SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Kart Releases & Mods > Miscellaneous

Daytona Kart (Version 1.1.1) Details »»
Daytona Kart (Version 1.1.1)
Version: V1.1.1, by Latius (Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter) Latius is offline
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Category: Version: SRB2 Kart Rating: (2 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 05-31-2019 Last Update: Never Installs: 1
SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

Quote:
In the event I do not log in for a month and cannot be contacted, I give blanket permission for Kart Krew and their appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my SRB2Kart releases on the SRB2MB, except where stated otherwise. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return. You may not edit my work to create other content (such as Original Characters or Remix Stages) unless specified.

This permission does not include this addon.
DAYTONA!

Welcome to Daytona Kart, a heavily modified form of my Countdown Mode which aims to replicate the feel of arcade game like Daytona USA and Initial D Arcade Stage.

How does Daytona Kart work?

Daytona Kart adds a time limit to the start of the stage, shown at the top of the screen. This shows how much time you have left before you lose control of your car and get a Time Over - if you don't get lucky and cross the finish line before you fully stop, as you gain more time for completing laps.

For the base 55 maps which came with Kart 1.0, the time limits are based on the silver medal times for Time Attack, with the Time Extensions being based on the fastest laps for that track. Other maps, like the Map Hell ones and the new community cup, have their times based on some testing.

For custom maps, there is a default 120 seconds with an extra 30 seconds added for each lap completed, but custom map makers (and/or those making map packs for servers) can include two lua variables to add in to determine these - lua.arcadetime for the base time, and lua.arcadebonus for the time bonus gained for each lap.

However, these base time limits and bonuses can be further modified, as Daytona Kart has 5 difficulty modes:
  • Easiest: Gain a bonus 30% of the base time and time extensions. Great for getting to learn a track!
  • Easy: Only a 15% bonus, but it's good if you're struggling to complete a lap on Normal.
  • Normal: The default Daytona Kart Experience.
  • Hard: Time limits are tighter, with 5 seconds taken off your starting time, and 2 seconds taken off the time you get for completing a lap.
  • Expert: The hardest challenge of Daytona Kart. 10 seconds off of your starting time, and 5 seconds less from Time Extensions. Only for those who are experts at the game.

Heads Up Display:

Custom Variables which the player can alter:
  • arcade_speed: Determines what speedometer type to use. Default Miles. Can be Disabled, Miles, Kilometers, Meters, Fracunits, Knots or Feet.
  • arcade_tenthspeed: Shows or hides the tenths of the speed. Default On.
  • arcade_capto99: Caps the shown time limit to 99. Default Off. (There is a secret setting to this)
  • arcade_placezero: Shows a leading zero in 10+ player races. Default Off.
  • arcade_instupdate: Determines if the timer instantly updates whenever time is added, both at the start of a race and after completing a lap, or if it ticks up at a rate of 5s/4frames at the start, and 1s/2frames once a lap is completed. Default On.
  • arcade_hud: New to Version 1.1, this allows you to determine which HUD mode you want to use. This defaults to the Daytona Hud as shown in the images in this thread, however, there are other settings which it can be set to, with more intended to come in later versions.

Server based Custom Variables:
  • arcade: Turns the Arcade Mode on and off. Default On. (Added in V1.0.2)
  • arcade_diff: Sets the timer difficulty to one of the five difficulties mentioned prior. Default Normal.
  • arcade_sneaker: When on, items will be limited to Sneakers, Thunder Shields, Hyudoros, Invincibility and maybe Kitchen Sinks. Default On.

Current HUD settings:
  • Daytona - The classic Daytona Kart look, with the rev counter and such. Added in Pre-Version 1
  • WarioLand - Based on Wario Land 4 in a sense, including the classic 'hurry up' timer. Added in Version 1.1
  • HatInTime - A slightly modified version of the Daytona HUD with the timer from A Hat In Time's Train Rush mode. Added in Version 1.1.1 - thanks to Fav from the Kart Krew Discord for their timer sprite used here!

Spoiler: List of Custom Maps which are Daytona Kart compatible and approved:

Download Now

File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.0.1.pk3 (895.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.0.2.pk3 (895.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.0.3.pk3 (895.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.1.pk3 (909.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: pk3 kl_daytonakart-v1.1.1.pk3 (911.3 KB, 383 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	daytonakarthud.png
Views:	3354
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	19664   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0118.png
Views:	210
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	19666   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0116.png
Views:	164
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	19667   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0115.png
Views:	162
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	19668   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0114.png
Views:	131
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	19669  

Name:	kart0112.png
Views:	122
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	19670   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0111.png
Views:	149
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	19671   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0110.png
Views:	194
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19672  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 05-31-2019   #2
Latius
Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter

Version History:

Pre-V1.0 - A private Beta was made, with the most recent one being the Beta 1.2.4 which was finished on the 23rd of January, 2019. This was practically complete, but hadn't been released before on the message board.

V1.0.0 - This version updated to take advantage of Kart V1.1's new values, such as the ability to get the numlaps variable and use that to do the lap counter.

V1.0.1 - Tested on a server on the 31st of May, 2019, this version added in the arcade_instupdate function, and when disabled, it allowed the time limit to increase over time. The screenshots and HUD overview comes from this test.

V1.0.2 - Released on the 3rd of June, this patch fixes issues with lua.arcadetime and lua.arcadebonus while also adding the ability to turn the Arcade Mode on and off. You still get the announcer at the start of a race or battle, though, even if it's turned off.

V1.0.3 - Released on the 5th of June, this small patch adjusts Kart's countdown timer to expire after 600 seconds - hopefully long enough for either everyone else to finish or run out of time, except in extreme cases.

V1.1 - Added in a new HUD style based on the Wario Land 4 game's timer. And possibly some minor fixes which I forgot about.

V1.1.1 - A slight preview in a way of another mod I'm making in the form of the Hat in Time HUD version now added in, but also the HUDs with the Daytona Speedometer now also serve a purpose during the countdown, as they show how much charge you have towards a start boost. Try to just about enter the red for the best possible start!

V1.2 - A planned future version which will include hopefully a custom results screen and possibly another version of the HUD which may be inspired by another game series. And maybe hopefully split screen support, as for now, Daytona Kart is not split screen compatible.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper

Last edited by Latius; 06-19-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: V1.1.1 update
Latius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019   #3
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

Welcome to releases!

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019   #4
Xelork
Xelork is Happy to see you.

Could have the original voice clips from Daytona USA e.e
But the rest of the mod is just awesome! The tension when the time is ending is the same from the arcade, nice one!
Old 06-02-2019   #5
Bluegen
Daytonaaaaaaaaaa!

Holy moly thats my three seven speedway!
Bluegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019   #6
Latius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegen View Post
Holy moly thats my three seven speedway!
Yep, it came up during the testing, and I thought it would work best for the HUD showcase.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 06-03-2019   #7
Latius

V1.0.2 update is now live!

Changes from V1.0.1:
  • Fixed some issues with the Lua variables so that they work properly now.
  • Added a toggle to turn Arcade Mode on and off
  • Because it felt strange to hear the 'Start your Engines!' at the start of a map, but not the countdown, I've added that to non-Arcade Mode races and also to Battle Mode.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 06-04-2019   #8
Bluegen
Daytonaaaaaaaaaa!

Ok, so the three seven speedway is ready to go.
Daytona fans
UNITE!!

Last edited by Bluegen; 06-04-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Bluegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019   #9
Latius

Two updates today - first, Three Seven Speedway is now Daytona Kart Approved. This means that it's all set up perfectly and will work well in your servers.

Second, a small patch to V1.0.3 now that I found out how to fiddle with the end of level countdown. I can't yet disable it, but what I can do is set it very high.

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 06-15-2019   #10
Latius

Still no custom results screen, but V1.1 is now out with a new HUD style:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kart0141.png
Views:	2436
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	20091  

SRB2Kart Track Mapper
Old 06-21-2019   #11
Bluegen
Daytonaaaaaaaaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelork View Post
Could have the original voice clips from Daytona USA e.e
But the rest of the mod is just awesome! The tension when the time is ending is the same from the arcade, nice one!
It has the voice clips from Daytona USA 2 though, so technically they are from the OG Daytona, maybe? i dont know