SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Mecha Sonic Revamp [BETA] Details »»
Mecha Sonic Revamp [BETA]
Developer Last Online: Oct 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (9 votes - 3.56 average)
Released: 03-03-2020 Last Update: 07-18-2020 Favourites: 19
Characters SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Mecha Sonic is back... and is ready to take down Dr. Robotnik.

(This is a beta! Sprites are still the same unfortunately (check changelog regarding sprites), but I highly suggest that you still try the character, we did a LUA overhaul! Please do not be afraid to leave feedback!)

Go check out the new MD3 by Manuel! @ https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=48424

(Note: You MUST have Version 2.3+ of Mecha in order for it to work properly.)

Abilities:
Spoiler:
- Ability 1 - Mecha Sonic can super-jump! Jump as soon as you hit the ground to perform one. The faster you hit the ground, the higher you go!

- Ability 2 - Free Roll: Roll around and gain momentum, like a wheel!

- Ability 3 - Mecha Sonic can jumpthok, which turns into a slow-fall!

- Passive Ability 1 - Mecha Sonic is a heavy death-machine. Landing on breakable floors will crush them.

- Passive Ability 2 - Since Mecha Sonic is crafted out of strong metal, spikes do not harm him.

I'll Crush You!
Spoiler:
- Super Form Abilities!
Ability 1 - Press spin in mid-air to plummet downwards, bounce, and perform an Armageddon blast!

Ability 2 - Hover becomes infinite flight!

More abilities coming soon...

Changelog:
Spoiler:

V2.4.1 Beta
- Removed the requirement to not push any movement keys to perform the superjump.
- Superjump height is now dependent on your falling speed prior.
- Minor bugfixes...

V2.4 Beta
- New CSS! Along with placeholder icons (subject to change)
- Entire moveset revamped once more, hopefully this one feels better! (Will update the moveset section momentarily)
- Removed skid on running sound.

V2.3 Beta (MD3 Support!)
- Introducing a new MD3 by Manuel! You MUST have version 2.3+ of Mecha in order for it to work properly. You can get it here: https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=48424
- Landing frames have been added to show how heavy Mecha is.
- Overall balancing.
- Drop Dash removed.

V2.2 Beta:
- Hover time increased and ability reworked.
- Drop dash added.
- Mecha can now bounce twice!
- Bounce height cap removed (this was my idea)
- Introducing Blurzapper! Our newest spriter! With the addition of Blur to our team, we've made great progress! The preview is shown above. (Courtesy of Blurzapper and fluffy)

V2.11 Beta:
- You can now bounce up to two times per jump.
- Increased height cap on the bounce.
- Increased normalspeed to 36 from 30.
- mindash increased from 1 to 10.
- Spin control speed cap increased from 45 to 48.

V2.1, The Bounce Beta!:
- Mecha Sonic can now bounce! Press spin mid-air to plummet downwards and shake the earth beneath you!
- Super mode Armageddon pow now activates upon bouncing.
- On another note.... Feel free to DM me @CANINE#3432 if you are interested in helping with the sprites. We have a direction set, but the process is difficult and long with just a small amount of us working on them, so we'll take any help we can get!

V2.02 Beta:
- Fixed infinite inescapable hovering bug.
- Added Infinite flight mode for super mode!

v2.01 Beta:
- Quick Evade has been removed.
- Hover-dash has been updated:
+ Quick Evade has been incorporated for the first few frames of Hover-dash.
+ Hover-dash now ends when Mecha uncurls.
- Fixed a weird speed bug from when you do the Hover-dash at high speeds.
- I'll crush you!
+ Introducing super mode abilities! We only have one right now, but more are coming!
+ While in super mode, press spin in mid-air to perform an Armageddon blast.
- Adjusted speed values to suit Mecha's overall feel.
- Pressing forward while charging spindash will make you begin rolling without needing to release the spin key.

v2.0 BETA!:
- Mecha Sonic's abilities have been entirely overhauled! The abilities added are:
+ Hover-dash
+ Wheel-like rolling mechanism
+ Evade
+ Peelout-like spindash
all old abilities have been removed.
- Lua has been re-done and bugs have been smooshed.
- Drastically dropped the filesize.
- New sprites are in progress. If you are interested in helping, DM me @ CANINE#3432

v1.2:
- Fixed more broken offsets (once and for all!)
- Dash Trails are now exclusive to super mode.
- Energy Ball is now exclusive to super mode.
- Acceleration lowered to fit Mecha's heavy body. Use the peelout ability to gain a running start.
- Float replaced with a homing-thok. (I wanted to set him apart from Metal Sonic in more ways than one.)

v1.1:
- Fixed broken offsets
- Fixed super music loop.
- Changed Mecha's size (Mecha was too big for Egg Rock Zone Act 1 treadmills)
- Removed Dash Trails and Energy Bomb in Match mode
- Added Metal Sonic Battle Mode abilities (kept old energy ball ability exclusively for platformer mode, and excluded battle mode ability in platformer mode)
- Made shields actually FIT Mecha
- Removed followitem, didn't look right. (Revised Sprites to fit no followitem in progress!)
- Still some bugs, but major bugs have been ironed out.

Credit:
Spoiler:
Credit to:
DrStephen's Eggpack character for the Knuxwall breaking code. (MotdSpork wrote that part for eggpack originally)
OtherChen's mario.pk3 for functionality code.
TheKingOfPeinguins#9616 for the spritework!
Pathonaut#7555 for the amazing Lua overhaul!
[fluffy++]#6878 and Blurzapper#4041 for the spritework overhaul!
AxeCrusader#4467 for the phenomenal CSS!!!

Download Now

File Type: pk3 CL_MechaSonic-2.4.1.pk3 (1.31 MB, 229 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	MechaSonic_MB.jpg
Views:	2223
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	40380   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20172.gif
Views:	135
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	40621   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20175.gif
Views:	92
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	40622   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20174.gif
Views:	70
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	40623   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20176.gif
Views:	75
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	40624  

Name:	srb20169.gif
Views:	67
Size:	5.95 MB
ID:	40625  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 1 Week Ago   #102
Mr.Siphon

His new character selection image looks SO cool
Mr.Siphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #103
Boost

Quote:
the superjump. not that it's a bad move, i love it, but the timing to pull it off is super strict and, it might just be my imagination but, i could only manage to pull it off while i wasn't holding any directional or strafe keys
It's true, you can only do the super jump when you don't hold directional keys, but the timing isn't too strict actually (once you learn how to do it, it's fairly easy to do). For me the questionable part was that at every super jump Mecha also dashes in whatever direction he is looking at, but I guess it just takes time to get used to.

It might need some polishing though...
If you land on the ground with super jump available (timing, no directional inputs) but you happen to just drop off the ledge before you pressed jump button, you'll dash forward.
Also super jump can be performed after finishing the level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SuperDash.gif
Views:	51
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	40381   Click image for larger version

Name:	SuperEndJump.gif
Views:	44
Size:	4.58 MB
ID:	40382  
Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #104
Icy Dragon

The super jump definitely needs a visual and audio indicator (for example: Mecha visibly crouches down and if you successfully jump at the right time, a distinct sound plays) and I feel you should be able to do it even if you are pressing the movement keys. Also I miss the armageddon blast :(

Last edited by Icy Dragon; 1 Week Ago at 12:47 AM.
Icy Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #105
Peppermint
AAAH, SPOOKY STUFF!!

]Man this is fricking awsome! Pretty neat!

I'd love to see the final version of this!

Old 5 Days Ago   #106
GrayAngel

I'm pressing Spin mid-air, but he won't bounce. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm using version 2.4, and my game is patched to 2.2.8.
GrayAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #107
Boost

That's simple: the bounce doesn't exist in Mecha's 2.4 version. Original poster forgot to edit Mecha's moveset information in this thread.
Old 5 Days Ago   #108
GrayAngel

Ah. That explains it, then.
Old 5 Days Ago   #109
DededeCultist

I think this version is almost a downgrade. Not only is the superjump basically just a garbage bounce that doesn't even carry momentum on slopes, but its also kind of tricky to pull off and doesn't even work when moving, meaning you have to come to a complete stop to even use it. At least that godawful running sound was removed.
Old 5 Days Ago   #110
GrayAngel

Yeah, I dunno. He feels a bit weaker than before. His old dash felt more like the one he had in S&K. He doesn't really need a bounce, though. I don't think he did that in the game.

Love the music that plays when he goes Super, though. Dunno if that was in a previous version. Never played long enough to get Super. I got around it this time with BotSkin.
Old 5 Days Ago   #111
DededeCultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayAngel View Post
Yeah, I dunno. He feels a bit weaker than before. His old dash felt more like the one he had in S&K. He doesn't really need a bounce, though. I don't think he did that in the game.

Love the music that plays when he goes Super, though. Dunno if that was in a previous version. Never played long enough to get Super. I got around it this time with BotSkin.
Mecha Sonic does have a bounce attack, as well as a pseudo dropdash move in his boss fight. In fact, his basic form boss fight seems to be almost entirely copy and pasted from the Death Egg Robo Sonic.

Also, as a suggestion, It would be interesting to incorporate that fake ring circle move he did when he turns super into this mod.
Old 5 Days Ago   #112
GrayAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DededeCultist View Post
Mecha Sonic does have a bounce attack, as well as a pseudo dropdash move in his boss fight. In fact, his basic form boss fight seems to be almost entirely copy and pasted from the Death Egg Robo Sonic.
It is kind of a bounce, but it's functionally similar to jumping in the middle of a spin dash, then holding spin as you land. Though the latter isn't as high.

Yeah, I noticed the similarities between the two bosses. It's almost like Mecha Sonic was the finished product. They even share the same official name, apparently, although I always called the original "Silver Sonic." The Mecha Sonic of S&K wasn't nearly as hard, though. He was kind of a downgrade, honestly. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DededeCultist View Post
Also, as a suggestion, It would be interesting to incorporate that fake ring circle move he did when he turns super into this mod.
I was thinking the same, but I'm not sure how that would work in 3D.
Old 5 Days Ago   #113
Pathonaut
big chungus amongus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost View Post
It's true, you can only do the super jump when you don't hold directional keys, but the timing isn't too strict actually (once you learn how to do it, it's fairly easy to do). For me the questionable part was that at every super jump Mecha also dashes in whatever direction he is looking at, but I guess it just takes time to get used to.

It might need some polishing though...
If you land on the ground with super jump available (timing, no directional inputs) but you happen to just drop off the ledge before you pressed jump button, you'll dash forward.
Also super jump can be performed after finishing the level.
Basically the superjump takes your speed prior to landing and uses that as a basis for the horizontal thrust it enacts when performed. Only I thought it was somehow a good idea to tie it to the direction mecha is facing... I'll fix that shortly

Also if you're using manuel's mecha sonic model he does indeed crouch after landing, its just not visible in the sprites because Mecha currently doesn't have landing sprites so there's no visible change

I'll probably end up reworking the superjump to not require releasing the movement keys and forgo the whole momentum conservation thing
Old 4 Days Ago   #114
Icy Dragon

I've noticed that the supermusic doesn't use the full song before it loops, is this intentional?
Old 4 Days Ago   #115
Scoobert
Mr. Rule 17

Canine... why... why do you keep doing this? Why did you gut his moveset again? It was perfect 2 versions ago, why did you remove everything and leave behind a sad little jumpthok? There are already like, 3 characters who have a jumpthok! You found your niche with the boost hover!
Old 4 Days Ago   #116
Michael Blur

To be honest, I don't really like the new version of the Mecha Sonic moveset. I was very upset that the cool and powerful bounce was replaced by weakly enhanced jumps that are even inconvenient to use. The fact Mecha Sonic can now hover with the help of a thok is cool, and he is better controlled in a spin state is also cool. But this very strong nerf bounce spoils everything.

I can understand that this can be done for balance, but damn, you are playing as a huge cool robot, and I would like it to be played accordingly.

I hope you read this comment, and yes, I still love this character and it's quite fun to play, but I wanted you to bring back some of the old mechanics from the old version.
Discord - Mikhael Blur#7666
Michael Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #117
Snowy
PersistantRubine

mh. I haven't played it enough- but I can tell you gutting the entire moveset over and over, removing the option for people to enjoy the old versions and seemingly not paying attention to what people are saying is... I know you can do what you want. But what you have now is... 'eh' at best. Even version one was more unique and interesting.

When you gut an entire moveset you should ask for feedback and show it off first to see if that's what people actually want. Because if you just gut the entire skillset over and over nobody's going to be happy. AltSonic handled this far better because it's moveset was refined so heavily as to make him play incredibly uniquely compared to what he originally was, which had abilities that did not work well together.

If people are doing nothing but mentioning how awkward or not fun a character is after you change their entire playstyle, and not one person has really come forward and said it's an improvement by comparison- You may have done something wrong.

I don't even need to mess with the super-jump long to tell you that making it not work unless you aren't holding the movement keys is a terrible and awkward gameplay mechanic that does not flow well with Sonic games. It's counter-intuitive and is especially painful to any player's muscle-memory.

I would suggest that you don't just gut the skills out of nowhere anymore, and actually ask if this is something people would be willing to try and experiment with- rather than just going "Hey guys, incredible, new update, entire skill rework for the third time!". This just seems, in my opinion... like a not good character anymore as a result of this repeated gutting and dumbing down of the moveset.
Old 3 Days Ago   #118
Jaco Boy

Honestly, I agree with Snowy. If your gonna gut/change the moveset every few versions, you should at least listen to feedback and suggestions. Personally, I think the new moveset is eh at best. It doesn't really resemble mecha sonics abilities besides his spin attack. I think it would be better if it went back to being similar to how mecha was in s3&k, maybe tweaked a little to fit srb2. But I digress. Please consider peoples thoughts regarding the mod.
Old 3 Days Ago   #119
Boost

Quote:
Basically the superjump takes your speed prior to landing and uses that as a basis for the horizontal thrust it enacts when performed.
The reason that feature threw me off is because it pretty much ruins all the precise platforming (A slight thrust in any direction messes it up). Either that or Super Jump becomes an entirely useless feature that exists because it's fancy. So, yeah, please remove momentum thing.

Last edited by Boost; 3 Days Ago at 06:32 PM.
Old 3 Days Ago   #120
Pathonaut
big chungus amongus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost View Post
The reason that feature threw me off is because it pretty much ruins all the precise platforming (A slight thrust in any direction messes it up). Either that or Super Jump becomes an entirely useless feature that exists because it's fancy. So, yeah, please remove momentum thing.
I've redone the superjump so now it can be performed while moving (the window to perform it is a bit longer if you're not moving). The height you gain is now dependent on how fast you were falling. This new fix should be out soon

The reason I removed the proper stomp is because I felt it conflicted with his rolling. (IE I'm speeding along in ball form then jump. I want to not have to hold down spin the entire time in order to avoid bouncing)

The float-thok got replaced with a jump thok -> slowfall to grant mecha a double jump while rolling (something which I felt was sorely needed during my playtesting). It still inherits your old speed.

Last edited by Pathonaut; 3 Days Ago at 09:29 PM.
Pathonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #121
CANINE

Updated to version 2.4.1. Read changelog for more details.
CANINE is offline   Reply With Quote