SRB2 With slopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many thing wrong with what you said.
First, SRB2 is built off Legacy.
Second, The Z-axis IS supported in Legacy, that's how we jump 'n stuff.
Third, well.. there isn't a third.

Digiku said:
"based off the original Doom"? True or not, I still laughed out loud with that one.
True enough. Sonic doesn't exactly use the BFG and the chainsaw on Robotnik... :P

That was my best guess, really. I haven't heard of the Doom Legacy engine, so it makes sense now. I sort of wondered why jumping was possible, without ZDoom and with Doom's un-jumpyness.

But Doom does support the Z axis, and gravity at that! Ever walk off a really tall platform into a pit of slime? You fall... And you are in the air while you fall. So obviously it supports more then just floor and ceiling heights and it doesn't stick you to the floor or anything, of course.

Jumping, in SRB2 at least, is as simple as setting the movement on the Z axis variable, which would normally be set to 0 and rapidly decreased by gravity while you fall, to a positive value, thrusting you upwards as though you were "falling" up for a moment, and then gravity takes control and pushes you back down as it would if you walked off a cliff or something. And playing the sound. You gotta play da sound. It aint a Sonic game if ya gots no jump sound.

And also, wasn't there a "flyaround" cheat which allowed you to fly up and down by walking forward and back?... idfly?... It was later changed to use the jump button instead, as walking upwards off the floor is rather annoying.

Doom has always supported Z-Axis emulation. You ARE able to jump in Doom, and it's actually required in the second level of Doom2. Also, explain to me how there is falling damage in Hexen if there is no Z-Axis :P

Jason the Echidna said:
But Doom does support the Z axis, and gravity at that! Ever walk off a really tall platform into a pit of slime? You fall... And you are in the air while you fall. So obviously it supports more then just floor and ceiling heights and it doesn't stick you to the floor or anything, of course.

Jumping, in SRB2 at least, is as simple as setting the movement on the Z axis variable, which would normally be set to 0 and rapidly decreased by gravity while you fall, to a positive value, thrusting you upwards as though you were "falling" up for a moment, and then gravity takes control and pushes you back down as it would if you walked off a cliff or something. And playing the sound. You gotta play da sound. It aint a Sonic game if ya gots no jump sound.

And also, wasn't there a "flyaround" cheat which allowed you to fly up and down by walking forward and back?... idfly?... It was later changed to use the jump button instead, as walking upwards off the floor is rather annoying.

Actually doom DOESN'T support true Z Axis, ever try walking over a monster? You can't, it will block you even if you're at the top of the level and the monster is at the bottom. Falling off ledges is just gravity and checking if the user is # of units above where the next sectors ground is .. still not true Z Axis.

There was no fly around cheat in Doom, you're thinking of Quake and it was just "fly" in console; there was never any "idfly" .. ever.

furyhunter600 said:
Doom has always supported Z-Axis emulation. You ARE able to jump in Doom, and it's actually required in the second level of Doom2. Also, explain to me how there is falling damage in Hexen if there is no Z-Axis :P

Hexen was a modified Doom engine, there is Z-Axis in that I'm pretty sure.
Also every time the user is not on ground level it just sets a "ON GROUND" boolean flag to yes or no and times how long it lasted, simple falling damage.. no true Z-Axis is needed.

You don't jump in Doom, you fall. That's gravity, not jumping and still doesn't need a proper true Z-Axis to be done, just simple value checking on the users position will do..

in conslusion, yes Doom DOES have a Z axis .. but it's not a real truly done Z axis.

RenegadeC said:
Actually doom DOESN'T support true Z Axis.

I thought I said "Z-Axis emulation."

I have jumped in Doom before, check through the control setup in the original DOOM2.EXE. You should find it in there.

On the dark side of this post, RenegadeC, remember that your not supposed to double post. Use the "topic review" when posting a message to quote more than one person.

There is no jump button in DOOM 2. Period. In fact, I can only think of a few places in MAP02 that would remotely qualify as "jumping", and that's just running across a gap really, really fast. You never jump, you just clear the gap fast enough that you don't fall very far.

The only reason you can't jump over things in Doom is because they're missing a "height" variable and the collusion stuff doesn't check for height. Also, HEXEN WAS FRIGGIN GODLY COMPARED TO DOOM and due to this has been ported to many other systems, including the N64 and the Nintendo DS, though understandably, most of the ports were unofficial.

Update. I just got a great idea on how to use this. 2 words. Sonic Golf.

Sonic Golf? You mean that big secret set of maps Graue made that you were supposed to be able to unlock by beating Ultimate mode which forced you to move by spindashing and made you bounce off walls rather then slide and such? The thing the blue spring was invented for in the first place?

I remember playing one of those maps with a blue spring in it..

Man, that map was impossible!

Shuf, I did what you said, but it's not showing up. I'm just using the OpenGL bat, is that the problem? Or is there something I need to do to the configuration?

The slope won't show up. I did what I was supposed to in DB, and tested it in OGL, but no slope. Do I need to do something more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back