This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Frostiikin

recovering elseif abuser
Judge
OVA KNUCKLES

attachment.php

So I had an idea, What if there was a character capable of taking any route through any level? Naturally, that made me think of how a character would be able to take knuckles' routes since those require such specific abilities, and of course the only solution is to have a knuckles clone with some unique perks.

Tweaks:
attachment.php
Glide & climb
attachment.php

It's knuckles' standard gliding and climbing, but with one major change, no more crouching! I know a lot of people (myself included) absolutely despise that crouch that he does, so if you're one of those people, this mod is for you.

Edit: As of version 2.2.5, knuckles' crouch is much less annoying. If it still annoys you however, this mod is still here :P

attachment.php
Jump Height
attachment.php

In order to take Sonic's routes through the levels, I needed to buff knuckles' base jump height. Don't worry, I didn't do anything crazy, he simply now has the same base jump height as Sonic.

attachment.php
Floor Auto-Break
attachment.php

Similarly to Azura, OVA Knuckles is capable of breaking breakable floors by simply standing on them, This is what allows him to take Amy and Fang's routes, as they are typically blocked off by a breakable floor.

attachment.php
Super Form
attachment.php

What it says on the tin, you no longer need an extra mod in order for you to go super as ova knuckles! The speed of his glide is greatly increased when super, so you can use that for some insane skips.

Edit: As of version 2.2.5, knuckles actually has a super form, and in a way, ova knuckles' super is kinda worse then vanilla's since he can't do the earthquake stomp.

attachment.php
Custom Music
attachment.php

Similarly to characters such as Neo Sonic, OVA Knuckles has custom music when using Speed Shoes, Invincibility, or going super. All of this music is taken directly from the Sonic OVA, so you can be sure it's all quality stuff.

attachment.php
A snazzy lookin' hat!
attachment.php

If all the gameplay related tweaks didn't sell you on ova knuckles, hopefully this will! Not only does he now have his famous hat from the OVA, but in some situations, (fall, roll, jump, and spindash) it's even effected by gravity, and will fall off of his head for a short time, or bounce ontop of you as you roll along the ground!

Credits:
Shitty spritework and ideas: Frostiikin#9107 (oh hey thats me)
Crouch Removal & Floor Autobreak: SwitchKaze#5561
Music Changer script: Bloobs#6535 and TelosTurntable#9752
Hat Physics: SMS Alfredo#7974

Massive thanks to all these people for helping with this, without them this wouldn't have been possible.

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20129.gif
    srb20129.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 4,168
  • srb20132.gif
    srb20132.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 2,263
  • srb20130.gif
    srb20130.gif
    5.1 MB · Views: 2,682
  • srb20131.gif
    srb20131.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 1,821
  • VCL_OVAKnux-v1.pk3
    1.5 MB · Views: 11,067
  • lowerresova.png
    lowerresova.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 47,470
  • hat2.png
    hat2.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 47,710
  • hatflip.png
    hatflip.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 47,785
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Knuckles can now actually beat Techno Hill 1 under the record attack time limit! Also what the heck is his speed shoe music? You said that the music is taken from the OVA but I don't remember a bad 8 second looping genesis midi being in the OVA. :/ There's no LIFEA0 in this mod, (the icon that shows up for life monitors) And the CSS Art could be improved. Sorry to shit on a mod, but I like how the glide isn't slow, (since normal Knuckles glide is slow), I like the changes, good mod.

Last edited:
This is awesome!

For some reason the gravity effects don't work on 2.2.0 / Mac -- the hat just disappears for a moment which is only really noticeable when using the wind shield or falling from a glide.

Love the speed shoe music, and it'll be fun to take Knuckles on previously unaccessible routes, like in Egg Rock.

He's got the hat onnnn! This Knuckles is basically everything a Knuckles fan could want, and it looks spectacular. The jump height and lack of a crouch will make him fun in race mode.

Did I mention I'm a Knuckles fan? And that I love the hat? The physics are awesome.

Alright, so after experimentation with this character, I have a few nitpicks:
1) Character select picture. While it looks pretty good, it doesn't exactly fit in.
2) Idle animation and signpost. I feel like these would also be good places to source the OVA. Maybe for one he could have his sunglasses? These are also some ideas:
Dbqom77XcAA4FMq.jpg

f9dfddf5766697dfe760e28f2d2d0877d77120b4_hq.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your job well done! I like this character he deserves. To bad we always get Him without the hat, but now He is.

Yes! Knuckles can now actually beat Techno Hill 1 under the record attack time limit! Also what the heck is his speed shoe music? You said that the music is taken from the OVA but I don't remember a bad 8 second looping genesis midi being in the OVA. :/ There's no LIFEA0 in this mod, (the icon that shows up for life monitors) And the CSS Art could be improved. Sorry to shit on a mod, but I like how the glide isn't slow, (since normal Knuckles glide is slow), I like the changes, good mod.

Wait what? I could've sworn i put in a lifea0. And also, this is where the speedshoes music is from. and this is where the invincibility music is from. You can probably guess pretty easily where the super theme is from lmao. And I do honestly agree about the css art, i'm still a novice artist at best and still learning, what specifically do you think I could improve with it?

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Alright, so after experimentation with this character, I have a few nitpicks:
1) Character select picture. While it looks pretty good, it doesn't exactly fit in.
2) Idle animation and signpost. I feel like these would also be good places to source the OVA. Maybe for one he could have his sunglasses? These are also some ideas:
Dbqom77XcAA4FMq.jpg

f9dfddf5766697dfe760e28f2d2d0877d77120b4_hq.jpg
That could work great for an update, if I ever revisit him i think i'll try to incorporate those, thanks for the ideas!

Thanks for telling me where the speed shoe music came from, I knew about the invincibility theme. I haven't heard the super theme yet. And life-icons not appearing might be an issue with opengl idk whats causing it.

For some reason the gravity effects don't work on 2.2.0 / Mac -- the hat just disappears for a moment which is only really noticeable when using the wind shield or falling from a glide.

This would be because the hat code uses a hook introduced in 2.2.1, known as PlayerThink. As such, the code is not compatible with 2.2.0.

I really hope the Mac version of SRB2 gets updated soon, because I've noticed alot of people having this problem with other mods too.

One small suggestion after seeing those screenshots of OVA above (its been a bit since I actually watched it) -- I feel like the hat could be, like, 10% bigger on him!

The hat looks really weird on him, I don't know if it's a problem with the physics, or if it's the size, it just doesn't look right. Probably because the hat is just an object, and isn't a part of the sprite itself. No sprites are changed for Knuckles himself. That's my guess.

This makes me wonder why Sega has forgotten that Knuckles with a Hat was a thing.

Even the OVA didn't bother to explain why he had one to begin with.

The hat looks really weird on him, I don't know if it's a problem with the physics, or if it's the size, it just doesn't look right. Probably because the hat is just an object, and isn't a part of the sprite itself. No sprites are changed for Knuckles himself. That's my guess.

Most of the sprites for Knux actually do have the hat edited in, though they rarely do use a different sprite

I think it's just that the hat looks small on him, and could stand to be a bit bigger. Looking at the OVA again, the hat is as big as the rest of his face!

But I know what you are saying. The sprite hat almost looks like a porkpie hat than a big Australian outback cowboy hat.

Just making it like 10-20ish% wider and a hair taller would do it. Not quite Pharrell at the Grammys big, but more like Crocodile Dundee.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back