SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Levels

Abandoned Airbase Zone V2 (SUGOI 2 Port) Details »»
Abandoned Airbase Zone V2 (SUGOI 2 Port)
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (4 votes - 4.60 average)
Released: 05-10-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 3
Single Player Levels Sprites/Graphics

Welcome to... Abandoned Airbase Zone!
Prepare to die get lost...

This is a level from SUGOI 2 (SUBARASHII), the one people might remember as the gigantic confusing airport. How has the level has been updated for 2.2? Let's find out!
  • More polish
  • Less confusing routes (hopefully)
  • A fancy skybox
  • An entirely-new secret path
  • EVEN MORE SECRETS
  • An emerald-hunt-style secret level - a preview of Act 2
  • Twelve emblems: 4 stat-based, 2 sonic-only, 6 global

This level is very special to me. Though it was included in SUGOI 2, its history stretches back a lot further. If you care to read further about the history of the level or the influences that went into it, or if youíre just in the mood for a text wall, feel free to read the spoilers below.

Spoiler: History

The idea for this level started a long time ago, in the 1.09.4 era. I was randomly browsing an empty server that had loaded an old multiplayer map pack when I came across a match level, Abandoned Mine Zone, with roughly this theme (see the influences section for details). I fell in love with that level. I tried and tried to make a singleplayer version of it, but I simply didnít have the skill or the imagination to pull it off. After all, it was about the second or third full level Iíd attempted to make after I completed my first map, Hidden Sanctuary Zone Act 1. I got as far as a tree in a square room with a cracking floor before giving up, thinking it would take too much tedious detail to make a base look like ruins.

The level basically remained as an idea - really more of a feeling - until SUGOI 2 prompted me to, well, shut up and get on it. By then Iíd been thinking so much about what I would do that the level essentially poured right out of my head. The majority of it was made in one month, and Iíve been polishing it off and on in my random spare time in the years since then. I guess thatís the 80/20 rule for you. The majority (80%) of the level was made in a minority (20%) of the time. Even now I donít feel like itís "finished". If the engine and time would allow me, I wouldíve had even more sprawling interconnected rooms branching out from the center, with secrets-within-secrets, more detail, more ruins, more polish. There are some themes I think I could work with indefinitely, and this is definitely one of them. But itís gotta release eventually and I think itís at a good point right now. I hope you agree.

Spoiler: Influences

I guess you could say that the main influence for this level is a feeling, one thatís hard to describe. This feeling has been represented in a variety of ways in my life so I included some examples below as an attempt to explain it:
  • This playlist I put together for the purpose of this post, especially the song Clocks by Coldplay: Abandoned Airbase Playlist
  • The old DSZ2 theme, obviously. I read a complaint that this is a water-level song but it's in an air level. But I think this song was actually composed with an air level in mind! (someone confirm me on that one...?)
  • Bright slanted rectangles of sunlight on an expanse of carpet in a brand new house
  • Concrete architecture on a crisp spring day
  • The first day of full sunlight after months of overcast. The kind that makes you want to reach your arms to the sky and soak it all in.
  • Wandering through random empty creative servers on Minecraft when the game was in its infancy, seeing the beautiful yet lifeless buildings. C418ís music is also a big source of this feeling.
  • BlueZero4ís 1.09.4 maps. The atmosphere in those levels influences me to this day.
  • Dark Souls. By god, Dark Souls. The interconnected world of that game revolutionized my philosophy of level design. On the chance that you played my few past levels, youíll notice that theyíre all incredibly linear and had little to no secrets. This one is the complete opposite!
  • The end of Nitric Citadel zone, especially the pillars and helipad motifs. It's amazing what those elements did to lift the mood of that level.
  • Last but not least: Abandoned Mine, an old multiplayer level from Some Dudeís multiplayerfusion levelpack from 1.09.4(mrtf_multiplayerfusion.wad). When you see this level, youíd be forgiven for thinking that all the previous influences are hogwash and that Iíve basically stolen my level idea from this map. And youíd be a little bit right. When I first explored this map as a kid, my jaw was on the floor. It was such a clear expression of the aforementioned ďfeelingĒ that it forever left an impression on me. I knew I HAD to make a singleplayer level with its theme. If I knew how to find Some Dude, Iíd thank him profusely and ask him if I could include his level here as an unlockable or something. If youíre out there reading this, Some Dude, this level is dedicated to you <3

Here's a couple of screenshots from Some Dude's level. Opening up 1.09.4 again to play this thing left me a little underwhelmed. It's amazing how much 2.2 has raised the bar for content.
Click image for larger version

Name:	am1.png
Views:	81
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	31053 Click image for larger version

Name:	am2.png
Views:	76
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	31054

Even with all these examples, thereís no way of guaranteeing that youíve had this feeling in your life. To me, thatís the job of good art. Itís not even really about the level, itís about the connection. The level is an attempt to deliver the same feeling to you. If youíve had a similar feeling in your life, and if Iíve done a good job at infusing it into my level, then maybe we can share that feeling for a brief moment. And if not, then thatís fine too. Hopefully you can simply enjoy playing an open exploration-based level.

Youíll have to forgive me if this all sounds insufferably sentimental or artsy-fartsy, but Iíve been thinking about this stuff for a good portion of my life :P

With all that out of the way, I hope you enjoy the level as much as I enjoyed making it! I recommend your first playthrough with Sonic. All the emblems are obtainable by Sonic, and playing as him will make navigation a little easier.

Oh, and if youíve never played the SUGOI 2 version before, I have a bold request for you - please record your first playthrough and post the video here if that's possible for you.

The level is notoriously confusing, somewhat purposely so, and even though Iíve worked at making it a little easier to navigate, maybe itís still too confusing. If I see where you get turned around or frustrated then I can fix up any common pain points. At the end of the day, it's much easier for me to see where you got lost, rather than you telling me.

Thanks for playing!!!!!

Download Now

File Type: zip VS_AbandonedAirbase-v2.3.wad.zip (1.85 MB, 585 views)

Screenshots

Name:	aaz_forum 1.png
Views:	2915
Size:	635.7 KB
ID:	31047   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaz_forum 2.png
Views:	2901
Size:	601.5 KB
ID:	31048   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaz_forum 3.png
Views:	2894
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	31049   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	40
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	31050   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.png
Views:	33
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	31051  

Name:	6.png
Views:	29
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	31052  

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-13-2020   #22
Puppyfaic

Very happy to see my favorite level from SUBARASHII back as a standalone! Very few people make levels like these and it's a damn shame. Thanks for bringing this back.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020   #23
Ice
Pretty chill guy

The wad has been updated to v2.2 fixing the door skipping exploit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turret 49 View Post
Oh, I don't know if you're aware of this ancient Doom Engine trick, but the bars blocking the exit can be glided through. (I've yet to successfully glide through both sets of bars)
Look at this guy, finding bugs left and right! I don't wanna take my chances making the gap 31 wide and somehow having this still happen, so I put an invisible FOF between the bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysakado View Post
This was my first time playing this, and wow. It's been a really long time since I've seen this type of exploration-based level, and it was amazing to play through it. As requested, have a video.
Super, SUPER appreciated! It was incredible to watch that - some stuff I thought was obvious totally wasn't, while some stuff that wasn't obvious you got first try. So far I didn't feel like you were TOTALLY lost at any point, though, so that was good. It also looked like you were too stubborn to look at the emblem hints for a good while :)

Quote:
That said, the visuals overall do feel very final demo-era - is that what you were going for? This didn't bother me at all, but it does make the map feel out of place in today's environments.
You know, I've gotten that a lot! People have been saying that the level feels reminds them of 1.09.4-era design, but in a good way. I've been trying to figure out what this means, but I'm not quite sure yet...
Old 05-14-2020   #24
Snowy
PersistantRubine

If I had to guess, the 'good way' of the era's design it's reminding them of is how those maps had to do so much with so little. Nowadays we have slopes, FOFs, poly-objects, tons of gimmicks, updated graphics, countless enemies... A map in the old days had to try so hard to be different than all of the other maps out there. This one kinda reminds me of how empty some of those maps felt by comparison to the ones we have today, but it uses that to it's advantage.
Old 05-14-2020   #25
Kaysakado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Super, SUPER appreciated! It was incredible to watch that - some stuff I thought was obvious totally wasn't, while some stuff that wasn't obvious you got first try. So far I didn't feel like you were TOTALLY lost at any point, though, so that was good. It also looked like you were too stubborn to look at the emblem hints for a good while :)
Yeah, of course! Once I understood kind of the looping nature of the map it made more sense to me where everything was. I took the broken pipe section first which I think made it a little harder for me to get the layout initially as it involves a one-way drop. And yeah I was trying to avoid the emblem hints but it was getting late at night and I was tired lol. I think I would've been stuck on the zoomtube one for a long time without the hint for sure - that was one of my favorite ones, though! The only other hint I used was for the broken pipe, which jogged my memory - I noticed the other half of the pipe when I first got there but slipped and fell before I could check it out - losing my attraction shield in the process :(
Kaysakado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #26
CaveQuest

As someone who really worked hard to speedrun Subarashii this version is throwing me a bit off but I am really liking this update! I still had a quick run through it so I will make a video later on this level for you to look at!
CaveQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020   #27
GameJoshX9
You Gotta be Joshing me

Quote:
Oh, and if youíve never played the SUGOI 2 version before, I have a bold request for you - please record your first playthrough and post the video here if that's possible for you.
Well, since you asked...

I never really played the full SUGOI trilogy, I played SUGOI 1 on a server, and bits and pieces of SUGOI 2 on one as well, never really got that far or played this level on it. I never touched SUGOI 3.
GameJoshX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020   #28
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameJoshX9 View Post
Thanks a lot!! I always thought that playing as Tails the first time through would screw someone up a whole lot more, but you seemed to get your bearings really quickly! You seemed to take quick note of exactly where everything was, and knew how to return there, which led to some hilarious moments where you turned back (or almost turned back) to go the long way back to the central area, rather than take the shortcut that just opened 30ft away :P

Even so, you completed the level rather quickly as tails, so that's a win in my book.

Quote:
However, some of the physics puzzles were a little bit janky - the underwater fans in particular were very inconsistent. It was a little bit frustrating in that I knew what I had to do, but it felt like luck whether or not a particular jump would work out or not.
I agree and I've been thinking about this lately. I think a solution would be to flatten the surface of the water and strengthen the current a bit. I always loved the wavy-water effect (though attempting it with slopes was a nightmare I wasn't willing to subject myself to), but I think the problem happens where, when you're exiting the pool, you splash through a corner of another water sector and nearly get launched into space. If I remove the visual effect and make the top plane of the water flat, I think that would do it. It would make me sad to lose the dynamic look of the water, though...

Anyway, I've updated the wad to Version 2.3. The elevator in the intro of the secret level was not multiplayer-friendly. This has been fixed.
Old 06-02-2020   #29
rudestbuster

This was a really fun level! It took me a good while and a lot of climbing and gliding. I tried to do it as Sonic, but I found it much easier to play with Knuckles, and I'm so glad I did because of one particular moment in this video. You'll know it when you see it!

Last edited by rudestbuster; 06-02-2020 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Realized I could embed links into text!
rudestbuster is offline   Reply With Quote