Why there is no loop physics in SRB2?

Thinking about it, the gravity trick could still work for a "proper" loop if additional conditions are applied to enhance the illusion. It already looks like it flips the gravity back to normal when you slow down below a certain speed, so if it also doesn't rotate the gravity until you are faster than a certain speed then it would (at least on paper) create the illusion of a proper loop from a gameplay perspective. It could still end up being kinda jank, but it's an idea to perhaps toy around with at least.

As for the sprites, simply rotating the sprites seems to be the best compromise at the moment, though this does likely still come with the multiplayer dilemma of players who are running on walls appearing invisible or awkwardly rotated when viewed from "above" off to the side or at other odd angles. Forcing everyone in multiplayer to use models probably wouldn't be very popular either, nor would it be possible for many addon characters.

I expect that if this does get implemented in 2.3, it will probably be similar to 2.1's slopes in that the official levels don't incorporate it, but it's there for community level designers to find uses for.

Thinking about it, the gravity trick could still work for a "proper" loop if additional conditions are applied to enhance the illusion. It already looks like it flips the gravity back to normal when you slow down below a certain speed, so if it also doesn't rotate the gravity until you are faster than a certain speed then it would (at least on paper) create the illusion of a proper loop from a gameplay perspective. It could still end up being kinda jank, but it's an idea to perhaps toy around with at least.

As for the sprites, simply rotating the sprites seems to be the best compromise at the moment, though this does likely still come with the multiplayer dilemma of players who are running on walls appearing invisible or awkwardly rotated when viewed from "above" off to the side or at other odd angles. Forcing everyone in multiplayer to use models probably wouldn't be very popular either, nor would it be possible for many addon characters.

I expect that if this does get implemented in 2.3, it will probably be similar to 2.1's slopes in that the official levels don't incorporate it, but it's there for community level designers to find uses for.
I mean yeah, i guess loops may have a staple in the SRB2 Community. Well, there are loops in Sonic games and fangames, why not have loops in SRB2?

srb21606.gif
This gives me an idea, actually. I wonder if it would be possible to make a level that is a really big sphere, and use that to make a Sonic 3 Blue Spheres recreation?

Ew, I kinda don't like the lowkey infighting responses here...? I'll try to actually explain.
Tell me, slopes physics work (kinda), but not loops
The short answer: It simply hasn't been done. The engine can be something of a rat's nest, and few dare to provoke the hive.

The long answer: Getting something like loops to work on the SRB2 engine has been something of a herculean task due to the mere concept of "walking up a wall/ceiling" being a nightmare to implement for a engine originally made in 1992 (i.e. you'd have to check if Sonic's stuck on the slope not moving Sonic 4 style, you'd have to check if he's going fast enough to go over the loop, you'd have to account for the player jumping off, you'd have to check if he's on the ceiling of the loop, etc). There's also the problem of sprites, which... I think people focus way too much on (why do you think several mods back in the Climax Age had "SSN WAS HERE" as a placeholder?).
1646402396895.png

While in most other engine you can just have Sonic be able to continue running on the loop going in 3D circles and say "fuck you" to physics, the SRB2 engine (pictured right, doing what it knows best) is a lot more rigid with how it wants the player to jump and move around, especially in angles and slopes and is something of a parasite that leeches a bit too comfortably onto its host.

With the scary task of even adding slopes in the game not fully realized until way into the mid-2010s (thanks to a toxic cocktail of dev politics, crab buckets, and the tools and motivation just not being there), loops has been something of a collaborative and programming tough nut to crack for the SRB2 modders. I'm not even fully sure if there have been more serious attempts outside of the classic "gravity switcheroo" and the Discord PoC!

Up until recently in the SRB2OS's #devetopment, it was very arresting on how to even approach Sonic going in a loop (even in Sonic Adventure, loops were kinda just "there" with little how and say on how you wanted to go on it unless you wanted to be flung off). Slopes and ramps were half-easy in execution (if a little janky, looking at you SUGOI), but it's a whole another beast to get Sonic to just walk on walls. Do you just stick him in the ceiling, or do you somehow rotate the entire stage? Do you have him rigidly go in one circular spline, or do you have him move left to right Sonic Dash style? No one really knows!

But someday, there will be a brave soul who will dive deep into SRB2's Git and very gradually mine their way to making Sonic be able to fully function with loops, and it'll be optional and no one would have to destroy their hands and eyes having to draw Mario in a ungodly amount of angles. But I don't know when that day will come...

I believe, from other things, that this is already the case.

Attachments

• xonotic20220319202123-00.jpg
    xonotic20220319202123-00.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 137
  • xonotic20220319203007-00.jpg
    xonotic20220319203007-00.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 103
  • xonotic20220319202325-00.jpg
    xonotic20220319202325-00.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 123

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back