Adventure Sonic (v1.8b)

Adventure Sonic (v1.8b) v1.8b

The sa hud does not work for me with adventure sonic, well not completely, the problem is that when I finish the level only the results do not appear, is this something that can be fixed?

I cannot get a model to work on him anymore
(first srb2 screenshot is from the other day second is from yesterday)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-03 205618.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 205618.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot 2023-10-03 205909.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 205909.png
    2 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot 2023-10-03 205939.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-03 205939.png
    324.1 KB · Views: 146
  • srb20007.png
    srb20007.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 146
  • srb20010.png
    srb20010.png
    405.3 KB · Views: 158
The sa hud does not work for me with adventure sonic, well not completely, the problem is that when I finish the level only the results do not appear, is this something that can be fixed?
That mod is an external mod made by TehRealSalt rather than us. (well, except the SA-Emblems and SA-explosion mods by me). You should try asking them about it. Show them there's still on-going interest and they might want to update it!
this sonic is the goat of all time, but may i ask about what the accessibility options in the samenu actually does?
srb20183.png

-Spin smoothing affects how strongly Sonic turns when rolling.

-Spin Aimline is the white line that appears when charging your spindash to help you aim. It's not a thing in Sonic Adventure, but SRB2 displays only 8 angles with sprites, which isn't indicative of his full 360 degree launching potential.

-The other two remove effects like flashes and screen quakes, which may be harmful or irritating to a small amount of people.

I cannot get a model to work on him anymore
(first srb2 screenshot is from the other day second is from yesterday)
Probably better to ask in the model's release thread? But maybe some saint here can tell you why it doesn't work. I rarely use the models, being a hard dedicated simp for Metalwario64's sprites and all.

Anyway, I notice of alot of servers are still running the CL_AdventureSonic-v1.6b-NoMusicHooks version! As a reminder, 2.2.12 already fixed Lua's music hook crashes, so there's no reason to use that version anymore!
Also noticed some people still running v1.5 and...uhh...why?
954816528509972540.webp

Hey @GoldenShine! Really minor nitpick that doesn't affect SP, but generally is a positive change cosmetically.

It's a bit annoying that additive blendmode is automatically disabled for any color other than 3 of the SP colors (the ones pre-v1.6), and this is considering you don't disable the automatic selection feature. It would be nice to either have an option to manually enable/disable the blending while automatic selection is on, or just always have blending on no matter the option selected.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but why is the Super Bounce limited to having Speed Shoes? I found there are few opportunities where you "need" the Super Bounce (for a skip or whatever) and have access to Speed Shoes, and when you do have the Speed Shoes, there are usually not that many opportunities to use the Super Bounce, since you would rather make use of the Speed to go fast.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but why is the Super Bounce limited to having Speed Shoes? I found there are few opportunities where you "need" the Super Bounce (for a skip or whatever) and have access to Speed Shoes, and when you do have the Speed Shoes, there are usually not that many opportunities to use the Super Bounce, since you would rather make use of the Speed to go fast.
The super bounce was considered too op for normal sonic, so it's locked behind Super Sonic/Speed Shoes to make using those more incentivized. Those "few opportunities" is when you're trying to take a different path from Sonic's, just grab 50 rings and go super or just go to a different path.

The super bounce was considered too op for normal sonic, so it's locked behind Super Sonic/Speed Shoes to make using those more incentivized. Those "few opportunities" is when you're trying to take a different path from Sonic's, just grab 50 rings and go super or just go to a different path.
I guess, but saying I should just take Super kinda moves the goal post.

My point really boils down to the fact that in most situations, the Super Bounce just isn't a tool to even consider, when it's reliance to stand still, and be close to a wall already restricts it a lot.

has anyone found a solution to a bug with the level end pose bugging out for jeck jims 3d models im tired of seeing a sonic head at the waist it makes me feel weird

Hey, @Golden Shine or @Metalwario64, do you guys think support for SA1 styled HUD v3 will be added? It adds a custom results screen inspired by SA1, as well as some other things. Since Adventure Sonic has a custom results screen, the two kinda aren't compatible.
Yes, I will definitely keep it in mind. Any mod that makes the game feel more Adventure-y should probably get support from Adventure Sonic of all things.
WHAAAAT!!!!??? HYPER ADVENTURE SONIC !!!? (im using crossmomemtum addon)
Post automatically merged:
838307263855984680.webp
Ahhh, reactions like that are why we bother making hidden surprises in the first place.

I guess, but saying I should just take Super kinda moves the goal post.

My point really boils down to the fact that in most situations, the Super Bounce just isn't a tool to even consider, when it's reliance to stand still, and be close to a wall already restricts it a lot.
You sure? Speedrunners deliberately go out of their way to grab sneakers just to superbounce, even though sneakers barely make a difference when it comes to SA-Sonic's maximum spindash speed. Well, here, I made you a hacky quick little mod to enable infinite Super Bounce whenever. It's a bit rushed and hacky, but it should do fine!

Attachments

• L_AdventureSonic-InfiniteSuperBounce.wad
    617 bytes · Views: 95
Well, here, I made you a hacky quick little mod to enable infinite Super Bounce whenever. It's a bit rushed and hacky, but it should do fine!
I genuinely appreciate the effort, but I can't just submit a completely different version of the Mod when I speedrun with SA-Sonic, and besides...
You sure? Speedrunners deliberately go out of their way to grab sneakers just to superbounce, even though sneakers barely make a difference when it comes to SA-Sonic's maximum spindash speed.
This is just not true. I actually went through the current WR in case I had missed something since my break from Speedrunning this, and they use the Super Bounce whopping 3 times!
  • 3:02 In Techno Hill 2, they accidentally perform a Super Bounce. Doesn't get them anywhere though, cause they needed to go down.
  • 4:12 In Deep Sea 1, they actually use it to skip some minor Platforming. saves like a second or 2 compared to the normal way to do it.
  • 20:03 In Black Core 1, they... Don't even succeed at what they were trying to do, so they just jump and grab the ledge instead. Very minor time save, if any, only worth it because the Speed Shoes are on the way
3 times, 2 of which are very arguable if they should even count. In comparison, they used Speed Shoes 6 times in total (not counting repeated uses because of deaths)
They didn't use them at all in the stages from Deep Sea 2 to Black Core 1, though they did use them a lot in Techno Hill.

So yeah, I don't know why they pick up the Speed Shoes, but the Super Bounce it is not.

Edit: This came off a lot more rude than I intended it to be.
I'm really not trying to be ungrateful, because I really love this Mod, it was what got me to play through SRB2 in the first place. It's just that the Super Bounce is such a cool piece of Tech from one of my Favorite games of all time, and it's a big let down to see it go unused like that.

Last edited:
I genuinely appreciate the effort, but I can't just submit a completely different version of the Mod when I speedrun with SA-Sonic, and besides...

This is just not true. I actually went through the current WR in case I had missed something since my break from Speedrunning this, and they use the Super Bounce whopping 3 times!
  • 3:02 In Techno Hill 2, they accidentally perform a Super Bounce. Doesn't get them anywhere though, cause they needed to go down.
  • 4:12 In Deep Sea 1, they actually use it to skip some minor Platforming. saves like a second or 2 compared to the normal way to do it.
  • 20:03 In Black Core 1, they... Don't even succeed at what they were trying to do, so they just jump and grab the ledge instead. Very minor time save, if any, only worth it because the Speed Shoes are on the way
3 times, 2 of which are very arguable if they should even count. In comparison, they used Speed Shoes 6 times in total (not counting repeated uses because of deaths)
They didn't use them at all in the stages from Deep Sea 2 to Black Core 1, though they did use them a lot in Techno Hill.

So yeah, I don't know why they pick up the Speed Shoes, but the Super Bounce it is not.

Edit: This came off a lot more rude than I intended it to be.
I'm really not trying to be ungrateful, because I really love this Mod, it was what got me to play through SRB2 in the first place. It's just that the Super Bounce is such a cool piece of Tech from one of my Favorite games of all time, and it's a big let down to see it go unused like that.
That's a whole-game marathon run. They can't afford risky strats, nor do they have as much competition in such a category. The superbounce is seen super-often in single-level runs, despite the current speedshoes limitation. It's fairly common knowledge Adventure Sonic's fastest GFZ2 route uses alot of superbounces. Even in TAS speedruns of the game you'll see it used everywhere, and that's a "theoretical best performance" kind of deal.

Don't mean to write you off, though! I absolutely don't MIND people using any method to play SA-Sonic with infinite bounces. By all means, use that mod I gave you earlier online or in personal speedruns. But on my end, the runshoes/Super Sonic limitation on Superbounces was a calculated choice.

I can give you my reasoning, I just hope it doesn't come over as hostility due to being a wall of text essay!
-The Super Bounce is an SA2 glitch/exploit. It's fun to bring back as a reference for hardcore players, but if I made it a "main" feature, it'd feel like a tech you HAD to learn to become a good SA-Sonic player. Superbouncing requires alot of mechanical skill and deliberate practice to pull off consistently. Yet SA-Sonic's accessibility is one of his main appeals. imo, Sonic Adventure has the strongest casual appeal out of all Sonic games, even over the classics. Buuuut...being a hardcore Adventure nerd myself, I HAD to reference it anyway, so I went for this compromise.

-I didn't want people getting dependent on the technique, then go online and have lag screw over their entire playstyle. Tight timing based techniques are bad for SRB2's online control-lag environment.

-I didn't want players racing and getting destroyed by people taking massive Super Bounce shortcuts. Which would also give the host yet another advantage from not having any lag. Skilled players are more likely to win, but the more they win by a landslide, the more discouraging it gets to bother playing competitively.

-I considered it extra OP in an SRB2 context. SRB2's levels in their old DOOM formatting have far more straight walls than the Adventure games. They're usually not as linear too. This gives thousands of extra viable places for the Super Bounce. Think about how in SA2's Speed Stages, there's only a couple of places where the Superbounce matters, but if you dropped Sonic in Knuckles' stages, it suddenly becomes your main navigation tool. Level design matters alot.

-SRB2's vanilla cast is ridiculously slow, bad at jumping, and controls stiffly. While SA-Sonic does need to actually interact with the levels unlike Tails, or say... Metal & Knux in Arid Canyon, he still breaks the balancing by being accurate to Sonic Adventure. I'm OK with him having a slight edge overall, but wouldn't want to make him needlessly broken.

-With each ability, you must consider how it affects a character's moveset. The most iconic satisfying maneuver to pull off in Sonic Adventure are huge sloped spindash leaps. It gets you hunting for slopes and looking at stages from a new perspective, which is awesome! The Superbounce, however, accomplishes the same thing on ANY wall. No convenient slope? Simply default to Superbounces. With the runshoes limitation it's no longer a solution to be applied everywhere, but hardcore players will STILL have incentive to scan the level for shoes and the best walls to superbounce on.(Shoes also buff your spindash and ground-speed, making the superbounce comparatively less powerful at that moment too.) This way, both techs get you thinking about the level, and the superbounce cannot act as a replacement for Sonic Adventure's most iconic technique.

-The Super Bounce is repetitive. It requires mechanical skill, but the input and outcome hardly differ. Go to a wall, time input, bam, Sonic's in the sky. With slopejumping you'll need a slope first, and it's angle+steepness gives differerent results each time. The level itself uniquely created your ability to slopejump. Superbounces are usable practically everywhere, with the same result and input everywhere. I wouldn't want such a repetitive tech to be the solution to all of SA-Sonic's problems.

-Lastly...the Superbounce is a glitch. SA-Sonic is meant to represent a polished ideal of version Sonic Adventure. I didn't want Adventure's early-3D-game jank to be the defining factor of his gameplay. It's also why he's got special GFX+SFX to show unware players; "YES, this is happening intentionally, Sonic isn't randomly bugging out!"

If you still don't think the Super Bounce is an overtuned game-breaking tactic, I suggest looking up single level speedruns or even TAS runs. Even if you don't believe most players could master it to that extend, I wouldn't encourage anyone to feel like it's necessary to learn, and I'm glad SA-Sonic's WR-marathoner didn't feel pressured to use it at every opportunity.
Hope you understand! (Doesn't mean you have to like it) I encourage anyone to use mods to play as their ideal version of SA-Sonic!

If you wanted SA2's Instant Spammable Lightdash, use this mod!

Or get my little hack for Super Bounces anytime to be more like SA2 in that regard.

Or get "What I'm Made Of" if you thought that'd be cool for Adventure Sonic's super theme.

Or if it bothers you SA-Sonic doesn't tilt when running like in SA2, throw this mod onto him!

I appreciate that you took the time to actually have this discussion with me. I might not 100% agree with it, but I see your reasoning.
Either way, at the end of the day, it's your decision, and I'll still enjoy SA-Sonic regardless! Thank you for hearing me out!

Hello! I'm an admin at Soashi's Modded Planet, and we require some assistance regarding Adventure Sonic in particular.

For whatever reason, Adventure's Milne compatibility causes the kick state's sprites to break. I recall we asked Milne's creator about it, and she couldn't figure out why, which brings me to my point:
May we please modify Adventure to remove the compatibility so we can have both Milne and Adventure in our server?

Last edited:
It's really not overpowered at all SRB2 as it isn't a vertical game at all. There's nothing skill based about putting such a move on a limited timer when it's already not exactly the easiest technique to perform. However since goldenshine added another version it doesn't really bother me at all. Hopefully he continues to update that verison.
Post automatically merged:

@Golden Shine Did you know that another developer is implementing your version of the super bounce into his work? I'm not sure if you've heard of Sonic Onset Adventure but they're also making the super bounce locked to speed shoes. I believe they stated that got the idea from this mod

Hello! I'm an admin at Soashi's Modded Planet, and we require some assistance regarding Adventure Sonic in particular.

For whatever reason, Adventure's Milne compatibility causes the kick state's sprites to break. I recall we asked Milne's creator about it, and she couldn't figure out why, which brings me to my point:
May we please modify Adventure to remove the compatibility so we can have both Milne and Adventure in our server?
Sure! I'll look into this for a 1.7 update where this hopefully gets patched too!

@Golden Shine Did you know that another developer is implementing your version of the super bounce into his work? I'm not sure if you've heard of Sonic Onset Adventure but they're also making the super bounce locked to speed shoes. I believe they stated that got the idea from this mod
I didn't. I guess they felt similarly conflicted with the skill, but also still wanted to include the tech as a cool nod. They can have my blessings, it's not like my ideas are patented or anything!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Back