What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?

I will say I find it a bit confusing that Past Sonic of all mods is nonreusable; the lua is simply using another reusable lua template, and the sprites themselves were not made by the author, rather SSNTails, who has gone on record to say that he believes all mods should be reusable (make of that what you will) so if he was given the choice he would definitely want the sprites to be so as well.

if we're going by community wide definitions, whereupon
  • a recolor mod is basically taking the sprites of an existing character, changing its base color and making a mod out of it
    • in that case, i'd be okay with it? if it has something unique to it and the artist doesn't see a problem with the recoloring, i don't see any problem with it
  • a port is a mod that is based on a version of a preexisting mod, tweaked specifically to be played on a different version
    for example, a 2.1 mod modified to work on 2.2, or viceversa
    • in that case, i'd be okay with it? it's up to whether the author doesn't see a problem with it
as you can see, it all boils down to
"is author ok with it?"

i'm not a judge though, i can say all the dumb shit i want but i'm not the paragon of guideline following

i should clarify that i never said ports aren't allowed, i have no clue where did you get that.
I should've rephrased on the "ports aren't allowed part, but the term portleg puts leaves a very negative impression

"portleg" is a portmanteau of "port" and "bootleg"
port, because... port
bootleg, of "product illegally made, distributed or sold"

making a port without the author's blessing fulfills "product illegally made", and releasing it somewhere still without their blessing tacks "product illegally distributed" on top
thus gaining the "bootleg" adjective

and a portleg is born!

not my fault people sometimes use the word for the wrong stuff, usually pointing to what they percieve as low quality content apparently :blink:
guess that's because of what the word "bootleg" is usually erroneously used for? iunno

so it's a sonic that's based on the early days of srb2, with VERY low quality, plays the EXACT same as sonic, but it's okay.

and then we have ports, which are also taken from the past, also wit low quality, plays the same way, but they're not allowed because of permission?
Yes, because it has permission. Ports are also fine so long as they have permission (which is often given up-front). You are again admitting that you care more about a mod's personal value to you than actual integrity or respect.

Yes, because it has permission. Ports are also fine so long as they have permission (which is often given up-front). You are again admitting that you care more about a mod's personal value to you than actual integrity or respect.
I keep on hearing that some of past sonic's sprites are edits from the original, unless if y'all are are gaslighting me, isn't this against the rules?

I keep on hearing that some of past sonic's sprites are edits from the original, unless if y'all are are gaslighting me, isn't this against the rules?
Past Sonic was created from publicly released sprites made for old versions of SRB2. The sprites were not finished, and thus were finished for the mod. They had permission. That has never been against the rules. You are entirely allowed to make edits with permission.

Why... would it be against the rules? Even edited sprites are still custom sprites. And saying ssntails thinks all mods should be reusable solves the issue of the mod being a portleg

so no credit?
Credit is literally given in the original post, and they had permission to boot.

1695675873197.png

You do not seem to actually have an argument and will instead pointlessly fight everything anyone else says. This has no relevance to anything.
neither is your talk about artists and reusability. the thread says "What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?" not what are the mb rules.

this does what?
he's letting you know that the thread title question was answered already, quickly bringing up "what is a portleg?" and "how does reusability tie into this?" and evolving further afterwards

@Hammerhead, dude, really
you don't seem like you're trying to make an argument of any kind, you're just attacking random points or people over random junk

do you have anything to add or are you just going to keep doing that shtick?

he's letting you know that the thread title question was answered already, quickly bringing up "what is a portleg?" and "how does reusability tie into this?" and evolving further afterwards

@Hammerhead, dude, really
you don't seem like you're trying to make an argument of any kind, you're just attacking random points or people over random junk

do you have anything to add or are you just going to keep doing that shtick?
are you going to stop witch-hunting people for wanting to enjoy the game, or are you just going to stay stuck in this forum?

do i look like i'm witch-hunting
i'm just telling you to either actually follow the thread's topic, or go make your own thread

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back