What do you use?

• Software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OpenGL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, a rather simple poll, but I'm just wondering what people prefer. I'm working in the background on some updates and I want to know which I should support first.

OpenGL is much better looking, but it has those small annoyances...

Software mode can't display slpes, and has huge-a-mongo floating walls of doom if a sector is too big.

I use software more often, because ogl sometimes runs slow. I only use ogl to take screenshots.

OpenGL. Always. Software is too ugly, too slow, and doesn't support models.

OpenGL.

It's an overall better renderer. Many issues with rendering levels that appear in Software are literally non-existant in OpenGL.

I also love the lighting effects. >.<

Yeah, I like OpenGL better, even if it does get a little slow. Especially the fact that it can render slopes; I've been trying to get even something to show up for a slope in software for the past week, and have had zero luck. Personally, I think we should try to completely upgrade to OGL (or at least make it default), but there are a lot of computers that don't support it, and I heard somewhere that OGL will NOT run on Windows Vista.

That's what I thought too.
But SSN says it will work. He says it will be drawn through DirectX, but OpenGL will still work.
But anyways, people who say that their computers don't support OpenGL should try and go through OpenGL's options and tone it down enough so that it works fairly well for them.

Honestly, with Shuffle's recent release of his edited HW_MD2.c (Or, whatever the filename is), that supports models not being hardcoded, it's time to bring SRB2 to that stage.

Dark Warrior said:
That's what I thought too.
But SSN says it will work. He says it will be drawn through DirectX, but OpenGL will still work.
But anyways, people who say that their computers don't support OpenGL should try and go through OpenGL's options and tone it down enough so that it works fairly well for them.

Honestly, with Shuffle's recent release of his edited HW_MD2.c (Or, whatever the filename is), that supports models not being hardcoded, it's time to bring SRB2 to that stage.
I would tone it down but I can't get into OpenGL mode to set up the options. If I just start up the game in OpenGL mode it crashes.
I've gotta vote software 'cause its the only thing my computer can handle.

OpenGL starts in 16-bit coloring, bilinear drawing for me.

I fail to see how any computer's graphics card can't handle that.
Unless you're using Windows 3.1 or something.

Dark Warrior said:

I'm using Windows XP home edition. It's still too powerfull for my computer. I just tried it a few seconds ago. Total crash.

then edit config.cfg, and change the opengl options

look for this stuff, and set them to these settings

scr_height "240"
scr_width "320"
scr_depth "16 bits"
fullscreen "No"
gr_coronas "Off"
gr_dynamiclighting "Off"
gr_staticlighting "Off"

Logan_GBA said:
then edit config.cfg, and change the opengl options

look for this stuff, and set them to these settings

scr_height "240"
scr_width "320"
scr_depth "16 bits"
fullscreen "No"
gr_coronas "Off"
gr_dynamiclighting "Off"
gr_staticlighting "Off"
Congradulations, used to my computer would just crash. Now it displays a screwed up screen, and then crashes. Look, I doubt OpenGL is even as superior as you all say. I'm not going to risk losing SRB2 alltogether just for some 3D display mode.

Dark Warrior said:

My ol' PII266 laptop could run it. Now admitably, it couldn't do the lighting effects, creating a bunch of colored dots covering the entire texture which was supposed to be lit up a little bit, but it worked.

Personally I use software when there is a camera and OpenGL when there's not. I prefer the look of software, but I cannot deny the benefits of being able to look straight up and down in match/ctf.

You should be focusing on the gameplay component of slopes first, antiporcupine. Worry about how you're going to draw them later.

And yes, you can get software to draw slopes by modifying the angle of the visplane.

Mystic said:
Dark Warrior said:

My ol' PII266 laptop could run it. Now admitably, it couldn't do the lighting effects, creating a bunch of colored dots covering the entire texture which was supposed to be lit up a little bit, but it worked.

Personally I use software when there is a camera and OpenGL when there's not. I prefer the look of software, but I cannot deny the benefits of being able to look straight up and down in match/ctf.
LOL I use one of those, but I doubt it can handle opengl without lagging terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back