What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?

I think if people want to criticize you for that yes that should be okay

Mods ARE art but that’s why I think everything should be usable by everyone, ESPECIALLY in cases where it’s transformative
What would the critic even sound like?

"this mod is good but I can't use it for my mod so it gets 2 less stars ):"

that's really petty.

What would the critic even sound like?

"this mod is good but I can't use it for my mod so it gets 2 less stars ):"

that's really petty.
How is it petty to dislike the idea of someone creating something, ESPECIALLY using reusable mods, and then telling ppl they can’t reuse it?
Again I’m not saying do things without permission, moreso as an artist, I think morally the right thing to do is to give permission

How is it petty to dislike the idea of someone creating something, ESPECIALLY using reusable mods, and then telling ppl they can’t reuse it?
Again I’m not saying do things without permission, moreso as an artist, I think morally the right thing to do is to give permission
If I don't want my lua script I spent time and effort on to be reused by some random, that's fine. I personally like making all my things by myself and I think that making a mod non reusable with reusable stuff is a bug (?) but that should be a problem anyways because you can just find the reusable stuff anyways. People should have to LEARN how to make what they want, not just take it from another mod and get the easy way out.

That's good for you, but many artists disagree. Ultimately, we spend hours of our free time on these projects, and so if we so choose to desire permission before publishing edits of our art, I think that's totally reasonable. Not everyone has the same view of art as you do. It should be up to the artist, as the creator, to have that decision.

The only reason I don’t drop stems for all my songs is bc as far as I can tell no one wants them lol
But I spend hours on my songs, and I think you should be able to take my songs, and make a new thing with them, just credit me. Is that really such an unreasonable view? That art
If I don't want my lua script I spent time and effort on to be reused by some random, that's fine. I personally like making all my things by myself and I think that making a mod non reusable with reusable stuff is a bug (?) but that should be a problem anyways because you can just find the reusable stuff anyways. People should have to LEARN how to make what they want, not just take it from another mod and get the easy way out.
I don’t think it’s a bug, it’s kind of why I’m in a weird situation with the pack I’m makin rn, I’m cool w/ ppl reusing my stuff, not cool w/ ppl reusing my stuff and telling others they can’t reuse the stuff they made with my stuff

I don’t think it’s a bug, it’s kind of why I’m in a weird situation with the pack I’m makin rn, I’m cool w/ ppl reusing my stuff, not cool w/ ppl reusing my stuff and telling others they can’t reuse the stuff they made with my stuff
If its not a bug and its intentional then that's pretty poor design. Hopefully that gets patched out sometime later.

That's good for you, but many artists disagree. Ultimately, we spend hours of our free time on these projects, and so if we so choose to desire permission before publishing edits of our art, I think that's totally reasonable. Not everyone has the same view of art as you do. It should be up to the artist, as the creator, to have that decision.
I understand and respect that, however I think the system inherently implies “you cannot make things with this” not “you gotta ask me”

As well, there’s a point where one could argue something is no longer an edit of existing art, everywhere at the end of time is not a “dementia edit” of a bunch of songs

The stuff they made with your stuff will involve stuff made by other people, including them. It is no longer solely your work at that point.

As well, there’s a point where one could argue something is no longer an edit of existing art, everywhere at the end of time is not a “dementia edit” of a bunch of songs
Can you name an example of this happening in this community?

If it’s not a bug and its intentional then that's pretty poor design. Hopefully that gets patched out sometime later.
Yeah me too, most of the stuff I’m saying is for conversation bc I like talking abt stuff, but that’s the one thing where I very strongly feel it *needs* to be changed, like at least give me the option to do that lmao
Post automatically merged:

The stuff they made with your stuff will involve stuff made by other people, including them. It is no longer solely your work at that point.
But that’s what I’m getting at, if it’s not solely my work anymore then who am I to stop them from reusing my work?

Can you name an example of this happening in this community?
This community doesn’t really allow for it, and that’s kinda my point

But that’s what I’m getting at, if it’s not solely my work anymore then who am I to stop them from reusing my work?
I think you misunderstood my point. It's out of your control at that point, as it should be. The bits of your work that appear in the reproduction are still fine to reuse, but not the pieces original to the edit. Nobody is able to stop anyone from using your pieces of that work, since they were released in a reusable work.
This community doesn’t really allow for it, and that’s kinda my point
Not true; if your logic is correct, it could happen with reusable mods, couldn't it?

I think you misunderstood my point. It's out of your control at that point, as it should be. The bits of your work that appear in the reproduction are still fine to reuse, but not the pieces original to the edit. Nobody is able to stop anyone from using your pieces of that work, since they were released in a reusable work.

Not true; if your logic is correct, it could happen with reusable mods, couldn't it?
My point is if it’s ok for ppl to say no one can reuse this without permission, I should have the option to say “you can reuse this, but your mod also must be reusable” like I should be able to make that decision there should be an option for that

It could, and I can guarantee you it does, I don’t exactly feel like finding individual examples for everything right now, but I can give you an endless sea of examples from general art, art that’s sold, art where there is actually a reason one would want to keep it to themselves

My point is if it’s ok for ppl to say no one can reuse this without permission, I should have the option to say “you can reuse this, but your mod also must be reusable” like I should be able to make that decision there should be an option for that

It could, and I can guarantee you it does, I don’t exactly feel like finding individual examples for everything right now, but I can give you an endless sea of examples from general art, art that’s sold, art where there is actually a reason one would want to keep it to themselves
I don't think this whole system is as rigid as you think it is. There's nothing stopping you from indicating your wishes on the mod page and nothing to suggest the mods won't respect those wishes if the issue is brought up to them.

After all, what is this system if not a way for creators to express their wishes regarding their work

I'm sure you didn't mean to phrase it like that but I don't think that because they use a piece of your mod which you marked as reusable, that means that they need to make the entirety of the rest of their mod reusable as well. I don't think it's entirely necessary because If, for example, Modder X uses a reusable mod from Modder Y in their mod, and Modder Z in turn wants to use that reusable thing for their own separate mod, they're most likely going to get it straight from Modder Y's submission rather than the edited version from modder X.

I'm sure you didn't mean to phrase it like that but I don't think that because they use a piece of your mod which you marked as reusable, that means that they need to make the entirety of the rest of their mod reusable as well. I don't think it's entirely necessary because If, for example, Modder X uses a reusable mod from Modder Y in their mod, and Modder Z in turn wants to use that reusable thing for their own separate mod, they're most likely going to get it straight from Modder Y's submission rather than the edited version from modder X.
it’s moreso I would like a built in option to do that, again if it’s all abt
I don't think this whole system is as rigid as you think it is. There's nothing stopping you from indicating your wishes on the mod page and nothing to suggest the mods won't respect those wishes if the issue is brought up to them.

After all, what is this system if not a way for creators to express their wishes regarding their work
im aware of this, but I have to make my mod non reusable to do this, which kind of goes against what I’m trying to do here (eg create a theoretical chain of reusability that would encourage new creators) and I feel like that should be an option, because from my experience MANY ppl think it does work that way

I don’t think it’s always necessary but I think if someone can make their mod non reusable, or make their mod fully reusable, I should have the option to create a chain of reusability

Personally, I would prefer it that if you modify something I made that's reusable, that your edit should be too.

And what if you got special permission to use something that's otherwise nonreusable in the same mod?
That would have to be between the editor and the author of the non-reusable asset that gave special permission.

Basically the best way you would make it clear that an asset in a non-reusable mod is a reusable one is to have a note in the soc or lua.

Mind you I'm saying this as someone who's already had their re-usable content edited for other peoples' levels.

In my case personally, then it’s equally as valid for me to no longer want one to reuse my mod
I think they're pointing out the flaw in this system, being that if you have a mod that incorporates something marked as nonreusable, but then also incorporate someone's mod with this hypothetical "chain of reusability" where because you utilized something from their mod, you have to mark it as reusable. You can't use both assets in the same mod because they contradict each other.

EDIT: Swapped my they and you

That would have to be between the editor and the author of the non-reusable asset that gave special permission.

Basically the best way you would make it clear that an asset in a non-reusable mod is a reusable one is to have a note in the soc or lua.

Mind you I'm saying this as someone who's already had their re-usable content edited for other peoples' levels.
Why not just mark it as non-reusable then? The reusable content can still be found in the other mod.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back