Why there is no loop physics in SRB2?

Loops and slopes aren't the same.

In comparison to loops, slopes are very easy to implements.
Loops require running on walls(or they will look wrong), something that the Doom engine can't do

Well for me, loops did "work", in some maps, there are invisible forces that automatically move you in any direction

Simple. Not only is it hard to make a proper code for loops to works, it's even more tedious to make more sprites to go along with it, making the game much more boring to make a mod of. And in case you don't know what I mean, here's an image I got from another post about loops:
1637927995174.png

On top of the sprite toll, there's also the fact that in the Doom engine, floors and walls are all treated fundamentally different from eachother, which would require a LOT of work to make not the case.

I don't get how making new sprites is tedious, I really don't. It takes some time, but I'll be satisfying to see it in action after all.
Post automatically merged:

And to be fair, Nev3r did make a test level with loops and stuff.

I won't.

That reminds me, you COULD use Xtreme sprites as placeholders. I don't see why not!

I don't get how making new sprites is tedious, I really don't. It takes some time, but I'll be satisfying to see it in action after all.

And to be fair, Nev3r did make a test level with loops and stuff.
it'd be satisfying to see done, that is true

but do you have ANY idea how long it takes to make a singular sprite, let alone dozens to make walk and run cycles for the angles used in srb2 alone, not including the possibly hundreds more that would be needed to account for all the other angles should loops be properly implemented? as a spriter who has made plenty of animations and big pieces, it's a task i wouldn't wish on another human being.

Don't those lack all the rotations too? Besides the Knuckles Running sprites.
Yeah, I don't even get the fuss about the sprites when sloperollangle exists. Not to mention, if you use loops, you should only see what's ahead of you. I still stick with Xtreme sprites.

Also the Knuckles sprites aren't available.

it'd be satisfying to see done, that is true

but do you have ANY idea how long it takes to make a singular sprite, let alone dozens to make walk and run cycles for the angles used in srb2 alone, not including the possibly hundreds more that would be needed to account for all the other angles should loops be properly implemented? as a spriter who has made plenty of animations and big pieces, it's a task i wouldn't wish on another human being.
It would be alot better if the SRB2 sprites had more variety though. Advanced movement, that wouldn't take extra work...

sloperollangle is just a mod and shows no sign of being added in. Plus you forgot to factor in multiplayer.
While you may only need to see ahead, you may have other people seeing you from other angles.

Which also ALSO reminds me that sloperollangle is technically broken in 2P.

It would be alot better if the SRB2 sprites had more variety though. Advanced movement, that wouldn't take extra work...
if you're so confident that making hundreds of extra sprites isn't at all hard work then why don't you give it a try for yourself

Making hundreds of extra sprites takes a lot of work. I'm no spriter at all, but I am certain that drawing and making sure every sprite looks exactly how it should be takes a lot of time and effort. This, multiplied by the amount of characters in the game.

Not to mention this would also add unnecessary work for anybody making a custom character. Imagine making an asymmetrical character and having to make sprites for every overhead and underhead rotation... *shivers*.

Advanced movement, that wouldn't take extra work...
Uh, yes; yes it would
Considering the game considers walls and flats to be different subjects, unlike a true 3D engine that considers anything solid as a wall, you would need to make several special cases.
Even by having everything simplified to "everything is a wall", you'd still have to program the part where you go around the loop.

Loops aren't even fun in 3D - In 2D they're pretty neat to build speed, to exploit to build speed, or just to showcase to the player how fast they go, but they don't work as well outside 2D.

Making hundreds of extra sprites takes a lot of work. I'm no spriter at all, but I am certain that drawing and making sure every sprite looks exactly how it should be takes a lot of time and effort. This, multiplied by the amount of characters in the game.

Not to mention this would also add unnecessary work for anybody making a custom character. Imagine making an asymmetrical character and having to make sprites for every overhead and underhead rotation... *shivers*.

Uh, yes; yes it would
Considering the game considers walls and flats to be different subjects, unlike a true 3D engine that considers anything solid as a wall, you would need to make several special cases.
Even by having everything simplified to "everything is a wall", you'd still have to program the part where you go around the loop.

Loops aren't even fun in 3D - In 2D they're pretty neat to build speed, to exploit to build speed, or just to showcase to the player how fast they go, but they don't work as well outside 2D.
No, it doesn't. Also, you don't need to do THAT MANY sprites to do looping...

Care to explain how is that the case?

If you want the player character to look good in the eyes of other players during a multiplayer setting, yes, you kinda have to.
Might as well go full 3D then. Because otherwise, it's impossible unless you work at Disney. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back