SRB2 With slopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hotdog003 said:
No, you just get invisible slopes. :P
They may be a viable option to make normal stairs look better, since they will work in opengl without crashing the game when running in software mode.

GB250 said:
hotdog003 said:
No, you just get invisible slopes. :P
They may be a viable option to make normal stairs look better, since they will work in opengl without crashing the game when running in software mode.
Nope, they don't work like that, I don't think you can put them over a set of stairs.

Yes, even if you could use them for decor or even if they were tangible, they'd still lag like a bitch, thus being removed anyways..
Yeah..
Slopes suck *runs*

I'm not sure why they would lag so much, anyway. I mean, isn't it just simply tossing in one or two extra polygons, anyway? OpenGL could handle that easily in any other engine...

Or some brave soul could try a port to GZDOOM... apparently it has Legacy-style FOFs, and being based off of ZDOOM, it, naturally, has slopes, too.

Shadow Hog said:
I'm not sure why they would lag so much, anyway. I mean, isn't it just simply tossing in one or two extra polygons, anyway? OpenGL could handle that easily in any other engine...
Nope, it has to do some kind of crazy loop to make a slope, which slows down other stuffs.

I can understand it in raycasting rendering, but slopes are only working in OpenGL, which uses polygons instead of render like a raycasting engine... Who made that code?

Wait... Is it because the quantity of walls isn't the same always, and the loop is for calculate the morph of the polygons? Anyways, that's supposed to be done at the beginning of the level... Unless it's redone each frame :?

Sik said:
I can understand it in raycasting rendering, but slopes are only working in OpenGL, which uses polygons instead of render like a raycasting engine... Who made that code?

Wait... Is it because the quantity of walls isn't the same always, and the loop is for calculate the morph of the polygons? Anyways, that's supposed to be done at the beginning of the level... Unless it's redone each frame :?
Dunno.. nobody knows..

..'cept JTE, let's ask him!

It's redone each frame, w00t!

Yeah, i always thought the hardware renderer was kind of set up pretty weird, and it isn't set up to easily add Y heights to floor polygons.

SSNTails said:
Yeah, i always thought the hardware renderer was kind of set up pretty weird, and it isn't set up to easily add Y heights to floor polygons.
Isn't easier replace that code with one that simply adds an extra polygon which is sloped??? (the floor will stay hidden under it and nobody will be able to see it, then)

No, because everything is sorted and packaged a certain way to be sent to the video card.

SSNTails made a wonderful attempt, at the very least. I would be well in the process of porting SRB2 to ZDoom and would easily be able to port my work to any other ZDoom-based engine like GZDoom if it weren't for the one problem I've been having, the inability to compile a working ZDoom exe... ... ... Blah... Will this roadblock be here forever?

Just never got around to it. I didn't even finish the displaying of them.

Roboashura said:
Play the original Doom. Ever noticed that you can't aim up or down, jump, or go up a slope? That's be cause there weren't any slopes, because the original Doom engine diddn't support the Z axis at all. Hence the name "ZDoom," a mod of the game that puts in that Z axis, making it more like a modern shooter.

Since SRB2 is based off the original Doom... I think that's why slopes won't work right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back