a busted character to don't sweat if you can beat the level slightly faster.)

Mappers Level's Showcase:

(myself) @MrBoingBD :

"FrostEdge:"
srb20018.gif

srb20019.gif

srb20020.gif

@endlessonic :

"Frosty Peaks"
srb20243.gif

@Modern.Sonic-(TrueBlue) :

"Summit Sunset":
srb20254.gif

@Pallaris :

"Silver Flow":
View attachment srb20029.gif
&

("Unnamed carnival"):
View attachment srb20007.gif

That's the end of the mappers showcase!

Thanks to all the members working on this collab, Its been a pleasure so far!

Further answers (Q&A) and teasers are in the discord server. Think your up for the challenge?
Well If you're down for a being part of a collab, and consider yourself pretty good at mapping. And willing to learn more. Than what are you waiting for!
Hop in the discord and join us fellow mappers!

39whs6.jpg

We are currently looking for at least 5 - 10 more mappers for this collab. once that condition is met. Joining will be closed until release.

Last edited:
Maybe you could edit the first post in this thread so people won’t have to search for the redone introduction when more posts will stack up on top of it. And you also can put the old version in a spoiler for preservation’s sake if you want.

And too bad that I already released TWO SA1/SA2 styled stages! >:C Maybe there still might be a chance for me to join, but I don’t know if my creativity will give me permission to do so. (I milked myself out of ideas for stages. :<) But from my experience with this style of level design, I think I’m able to share some stuff that if used wisely can make a pretty cool stage dynamic.

So the level design between SA1 and SA2 is way different. SA1 is more of a 3D translation of classic games. With the higher and lower paths, way more open areas and more incentive for exploration. But SA2 on the other hand is more focused. You have a single focused paths that only have small opportunities to go faster instead of you being able to access brand new paths to do the same thing.
But I learned something new while working with both of these L.D styles. I learned to fuse those both styles together! So you have your regular SA2 type path, mostly a corridor or a bit wider corridor with some platforming challange, and then you get through it and you’re met with a large area with few pathways and a lot of room to run around in, but because it’s a hybrid of both styles the alt paths only lead to goodies like shields or speed shoes. And that’s the cool part in as I like to call it hybrid style, both styles are always present in one another. You can have a stream lined platforming section with some dna from SA1 and vice versa, you have a large explorable section with few ways to go about it, but they all ultimatily lead to the same path, but just faster and with more goddies!
(I hope I explained it enough. -.-)

And If I had to choose between Neo palmtree zone and Neo emerald coast. (for lack of a better example, please it’s not an ad I just don’t know any other stages that fit this specific criteria. :sadthumbsup:) I would choose N.E.C (And it’s not because of bias for my but) because I really don’t like having 3 alt paths that all lead to other places and only crossover at the end of the stage, I rather just play the stage once and have everything mapped out and ready to go the next time I play! But that doesn’t mean that I don’t like any open stages at all. I just fell in love with SA2 level design. That’s all there’s to it.:worry: And that’s why I can’t wait for the time this map-pack releases! I just hope it won’t be like 100mb in size. :oh:

Maybe you could edit the first post in this thread so people won’t have to search for the redone introduction when more posts will stack up on top of it. And you also can put the old version in a spoiler for preservation’s sake if you want.

And too bad that I already released TWO SA1/SA2 styled stages! >:C Maybe there still might be a chance for me to join, but I don’t know if my creativity will give me permission to do so. (I milked myself out of ideas for stages. :<) But from my experience with this style of level design, I think I’m able to share some stuff that if used wisely can make a pretty cool stage dynamic.

So the level design between SA1 and SA2 is way different. SA1 is more of a 3D translation of classic games. With the higher and lower paths, way more open areas and more incentive for exploration. But SA2 on the other hand is more focused. You have a single focused paths that only have small opportunities to go faster instead of you being able to access brand new paths to do the same thing.
But I learned something new while working with both of these L.D styles. I learned to fuse those both styles together! So you have your regular SA2 type path, mostly a corridor or a bit wider corridor with some platforming challange, and then you get through it and you’re met with a large area with few pathways and a lot of room to run around in, but because it’s a hybrid of both styles the alt paths only lead to goodies like shields or speed shoes. And that’s the cool part in as I like to call it hybrid style, both styles are always present in one another. You can have a stream lined platforming section with some dna from SA1 and vice versa, you have a large explorable section with few ways to go about it, but they all ultimatily lead to the same path, but just faster and with more goddies!
(I hope I explained it enough. -.-)

And If I had to choose between Neo palmtree zone and Neo emerald coast. (for lack of a better example, please it’s not an ad I just don’t know any other stages that fit this specific criteria. :sadthumbsup:) I would choose N.E.C (And it’s not because of bias for my but) because I really don’t like having 3 alt paths that all lead to other places and only crossover at the end of the stage, I rather just play the stage once and have everything mapped out and ready to go the next time I play! But that doesn’t mean that I don’t like any open stages at all. I just fell in love with SA2 level design. That’s all there’s to it.:worry: And that’s why I can’t wait for the time this map-pack releases! I just hope it won’t be like 100mb in size. :oh:
Ill have to write this in the Q&A later, But fell free to do a similar thing to what you did with Neo Emerald Coast. I believe a hybrid will work just as well!
Thanks for bringing this up actually.

On the first note. I completely forgot about editing the first post haha.

Yeah I don't want the file size to be 100MB or over, ether LOL

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back