Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. Version 2.3

guys i can't super mario become s Super mario from 🦸‍♂️🦸‍♂️🦸‍♂️🦸‍♂️

You need to crouch, jump, and making sure he's in the crouched position in midair you hit crouch again

Also please learn to formulate proper sentences before trying to speak in a public forum like srs

Um, I just wanna report a bug, on different map mods and even in vanilla, when I die or beat a boss as Luigi or Mario the game just turns off, it just crashes, right then and there, I hope this gets fixed in the next patch

Well.... Because of reasons,
I've spent 12 hours trying to figure this thing out. (Please send help)
Stated in the thread multiple times. But I listed the key to activate it in the opening post. Forgot to ever mention that the opening post got an update to list more information that got added. Included with the power up guide, it shows how you can go super. Jump while crouching then press the crouch button to go super.

yes i take super mario and luigi from

how:

sit down and jump + spin

!!!!!!!!! sit down don't do it power wall jump

Okay

Been playing Mario quite a lot lately, and I've got a few things rattling around the ol' noggin that I thought might be worth sharing (or at least, it was a few things before I started writing the post). Admittedly, the extend of my modding experience lies in Zandronum (Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch, to be precise), so I don't know exactly what SRB2 is capable of, but there's no harm in stirring up some discussion, I trust.
  • With the overalls and their unique coloration in mind, I wonder if it would at all be possible to toggle Mario's cap color as well. For instance, red cap and overalls with a blue shirt, classic style.
  • It would be wonderful to play as both Mario & Luigi at once, like Sonic & Tails. It's been suggested to death already, and one could argue their differences aren't substantial enough to justify it, but even waaay back in Sonic 2, Tails didn't do anything special--he was just along for the ride.
  • Reserve power-ups would be cool, and are something of a series staple besides. The Toss Flag button would probably be the ideal way to drop them. You could also use it to share power-ups in multiplayer!
  • Going off of those last two suggestions, perhaps reserve power-ups could be used to justify a Luigi bot? For instance, he'd use or hold whatever power-up you have in reserve, and you could trade them at any time.
  • For the special stages, it would be interesting to lean into the Super Mario Galaxy precedent set by Flying Mario. Rather than collecting spheres to bust open a capsule, maybe you're collecting star bits to feed a Hungry Luma? Or maybe just collecting purple coins? There's lots of possibilities.
On a different note, I recently played an Encore Mode netgame where Recycler Monitors were frequently going off and power-ups kept changing hands. That got me thinking about how they correspond to SRB2's shields, and how they stack up to each other. I'm gonna spoiler all of that nonsense because it's honestly probably too much, but I wanted to share my considerations anyway.
Here are my thoughts on the current power-up lineup after playing Mario a bunch.
  • Cape Mario, Metal Mario, and Balloon Mario are all magnificent. 10/10. Chef's kiss. Mwah.
  • Mini Mario's one-hit death irks me a little in this environment, but his mobility really can't be beat, so I'm willing to overlook it.
  • Ice Mario breathes underwater, but Fire Mario doesn't get anything special. That strikes me as kind of weird.
  • Gold Mario gets all the perks of Metal Mario, plus explosive fireballs and ring attraction? I love a good power trip, but that's egregiously strong. It's nuts.
  • Superball Mario is a cool novelty, but strange. He's far outclassed by the other flowers (appropriate, since it replaces the Pity Shield), but I'm, like, 90% sure he breathes underwater. Why...?
  • Kuribo's Shoe is an oddity. It's cool that it stacks with other power-ups, and you can dismount it and share with your fellow Marios and Luigis, but it also deprives you of certain abilities, and it's really inconsistent in so doing. You can't dive using spin or use your hammer, but you can still dive using your ground pound and grab ledges? Or something? I don't completely understand. Personally, I tend to avoid using this thing.
Wow! That's a lot of griping, but I have some solutions in mind. Here's what I would do if I had free reign to tinker with the mod as I saw fit:
  • The Whirlwind, Elemental, Armageddon, and Bubble Shields have excellent power-up counterparts as is. Wouldn't change a thing.
  • The Pity Shield protects against a single hit, and... not much else. I would introduce the Super Mushroom as its new counterpart. It would function similarly to the Life Mushroom from Super Mario Galaxy, increasing Mario's life meter (though probably only by one, in this case). This also means that Amy's hearts, rather than knocking Mario back into the Gameboy era, would simply bolster his HP, which is much more appropriate in my opinion.
  • The Force Shield protects against two hits and grants the ability to halt momentum in the air, making it a valuable platforming tool. It is for this reason that I would make the Mini Mushroom its new counterpart. The incredible mobility Mini Mario enjoys makes it comparably useful, though not in terms of survivability. Perhaps in exchange for a one-hit death, Mario could instead go unnoticed by common enemies? I don't know how feasible that is.
  • The Attraction Shield protects against electric damage, attracts rings, and provides its user with a homing spin attack. I would strip the Superball Flower of its (apparent) drowning immunity in exchange for electric immunity and lock-on superballs to make it a suitable new counterpart. If possible, I would also make the superballs capable of collecting coins on Mario's behalf.
  • The Flame Shield provides immunity to fire and lava, plus a flaming spin attack not unlike Sonic's thok. I would make the Fire Flower its new counterpart, and bolster it with the selfsame fire and lava immunity.
  • The Lightning Shield provides electric immunity and ring attraction, plus an extra midair jump. Though the Gold Flower is already its counterpart, I would dial its abilities back by keeping its explosive fireballs, magnetism, and shock immunity, but dropping its extra immunities and weight. Removing the clanky footsteps will help audibly communicate that Gold Mario isn't as durable as Metal Mario. This would also more closely align it with its functionality in New Super Mario Bros. 2.
  • These changes would unfortunately leave Kuribo's Shoe in limbo. With how much it deviates from the other power-ups, I feel it might be best reserved for another use case entirely, but what that could be is beyond my reckoning.
In the end, the power-up distribution would look something like this:
  • Attraction Shield -- Superball Flower
  • Force Shield -- Mini Mushroom
  • Armageddon Shield -- P-Balloon
  • Whirlwind Shield -- Cape Feather
  • Elemental Shield -- Metal Cap
  • Flame Shield -- Fire Flower
  • Bubble Shield -- Ice Flower
  • Lightning Shield -- Gold Flower
  • Pity Shield -- Super Mushroom
Boy, that really elongated the post, didn't it? I hope you'll forgive my self-indulgence. The bottom line is this: I love the mod, and I want it to be the best it can be, whether that means taking my musings into consideration or not.

Been playing Mario quite a lot lately, and I've got a few things rattling around the ol' noggin that I thought might be worth sharing (or at least, it was a few things before I started writing the post). Admittedly, the extend of my modding experience lies in Zandronum (Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch, to be precise), so I don't know exactly what SRB2 is capable of, but there's no harm in stirring up some discussion, I trust.
  • With the overalls and their unique coloration in mind, I wonder if it would at all be possible to toggle Mario's cap color as well. For instance, red cap and overalls with a blue shirt, classic style.
  • It would be wonderful to play as both Mario & Luigi at once, like Sonic & Tails. It's been suggested to death already, and one could argue their differences aren't substantial enough to justify it, but even waaay back in Sonic 2, Tails didn't do anything special--he was just along for the ride.
  • Reserve power-ups would be cool, and are something of a series staple besides. The Toss Flag button would probably be the ideal way to drop them. You could also use it to share power-ups in multiplayer!
  • Going off of those last two suggestions, perhaps reserve power-ups could be used to justify a Luigi bot? For instance, he'd use or hold whatever power-up you have in reserve, and you could trade them at any time.
  • For the special stages, it would be interesting to lean into the Super Mario Galaxy precedent set by Flying Mario. Rather than collecting spheres to bust open a capsule, maybe you're collecting star bits to feed a Hungry Luma? Or maybe just collecting purple coins? There's lots of possibilities.
On a different note, I recently played an Encore Mode netgame where Recycler Monitors were frequently going off and power-ups kept changing hands. That got me thinking about how they correspond to SRB2's shields, and how they stack up to each other. I'm gonna spoiler all of that nonsense because it's honestly probably too much, but I wanted to share my considerations anyway.
Here are my thoughts on the current power-up lineup after playing Mario a bunch.
  • Cape Mario, Metal Mario, and Balloon Mario are all magnificent. 10/10. Chef's kiss. Mwah.
  • Mini Mario's one-hit death irks me a little in this environment, but his mobility really can't be beat, so I'm willing to overlook it.
  • Ice Mario breathes underwater, but Fire Mario doesn't get anything special. That strikes me as kind of weird.
  • Gold Mario gets all the perks of Metal Mario, plus explosive fireballs and ring attraction? I love a good power trip, but that's egregiously strong. It's nuts.
  • Superball Mario is a cool novelty, but strange. He's far outclassed by the other flowers (appropriate, since it replaces the Pity Shield), but I'm, like, 90% sure he breathes underwater. Why...?
  • Kuribo's Shoe is an oddity. It's cool that it stacks with other power-ups, and you can dismount it and share with your fellow Marios and Luigis, but it also deprives you of certain abilities, and it's really inconsistent in so doing. You can't dive using spin or use your hammer, but you can still dive using your ground pound and grab ledges? Or something? I don't completely understand. Personally, I tend to avoid using this thing.
Wow! That's a lot of griping, but I have some solutions in mind. Here's what I would do if I had free reign to tinker with the mod as I saw fit:
  • The Whirlwind, Elemental, Armageddon, and Bubble Shields have excellent power-up counterparts as is. Wouldn't change a thing.
  • The Pity Shield protects against a single hit, and... not much else. I would introduce the Super Mushroom as its new counterpart. It would function similarly to the Life Mushroom from Super Mario Galaxy, increasing Mario's life meter (though probably only by one, in this case). This also means that Amy's hearts, rather than knocking Mario back into the Gameboy era, would simply bolster his HP, which is much more appropriate in my opinion.
  • The Force Shield protects against two hits and grants the ability to halt momentum in the air, making it a valuable platforming tool. It is for this reason that I would make the Mini Mushroom its new counterpart. The incredible mobility Mini Mario enjoys makes it comparably useful, though not in terms of survivability. Perhaps in exchange for a one-hit death, Mario could instead go unnoticed by common enemies? I don't know how feasible that is.
  • The Attraction Shield protects against electric damage, attracts rings, and provides its user with a homing spin attack. I would strip the Superball Flower of its (apparent) drowning immunity in exchange for electric immunity and lock-on superballs to make it a suitable new counterpart. If possible, I would also make the superballs capable of collecting coins on Mario's behalf.
  • The Flame Shield provides immunity to fire and lava, plus a flaming spin attack not unlike Sonic's thok. I would make the Fire Flower its new counterpart, and bolster it with the selfsame fire and lava immunity.
  • The Lightning Shield provides electric immunity and ring attraction, plus an extra midair jump. Though the Gold Flower is already its counterpart, I would dial its abilities back by keeping its explosive fireballs, magnetism, and shock immunity, but dropping its extra immunities and weight. Removing the clanky footsteps will help audibly communicate that Gold Mario isn't as durable as Metal Mario. This would also more closely align it with its functionality in New Super Mario Bros. 2.
  • These changes would unfortunately leave Kuribo's Shoe in limbo. With how much it deviates from the other power-ups, I feel it might be best reserved for another use case entirely, but what that could be is beyond my reckoning.
Boy, that really elongated the post, didn't it? I hope you'll forgive my self-indulgence. The bottom line is this: I love the mod, and I want it to be the best it can be, whether that means taking my musings into consideration or not.
Superball Mario breathes underwater because Super Mario Land didn't have an air meter.
oh uh also the superballs actually already DO collect coins on mario's behalf, funnily enough

Oh hey, what if, when Mario dies, you immediately switch it Luigi at a nearby checkpoint, or maybe a completely new special move like in the Mario and Luigi games

I think the powerup assignments take into account the availability of shields, like whether or not they're used in levels already. If the assignments were changed, you'd never get the fire flower in the vanilla levels, for example.

I think the powerup assignments take into account the availability of shields, like whether or not they're used in levels already. If the assignments were changed, you'd never get the fire flower in the vanilla levels, for example.
I figured as much. I wasn't sure how much it weighed in since SRB2 is brimming with community-created maps and all sorts of other mods that might affect power-up availability, but it makes a lot of sense. The Fire Flower is, like, the poster child of power-ups, after all.
Superball Mario breathes underwater because Super Mario Land didn't have an air meter.
oh uh also the superballs actually already DO collect coins on mario's behalf, funnily enough
This is true, but most of these power-ups are borrowed from games that don't have an air meter, either. I'm not sure what the distinction is.
The coin thing is really cool, though! Totally missed it. That's a big oof on my part.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back