Suggestions

Auto-Unpause setting.

In a netgame, after (x) number of minutes has passed with the game paused, the game automatically unpauses (from the host's end of course). The aim of this is to crush the possibility of servers getting stuck when a verified person pauses, then gets disconnected or something and the host is nowhere to be found to fix it. There are already means around this (set a password, ect.) but not everybody gets to use them in any situation.

The unpause time could be set in the Server Options menu or adjusted with the console command "autounpause #". 0 disables it. Also, if possible, the game should generate a notification when the unpause time is about to be reached.

How about a Unified SRB2 Identity for Saves, Online/Co-op game play. An Achievement system (With online Achievements. (A cool name: Accolades!) An in-game MP3/Music player, an in-game friends list or player ID invite system. Kill streak rewards???? Another thing to add is a Target practice range level. Just a few things off the top of my head! Hope you enjoy!!!

Last edited:
How about a Unified SRB2 Identity for Saves, Online/Co-op game play. An Achievement system (With online Achievements. (A cool name: Accolades!) An in-game MP3/Music player, an in-game friends list or player ID invite system. Kill streak rewards???? Another thing to add is a Target practice range level. Just a few things off the top of my head! Hope you enjoy!!!
I hate to be blunt but this is, at its core, the Doom engine, Not Xbox Live or Steam.

I hate to be blunt but this is, at its core, the Doom engine, Not Xbox Live or Steam.

Doesn't mean none of that is possible.
Saves could be done, achievements result in e-penis, friends list is doable, invite system is too.

The target practice range level wouldn't be hard either, but that probably won't happen.

Actually, cloud saves is something I hadn't considered, but it could be a pretty good idea...

I don't want to have cloud saves for the simplistic reason that our user base has a tendency to use things like "sonic" for their password and I really don't want to have SRB2 user accounts with any actual importance. The last thing I want to deal with around here is people "hacking" other people's accounts with horrible security and then having to sort out who actually owns the account.

Just store your saves on a flash drive if you want to play from multiple computers.

Isn't that what requiring a strong password for these things to be enabled are for? =P

God dammit Mystic, you and your cynical views, however accurate they may be. :3

Mystic, couldn't that also be done all over the internet?
Even this messageboard? >_>

Oh, didn't Cue once try to mod SRB2 to add an achievement system? (But quickly faded out..)

Mystic, couldn't that also be done all over the internet?
Even this messageboard? >_>

Oh, didn't Cue once try to mod SRB2 to add an achievement system? (But quickly faded out..)

Died due to e-peen issues.

Yes, it could be done anywhere, and to be honest that's what brute force protection was made for, so they would be declined from the server after so many attempts.

It DOES happen on this message board. This is why I know our users are stupid enough to set their password to "sonic". The difference is that in the worst case scenario on the forums, they lose their account to a free forum that they can easily replace.

With putting save data and other important stuff on the account, this opens up the problem that "hacking" the account could allow you to delete someone's save data or otherwise do nasty stuff to them, which is something far more damaging than simply losing a forum account.

With putting save data and other important stuff on the account, this opens up the problem that "hacking" the account could allow you to delete someone's save data or otherwise do nasty stuff to them, which is something far more damaging than simply losing a forum account.

That's why it's stored locally as well, and protections would be put in so that if the save/gamedata doesn't have the same or more progress than the local copy then the game warns the user before overwriting. Who the hell would actually upload a further completed save to a user's account...?

On the other hand, it would teach them about password security. =P

What would be cool to have is an option to have the game tell you if a server you join allot is being hosted (and then you press a certian button, like enter, to automatically exit your game and join the other one). Also, about the password security, maybe it could be required to have both letters and numbers in all passwords?

That's why it's stored locally as well, and protections would be put in so that if the save/gamedata doesn't have the same or more progress than the local copy then the game warns the user before overwriting. Who the hell would actually upload a further completed save to a user's account...?
No matter how idiot-proof you make it, someone will manage to fail at it.

On the other hand, it would teach them about password security. =P
Only after the damage is done and we have to deal with a whiny 9 year old for several days.

It really narrows down to the few idiots that are that insecure ruining it for the majority, personally I say it's their own fault, I know of no other community management that will actually protect the few who will do something stupid like have 'sonic' as their password by actually not implementing features that could benefit those who are intelligent enough to secure their accounts.

tl;dr their fault, not our problem really, whiny 9 year olds can whine all they like, we have an infraction button for it if they're overly irritating.

Basically, state their account is their responsibility and be done with, there's a lot of stuff that could be done but cannot for the same reason as this.

Well, in this case the annoyance outweighs the slight benefit we'd get, IMO. Of course, I don't tend to play SRB2 from a bunch of different computers, and when I do, I simply run it off a flash drive, so I have absolutely no need for cloud saving at all.

I just immediately see moronic YouTube users sitting around "hacking" other people's accounts for the lulz, and it generating massive amounts of drama that I really don't want to deal with.

Well, in this case the annoyance outweighs the slight benefit we'd get, IMO. Of course, I don't tend to play SRB2 from a bunch of different computers, and when I do, I simply run it off a flash drive, so I have absolutely no need for cloud saving at all.

Doesn't mean others don't, not to mention formats, etc. I've lost many a gamedata from a hard drive failure or related problem before now.

When you idiot-proof something, someone always makes a better idiot. Got something along the same lines from a T-shirt.

Would this bug have anything to do with why SRB2 can't render flats on Polyobjects?
No, that was deliberately turned off because the flats leaked to the ceiling and floor, making flats broken and useless, so they were made to only render sides.

An 'If' console command, which is an important, and famous thing in programing, and can be VERY useful for scripting!

Checks a specific variable and it's value, then if those are true, then the command writen next to it will be entered in like normal, otherwise the command is ignored!There are 2 types of methods the command can do:

If <variable> <value> <then command>
Basically, if a variable's current value matches the one writen in the command, then the command that is written after <value> will get prompted like normal (multiple commands seperated by ';' ) - Console friendly
If <variable> <value>
<then commands>
EndIf
This method will be recognized for those who program! This may sound complicated and not console-friendly, but...(dunno an actual excuse for this method :S ) What this does is you write in the If command like before BUT instead the <then commands> part being next to <value>, <then commands> will be given AFTER you activated If. So if your writen check is false, ALL the commands will do NOTHING until you type in EndIf (or End_If, cause console commands cannot have spaces), if true, then behaves like normal, but EndIf is still recommended!

Inb4walloftextinquotesandmebeingcomplexasusual

This is if "kick reasons" are in the game.
I saw it bold so I guess it is.

A quick kick reason list

First you make a list

1. You are lagging the server! Rejoin please.
2. Don't ignore what I said.
3. Don't act/be stupid.

then in the console

Code:
Kick 3 ^2
Player 3 was kicked (Don't ignore what I said.)
This way you don't have to write over then things you said for different people or just write a long text.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 13, Members: 0, Guests: 13)

Back