SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Yoshi [V1.2.5] Details »»
Yoshi [V1.2.5]
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (5 votes - 4.20 average)
Released: 03-04-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 5
Characters SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas, hailing from the Super Mario series, brings his unique gobble and throw gameplay style from Yoshi's Island into Sonic Robo Blast 2!

ABILITIES

FLUTTER JUMP
Press and hold the jump button when in the air to do a flutter jump. Yoshi will slowly rise into the air, giving you extra height. You can even perform this move multiple times, but be warned, you'll eventually start losing altitude!

GROUND POUND
Press jump and custom 1 at the same time while in the air to plummet yourself straight downwards, destroying any enemies, floors, or spikes in your path. It can also be used to gain extra height from springs!

TONGUE
Press spin to stick out Yoshi's tongue. It'll grab whatever enemy it touches, pulling it into his mouth. From there you can press Spin to spit the enemy back out again as a projectile. You can gobble up your friends too!

EGG THROW
If you press custom 1 while an enemy is in your mouth instead of spin, you'll turn it into an egg! You can have up to 8 of these eggs in your possession. Once you have at least one, press custom 1 to aim at any nearby enemy or monitor, and again to throw! If you want to stop aiming, press spin.

BOOTS OF STEEL

Just like in Super Mario World, Yoshi can jump onto just about any hazard and not get hurt! Be careful though, just because his feet are protected doesn't mean the rest of him is!

SUPER FORM: WINGED YOSHI
As a part of his Super transformation Yoshi will sprout wings on his back. Press and hold jump to take to the skies! There's no limitation to this ability aside from the regular ring timer, so you can fly to your heart's content!

Spoiler: Side Notes
Yoshi's sprites in this mod are primary based off of sprites found in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. A few sprites are custom edits made by me in order to fill in some of the blanks that the source material leaves behind.

For those of you who feel Yoshi's ability to lick up other players is a bit too disruptive, as it can be in Competitive gametypes, you can use the command yoshigrief to toggle it on and off.

If you went into the player setup menu, you may have noticed there's a duplicate of Yoshi with puffed-up cheeks named "Tax Fraud." This is the skin used for when you have an enemy in your mouth when playing as Yoshi normally. There's no problem with selecting this skin instead of the regular Yoshi skin, so you can if you really want to.

Spoiler: Changlog
V1.2.5
Well, that didn't last long. Anyways, now you can properly block Yoshi's eggs in Battle Mode again.

...what, were you expecting something more?

V1.2.4
Here we go again. Hopefully this will be the actual final update for a long time. Also doing the change log in a different format because why not.

- Ground Pound Hitbox lasts longer
- Ground Pound ends faster if you manage to touch the ground before the startup ends, such as with a vertically moving plaform
- Ground Pound can now be started during Flutter Jump cool-down periods
- You can no longer target teammates in Battle Mode
- You can no longer target monitors in non-platforming gametypes
- You can now throw eggs slightly sooner after getting hit by another player
- Enemies that would exhibit weird behaviors when gobbled up, such as Pyre Flies and Spinboberts, are now fixed
- Pterabytes, Dragonbombers, and Buggles can now be gobbled up

V1.2.3 Hotfix
Welp, looks like I did an oopsie. Fang's popgun should no longer be able to be blocked by attacks when Yoshi is currently loaded. Yoshi's own custom jump sound effects will now no longer layer over Mario Mode's own jump sound effect.

V1.2.2
This update is primarily to fix how broken Yoshi was in Battle Mode. There are a couple other changes as well.

Battle Mode Nerf: Yoshi is no longer a complete cheater in Battle Mode. Yoshi's tongue and thrown eggs can now be completely blocked by an opposing player if they are attacking. There also is now a delay before you can throw eggs again after getting hit. Yoshi's Boots of Steel ability will no longer apply to player attacks. These changes make it so that other players can actually defend themselves against Yoshi, and makes it so that playing as him requires more strategy.

Ground Pound Changes: The ground pound has been revamped slightly. The shockwave will now not hit anything in the air. It also visually depicts its range more accurately. It can also now destroy monitors and spikes. A tiny non-damaging shockwave will now display when hitting a spring and getting a boost from it. Ground pounding in flipped gravity will no longer cause desyncs. What was I thinking when I programmed it the way I did!?

Tongue Changes: Yoshi's tongue will now not destroy ring monitors of the opposing team in CTF. You also will no longer be able to lick up players that are on the same team as you. The mashing needed to escape from Yoshi's mouth has been halfed again because apparently it wasn't enough last time.

Mario Invincibility Music: The Mario Mode invincibility music will now always play when obtaining invincibility as Yoshi. Why not.

Other Unimportant Stuff: There's not much to say for this one. Pretty self-explanatory. Well, there is a new easter egg now, but that doesn't matter.

V1.2.1
A bit of a smaller update this time to add fixes that probably should have been in the previous version.

Flutter Jump Slight Buff: The initial Flutter Jump will now go slightly higher, around the same height it did before 1.2. All other nerfs will still apply though.

Wall Clipping Fix: I had tried to fix this last patch, but apparently it didn't actually work. Anyways, you should now not be able to spit players through walls or into the level boundaries to kill them.

Doubled Tongue Cooldown: What it says on the tin. Doubled the amount of time you have to wait to lick up the same object or player again after spitting them from one second to two.

Mashing Halfed: Also self-explanatory, halfed the amount of inputs you need to escape from Yoshi's mouth.

Tongue Monitor Breaking: You can now break monitors with Yoshi's tongue. Makes it so you don't have to slow down to jump on them, and alleviates disappointment from not being able to lick them up.

CSS Art Fix: Adding other custom characters will now no longer turn Yoshi's CSS art into the last character added.

V1.2
This version adds proper Battle Mode support, along with many fixes and tweaks to make playing as Yoshi a better experience.

Battle Mode Support: As just stated, Yoshi now has been tailored to work in Battle Mode! Spend 10 rings to lay an egg out of the blue. This allows you to take advantage of Yoshi's egg throwing alot more than you would normally. Of course, because this ability now exists, Yoshi will no longer get an egg from Ring Monitors in this mode. Other changes have been made to make Battle Mode more fair. The bug that let you hurt players while they're in your mouth has been fixed. Players no longer receive hit invulnerability when spit out by Yoshi, and instead simply can't be licked up again for one second.

3D Tongue: Yoshi's tongue is no longer a lame paper sprite that clips through his head, and is now complete pseudo-3D! Now it's much easier to actually tell where you're licking. In addition, the tongue's speed has been increased by 150%! This makes Yoshi's whole egg laying process alot less sluggish and tedious.

Flutter Jump Nerf: You hate to see it happen, but the flutter jump has been nerfed. It goes slightly lower, loses more height over time, and your horizontal speed starts to decrease after the first flutter jump. However, doing just one flutter jump won't result in any speed loss, so keep this in mind when going for the fastest time!

Egg HUD: The eggs you have will now display right above your life counter! Great for when you're in first person or simply can't get a good look at the eggs following you.

Boss Balancing: CEZ3 and BCZ2's bosses have been slightly adjusted to make them easier with Yoshi. In CEZ3, you are now able to eat the Eggrobo audience members, which will supply you with eggs to hit the boss with. Metal Sonic in his boss fight will now dodge out of the way if you try to gobble him up with Yoshi's tongue, which lets you more easily attack him.

Custom CSS Nametag: I just found out you could actually make a custom logo for your character on the character select screen, so I just had to add this.

Egg Spike Breaking: Now in addition to walls, thrown eggs can now break through spikes. This was to allow Amy's path in DSZ2 to be beaten without issue.

Code Optimization: Code has been optimized in certain areas to reduce lag that would be caused by Yoshi's long scripts. Hopefully this will result in a better experience for those of you with not so powerful computers.

Miscellaneous Bugfixes and Tweaks: I've also made some more changes than these, but either they're too insignificant, or I forgot about them already.

V1.1
Yep that's right, in less than 24 hours I've already made v1.1 a thing. Here's what's added in this update:

-yoshijump Command: Change Yoshi's jump sound from the original Yoshi's Island sfx, to Super Mario World's jump sound, or Yoshi Island DS's voice clips.

-yoshithrow Command: The Hasty egg throwing style from the Yoshi games has been added with this command! Simply release custom 1 to throw your eggs rather than having to press the button again.

-Spit Aiming: Yoshi will now auto-target the nearest enemy when spitting out enemies, just like Fang's popgun.

-Egg Wall Breaking: Yoshi's eggs can now break any walls! Use this new feature to access paths you couldn't before.

-Bugfixes: Yoshi will no longer be stuck at an odd angle when getting hit while starting a ground pound. Egg count will also now properly reset when entering a boss level with more than one egg. Spitting enemies will now direct them to where Yoshi is facing instead of where the camera is facing.

-Beeg Yoshi: beeg yoshi

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VCL_Yoshi-v1.2.5.pk3 (1.34 MB, 310 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-3-6aefc70e5ec7.gif
Views:	7387
Size:	4.36 MB
ID:	27526   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-3-48b99cc15ddb.gif
Views:	7347
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	27528   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20041.gif
Views:	7437
Size:	6.64 MB
ID:	27530   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-3-ab3cb2a43f86.gif
Views:	7369
Size:	5.68 MB
ID:	27531   Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-3-90a2855a8315.gif
Views:	4564
Size:	5.49 MB
ID:	27987  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-3-fbf7a956c155.gif
Views:	4562
Size:	5.71 MB
ID:	27988   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20048.gif
Views:	4567
Size:	7.36 MB
ID:	27989  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #42
EnderPreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP3000 View Post
It's due to the fact that Yoshi uses "PicName" in his SOC. This is something that isn't needed anymore due to the fact that "XTRAB0" is already dedicated to the CSS. If PicName is used, it will replace any custom characters' CSS with whatever character is added after it.
Is this something that I could fix on my own using SLADE, or will I need to wait for the creator to make a patch?

Also, it should be noted that Yoshi still has Neo Sonic's character select picture even when Neo Sonic isn't installed.
EnderPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #43
SMS Alfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderPreston View Post
Is this something that I could fix on my own using SLADE, or will I need to wait for the creator to make a patch?
So...uh...I actually already did before you even posted this comment. :V

Now all the CSS issues should be fixed.
SMS Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #44
Eis-Kold

First off, let me preface this by saying this is in the pantheon of 2.2 add-ons as it stands right now.

There's a small bug that occurs grabbing an enemy (behind the ramp in GFZ1, the one near the emerald token, is a good example). Not only can you grab said enemy through the ramp, but upon spitting them out while still standing right behind it, they just… appear atop it at the highest point frozen, and die after about three seconds. Maybe there's a way to work around that?

Besides that I've had no problems with this green dinosaur. He's one of my favorites to use and somehow fits perfectly.
Eis-Kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
EnderPreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS Alfredo View Post
So...uh...I actually already did before you even posted this comment. :V

Now all the CSS issues should be fixed.
Oh, nice! :)
EnderPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
SMS Alfredo

Just bumping this post because version 1.2.3 is out, and apparently people still thought Yoshi was on 1.2.1 because this post wasn't bumped when either 1.2.2 or 1.2.3 were released.

Basically 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 were balance changes to Yoshi for Battle, along with some other fixes to make the Yoshi experience better.

Hopefully doing this is still in line with the MB rules.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
Snoopi
Not related to "Snoopy".

So, this might sound like a very stupid question, but were you playing in a private multiplayer server when you recorded these gifs? because it seems like you're the only character there (aside from the Tails AI in one of them).
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
SMS Alfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopi View Post
So, this might sound like a very stupid question, but were you playing in a private multiplayer server when you recorded these gifs? because it seems like you're the only character there (aside from the Tails AI in one of them).

They were actually all recorded in Single Player, not a private multiplayer server. The Tails GIF was achieved by changing my character to Yoshi in the middle of a Sonic & Tails game via the skin command.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
Snoopi
Not related to "Snoopy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS Alfredo View Post
They were actually all recorded in Single Player, not a private multiplayer server. The Tails GIF was achieved by changing my character to Yoshi in the middle of a Sonic & Tails game via the skin command.
Okay, but if this was in single player, what about the colors in the gifs?
(Sorry if this also sounds stupid)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
Zanda_Sama

1. Many Minor Tweaks allows you to change your skincolor in singleplayer.
2. You can change your skin color without any mods, by using devmode 1 in the console menu.
3. You can also change your skin using devmode and using skin [skin].
4. There also exists a mod called Botskin which allows you to change your skin (without devmode) and be able to change your bot's skin.
5. devmode 0 disables devmode (cheats) and hides the coordinates that appear in the right corner based on which devmode flag you use (devmode 1, devmode 2, devmode 3, etc. have different results.)

Last edited by Zanda_Sama; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:18 AM.
Zanda_Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
Snoopi
Not related to "Snoopy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanda_Sama View Post
1. Many Minor Tweaks allows you to change your skincolor in singleplayer.
2. You can change your skin color without any mods, by using devmode 1 in the console menu.
3. You can also change your skin using devmode and using skin [skin].
4. There also exists a mod called Botskin which allows you to change your skin (without devmode) and be able to change your bot's skin.
5. devmode 0 disables devmode (cheats) and hides the coordinates that appear in the right corner based on which devmode flag you use (devmode 1, devmode 2, devmode 3, etc. have different results.)
Ah, thank you! I never even knew about this until now!
Old 1 Week Ago   #52
SMS Alfredo

Version 1.2.4 is now out.

Hopefully this will be the last update for a long time, and I won't have to make another one anytime soon.

Changelog is in the original post.
Old 1 Week Ago   #53
Icarus
The Final Doomer

This mod reminds me of Yoshi in Sonic 2 which is a good thing.
Old 4 Days Ago   #54
SMS Alfredo

1.2.5 is out. It fixes a bug in Battle Mode.

That's all this update is.

There is no April Fools joke.

go home
Attached Images

Old 1 Day Ago   #55
Zanda_Sama

Can you give Yoshi the ability to swim? I'm pretty sure he could swim in most if not every game he was in.

Last edited by Zanda_Sama; 1 Day Ago at 08:22 AM.
Old 3 Hours Ago   #56
Su_per
INCOMING MISSLE

This is- wait, did you say he can gobble up his friends too?
Memories of Kirby in 2.1 Shudders
Old 3 Hours Ago   #57
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_per View Post
This is- wait, did you say he can gobble up his friends too?
Memories of Kirby in 2.1 Shudders
I've completely forgotten that Kirby was a mod in SRB2. I hope he'll get ported to the 2.2 too.

Anyway is it possible to have a LUA for server to disable the gobbling?
Old 2 Hours Ago   #58
Zanda_Sama

`yoshigrief off`