What can we expect from 2.3?

ExenP3570

Sucks At Level Design™
Ello there. Before you say "but 2.3 leak stuff is on the wiki", and other things, I just want to point out something for people who don't know (and who doesn't read the wiki).

Levels

We are getting new zones for 2.3, Dark City [Used in Demo 2 (and yes, I fixed that)] and Grand Eggship (Used to be called Doom Ship Zone, but it got confusing when used like DSZ or Deep Sea. Also used in Demo 2). And finally some new multiplayer special stages.

New levels

When I heard Dark City is coming back, I wondered how the layout was gonna be this time. The original was very, well... I should say not even a level but a normal city with no badniks and not even a path to follow. Act 2 was more straightforward with killing goop and a path. Act 3 was the usual Green Flower boss. (They didn't have any other bosses so it was a placeholder.) The boss was going to be Brak Eggman but was cut for the final boss.

Grand Eggship only had one act in Demo 2. I seems Sonic Team Junior was trying to get the shape of an doomship. Once you finish it, you go straight to Robotnik Rock (Egg Rock).

The multiplayer special stages are in development and will have something that works for multiplayer. The one we have now was the one used in 2.0.

New Things

We will get bug fixes soon and will have the following (straight from the wiki):

• Proper menus are planned to be in the next version, rather than just text that overlays the title screen.
  • Map names will no longer be restricted to the MAPxx format, instead allowing for any string of text.
  • Proper level transitions to connect the main zones as seen in Sonic 3 are planned to be implemented in a future release. A primitive form of these were previously present in v2.0, but were removed in v2.1 due to issues regarding netgames.
  • Emblems will receive a visual overhaul. They will rotate continuously and bob up and down, flapping their wings.
  • It is eventually planned to add a passive ability to the Whirlwind Shield, to match the other shields which have both an active and a passive ability.
  • The game's physics, especially involving air control, slopes, and acceleration, are planned to be significantly reworked, but nothing is set in stone yet.
  • Sonic's mid-air jump ability, which has been the thok ever since SRB2 Christmas, is planned to be replaced or redesigned entirely to allow for a more intuitive experience for beginner players.
(This is straight from the wiki and I do not claim it as my own.)

Other Things

Castle Eggman will get more revamped and have more things in the future.

Egg Rock will have a full blowover and no more look like 2.1. It will also get their Act 3.

Red Volcano will get the two acts missing.

Deep Sea is also getting a revamp.

Leaks

Future Exen here. I just found more leaks on the wiki, going up to screenshots and gifs of 2.3! It kinda looks like they're reworking the whole entire game to fit in the new physics.

Greenflower Zone
Greenflower Zone is getting remade to incorporate slopes in the design, like the gifs below. Also, loops for some reason.
250px-Physics_rework.gif
250px-Physics_rework2.gif
250px-Physics_rework3.gif

320px-Updatedgfz.png
320px-Updatedgfz2.png
320px-Updatedgfz3.png
320px-Updatedgfz4.png

Techno Hill Zone
Also getting remade, the steam jets now are diagonal, and they will make it so you can have your double jump ability while in the air instead of the falling animation.
300px-Thzsteamjet.gif

Egg Rock or Grand Eggship?
There is no description on this, but maybe it's the new zone: Grand Eggship?

300px-Updatederz.gif

Wiki page: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/In_development

Last edited:
So... Ringslinger won't be removed? If so, they will already expect from player like me defining a lua script for it from scratch, defining the gametype variable, too.

So... Ringslinger won't be removed? If so, they will already expect from player like me defining a lua script for it from scratch, defining the gametype variable, too.
Ringslinger will be removed in 2.3.

Ello there. Before you say "but 2.3 leak stuff is on the wiki", and other things, I just want to point out something for people who don't know (and who doesn't read the wiki).

Levels

We are getting new zones for 2.3, Dark City (Used in 2.0) and Grand Eggship (Used to be called Doom Ship Zone, but it got confusing when used like DSZ or Deep Sea. Also used in 2.0). And finally some new multiplayer special stages.

New levels

When I heard Dark City is coming back, I wondered how the layout was gonna be this time. The original was very, well... I should say not even a level but a normal city with no badniks and not even a path to follow. Act 2 was more straightforward with killing goop and a path. Act 3 was the usual Green Flower boss. (They didn't have any other bosses so it was a placeholder.) The boss was going to be Brak Eggman but was cut for the final boss.

Grand Eggship only had one act in 2.0. I seems Sonic Team Junior was trying to get the shape of an doomship. Once you finish it, you go straight to Robotnik Rock (Egg Rock).

The multiplayer special stages are in development and will have something that works for multiplayer. The one we have now was the one used in 2.0.

New Things

We will get bug fixes soon and will have the following (straight from the wiki):

• Proper menus are planned to be in the next version, rather than just text that overlays the title screen.
  • Map names will no longer be restricted to the MAPxx format, instead allowing for any string of text.
  • Proper level transitions to connect the main zones as seen in Sonic 3 are planned to be implemented in a future release. A primitive form of these were previously present in v2.0, but were removed in v2.1 due to issues regarding netgames.
  • Emblems will receive a visual overhaul. They will rotate continuously and bob up and down, flapping their wings.
  • It is eventually planned to add a passive ability to the Whirlwind Shield, to match the other shields which have both an active and a passive ability.
  • The game's physics, especially involving air control, slopes, and acceleration, are planned to be significantly reworked, but nothing is set in stone yet.
  • Sonic's mid-air jump ability, which has been the thok ever since SRB2 Christmas, is planned to be replaced or redesigned entirely to allow for a more intuitive experience for beginner players.
(This is straight from the wiki and I do not claim it as my own.)

Other Things

Castle Eggman will get more revamped and have more things in the future.

Egg Rock will have a full blowover and no more look like 2.1. It will also get their Act 3.

Red Volcano will get the two acts missing.

Deep Sea is also getting a revamp.
Slight error here: The DCZ and GEZ maps you are thinking of weren't for 2.0.
They were for before even Demo 1. They are proof-of-concept maps for a very early version of SRB2, as confirmed by SSNTails and other sources.
AKA, they were made before Halloween or between it and Christmas.

Honest i dont think we will get GEZ. Dark city i can see being a 1-off-zone in 2.3 like current RVZ.

Also something that was mentioned but not much expansion on it, Sonics New Ability.

I have a feeling all maps will have to be tweaked for his ability. There was also mention of UDMF support for maps which COULD be implemented for vanilla maps.... though im unsure on that

Slight error here: The DCZ and GEZ maps you are thinking of weren't for 2.0.
They were for before even Demo 1. They are proof-of-concept maps for a very early version of SRB2, as confirmed by SSNTails and other sources.
AKA, they were made before Halloween or between it and Christmas.
Thanks for telling me the error!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back