SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Flame The Fire Dragon v3.1 Details »»
Flame The Fire Dragon v3.1
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (5 votes - 4.40 average)
Released: 01-14-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 3
Characters SOCs Scripts Sprites/Graphics

My sister and I wanted to try making a character wad so we decided to use our OC Flame the Dragon

Spoiler: Credits
  • The wad: Logan8r
  • All the sprites: my sister Artbunny
  • Blaze wad used as a base: .Luke
  • Help with Lua: SRB2 Scripting Discord
  • The Flame Aura an awesome Re-Useable skill: Timeos' Treasurebox (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=46385)
  • Boss Health bar graphics: K.S.
  • Hinote passive skills: Alice and Timeos

Collecting rings will charge up her Aura Bar, when it's full press Custom 1 to begin tossing fire at your enemies.
Boost Mode and Jump Boost, allows her to reach great heights if she can gain enough Speed.
She also has Fire Immunity and can Leave a fire trail while rolling.
Her downside is that she has low acceleration, leaving her weak to water and quicksand.

Download Now

File Type: zip VCL_FlameTheDragon-v3.1.zip (179.7 KB, 126 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20014.gif
Views:	2191
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	25506   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20013.gif
Views:	1906
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	25507   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20142.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	28363   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20028.gif
Views:	205
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	28364  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 01-14-2020   #2
D00D64
Worst Ranked 'Kart Player

Welcome to releases!

My awful Twitter account

My also awful YouTube channel
D00D64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020   #3
Telnaior

Honestly a neat character idea! At first she seems a little limited in what she can do, especially in slower, more twisty areas, but it's clear she has a lot of potential in the hands of someone skilled at keeping up her momentum, especially when it comes to platforming and more open areas.

One small note - on her character select page, there's a typo where "guard" is misspelled as "gaurd".
Telnaior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020   #4
Gomynola
Gomiken

Nice OC! She looks great! ^^ I will test her after work.

Edit: I've just played the main campaign with her. I like how the control feels generally. Her low acceleration and decceleration killed me sometimes XD, but it's ok.

I'm going to suggest you something and notice you a bug i've found.

The suggestion is: When she skids it would be awesome if the dust particle is replaced by flame. Like when you skid with Elemental Shield.
And the bug is (I don't know if this is intentional): When Brak Eggman shoots you with the Flamethrower it hurts you.

Last edited by Gomynola; 01-14-2020 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Comments after testing.
Gomynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020   #5
Lolour

It's Flare from 2.1 but without fallswitch
Old 01-14-2020   #6
teacup122

For some reason, her design reminds me of both Elise from '06 and Lilac from Freedom Planet at the same time.
But honestly, I enjoy her unique playstyle with her more momentum-based gameplay, but I feel like her acceleration is too low, so more cramped-areas make her un-fun to play.
Keep up the good work though!
teacup122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #7
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge

Hold up! This file has an error in the filename, it has a lua script active so the maps prefix should be VCL_ instead. So the final filename should be VCL_FlameTheDragon-v1.wad instead. Given that this is already out in releases I won't put it back in submissions now, but I recommend you fix this as soon as you can instead. (perhaps fixed alongside the typo that Telnaior pointed out and make this a v2 instead)

Just did a full all emeralds playthrough as this character, it was fun! Your sister did a good job with the sprites, it's always a treat to see a character released with a fully unique sprite set. Also, I noticed those asymmetrical horns warranting more artwork, that's extra work you could have sneakily gotten away with not doing and it's appreciated that you actually put in the effort to make that consistent.

The slow acceleration made Deep Sea Zone feel more like Mud Ocean Zone and I got stuck at one point and had to use a retry because her low acceleration got her stuck on a slope against a wall I couldn't spindash up, which isn't ideal but otherwise this worked fine.

Red Volcano is very silly when you're immune to almost everything in the stage, and I wasn't aware the immunity to fire would carry over into Special Stage 6 which was a surprise, but funny when I found out so it's all good.

Brak had a goofy inconsistency where his flamethrower hurt you, but not the flames they left behind. And the fire immunity this character has apparently made themselves immune to Brak's electricity shield too.

All in all though, this was a fun character! The slow accel but much higher jump after building up some speed changed how I approached a lot of scenarios and that's a sign it did something right gameplay wise.
Old 01-15-2020   #8
Logan8r
Ice Tails

Ok I fixed the typos.
Also i'm not sure whats up with brak?
Logan8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #9
Frostiikin
Meme Queen Supreme

Haven't had time to do a playthrough with her, but I really like her design! One issue though is that her fireproof ability thingy doesn't seem to work when loaded alongside tails guy for whatever reason, not a huge issue though.
Frostiikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020   #10
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan8r View Post
Ok I fixed the typos.
Also i'm not sure whats up with brak?
Thank you for updating the filename on short notice like that as well. And it turns out to be an issue with Black Eggman themself rather than your character according to the bug report forum, so never mind.
Old 01-15-2020   #11
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

This character is awesome! I hope someone makes a speedrun of Red Volcano with her. Between her jump boost, her dash mode and her immunity to fire and lava, she can just FLY all over the place in that level.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020   #12
Simon_T
Pyro the Hedgehog

I enjoyed playing as her, but I'm still feeling uneasy about her lack of a midair ability
The low accel is just the perfect balancing to her Jump Boost and Dash Mode c:
Old 01-16-2020   #13
Logan8r
Ice Tails

I'd like to give her a midair ability but I don't know what would work best for her, also I'd need help with the Lua.
Old 01-16-2020   #14
Frostiikin
Meme Queen Supreme

Maybe a move like sonic's stomp from colors, generations, ect that allows you to keep your momentum after the fall if you're holding a W,A,S, or D, but kills all momentum if none are held?
Frostiikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020   #15
Lolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan8r View Post
I'd like to give her a midair ability but I don't know what would work best for her, also I'd need help with the Lua.
Fallswitch from Flare, you know, that character from 2.1 that probally wont get reworked/ported to 2.2
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16
MADVAL2

This is So Beautiful UwU
MADVAL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17
CyberKnux
Knuckles Chuckles
Tempbanned (Strike 2)

Finally 2.1 Jump Boost! :D
CyberKnux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18
Logan8r
Ice Tails

Updated to V3 adding new abilities, sprites, support for Dirk, and a new color.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
MADVAL2

Oh My Goodness,An Update!!!,=3
MADVAL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Logan8r
Ice Tails

Just did a small update to fix of her code and sprites