SRB2 Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draykon said:
It's not the name that matters, it's the engine.
The 3D Zelda engine, was used to create Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Most other Zelda games were created with the 2D Zelda engine, Links Crossbow Training was an original engine.

Iestyn, everything, as currently the only gateway to Wii homebrew is a glitch in the 3D Zelda Engine.
OMGWTFNO.

If I recall correctly. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask actually used a very heavily modified version of the Super Mario 64 graphics engine.

Wind Waker's engine was a whole new one, which was then modified for use in Twilight Princess, and I think they might've used that engine for Crossbow Training too.

Do you honestly think they could have gotten Windwaker's and Twilight Princess's high polygon models, 480p support, cel-shading and even more massive draw-distances on the Zelda 64 engine?

This entire post can be backed up with Wikipedia articles, too. C'ept the Crossbow Training thing.

ShadowHog said:
Anyway, yeah, this is getting way off point. It only works with the Wii version of Twilight Princess. End of that side-discussion.

I have a prgoram to convert C programs to VB .net. I also have a program that converts VB .net to a web page. The Wii has a web browser.

Put 2 and 2 together.

Do you know how SRB2 will fail when converted to a web page? I'm quite sure it's either a Java applet embedded into a page (which would run slooooow) or something which is Explorer-only (and hence the Wii wouldn't be able to run).

No, basically, it's a PHP script that actually reads from the program and finds out what to display from it. No converting is actually done. Although, it still might not work.

Try it. I gurantee it'll fail once you convert it to VB.

It's like translating something from French to Japanese to English. There WILL be errors.

That is the most outrageous thing I've seen suggested on these forums in years. There's not even the slightest chance you'd get SRB2 working that way. If it were that easy, nobody would have to port anything ever. Converting code from one language to another is NOT a substitute for having a competent programmer properly port the code.

When you come to think on it, when you convert the C code a language other than C++, definitely it'll fail as you convert SRB2 but you don't convert the libraries it uses :P Mmmmmmh, does the Wii browser support Java or Flash? Because somebody could make a wrapper, where it runs the program in the server, displays the screen, recieves input and retrieves it to the program.

There's a problem through: LAG. And double as normal, because you have to send and recieve to see what you do, normally it's enough with just sending to know what you're doing. Also entire screens take a lot to be sent even compressed, over one second a lot of times, completely making all this useless.

Considering the lag issue, I'm afraid the only way it would be possible to run SRB2 on Wii through a browser would be making it from scratch in Flash. Even yet, you wouldn't be able to load your custom WADs as Flash can't handle files (for security reasons, I guess), so you'll have to stick with built-in maps.

Flash was also never designed for games in the first place. Flash is designed for animations and such. Shockwave however is designed for games in mind. However, it seems that people do not understand this concept anymore and use the wrong program for doing the job.

Remote desktop is piss slow. Trust me. It was never designed for anything other than doing simple stuff. Playing a game via remote desktop is not a good idea.

Sonict said:
Flash was also never designed for games in the first place. Flash is designed for animations and such. Shockwave however is designed for games in mind. However, it seems that people do not understand this concept anymore and use the wrong program for doing the job.
I thought they were the same :/

Anyways, remote desktop was made for cases of emergency, letting somebody else on the network help you with the settings to fix up problems. It was never made to run applications in fact. Not to mention it's extremely unsecure (in fact if you have Hamachi and you don't change the settings, remote desktop will be disabled).

You could possibly do a dedicated server in PHP, since all it would require is managing connections and such, but not an entire game...

The only way SRB2 can go on the Wii is if it turned into a Wii-Ware game, which is not going to happen. and if you are asking about Cue's *rather cool* sig is that Cue got the picture of the SRB2 title screen, put it on an SD card and posted it to the Wii menue, that picture is now the photo channel Icon. so if you see an picture like that, it is a hoax...

No, like I said, the only way SRB2 can come to the Wii is via homebrew - but that would require a dedicated coder to handle all the necessary porting issues. In short, it'll never happen.

If done, I've got single-player control suggestions:

Turn Wiimote Sideways
D-Pad - Move+Strafe
2 Button - Jump
1 Button - Spin
Tilt Wiimote left/right - Turn
Thrust forward - Thok
Shake up and down - Fly
Thrust and hold steady - Glide
Turn (90degrees) steadily - Climb

Eh. Personally I'd plug in the nunchuk and prolly control it like I do the PC version (WASD & mouselook - in this case, the analog stick and Wiimote, respectively), or otherwise use analog mode...

You could always just customize controls like in SSBB, though, that's just how I would play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back