[Open Assets] [SRB2 Riders] D00D Kart 64 - Mario Kart Level Pack!

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact, Race mode is being dropped from SRB2official for this very same reason (or this reason is one such factor, anyway).
Race mode is not being dropped from SRB2 official. It's being dropped from the OLDC. Also, this is not the reason for it. If it was, it would be easily fixed by making Sonic the only character available in that gametype.

I've got everything here, and for some reason when I try to load the mine file, it tells me "R_LoadTextures: Missing patch in texture BALLBRD"

Does anyone know why this is? (I've tried with loading all of the music files and without loading the music files by the way)
This error usually happens when you load up 2.0 stages with custiom textures in 1.09.4 and vice versa. Are you sure you used the right EXE?

By that logic, every person should play as Sonic in any mode, as he was the only character originally intended for SRB2.

Or, take it this way. No characters were intended for any of the multiplayer game modes, so why should they have such a disadvantage? Saying what you said would be like saying "Tails and Knuckles aren't meant for Capture the Flag so they shouldn't be able to capture the flag", or "Tails and Knuckles weren't intended to have super modes so let's not give them the ability to go super in Match even if they get all 7 emeralds".
But see, Sonic is not the only character originally intended for SRB2. Tails and Knuckles are meant for Capture the Flag as much as Sonic is. Tails and Knuckles are intended to have super forms in Match.

Last edited:
And with kart mode, they don't even have said flashy cool abilities. They are a mechanically BAD character, favoritism or not. And they will remain as such until sourceSRB2Riders updates and fixes this problem by having them all an equal speed -- meaning, therefore, I've absolutely no reason to fix the problem when there WON'T BE A PROBLEM in the future.

Just because flying and power types are slightly slower than the other characters doesn't mean they're mechanically bad. They have other characteristics other than speed that you seem to be overlooking. For instance, flying types charge their boost faster than speed types, who do it the slowest (At least, I think so). Speed types are meant for mostly just speed; OTHER than that, they're kind of hard to control, harder to stop, and other things. If you're really good, a speed type will be a good character for you to choose. IF you want to.
When people start racing in Thunder Piston as characters who aren't speed types (and possibly power types. Didn't test them out) and find out that they just keep falling, they'll probably just want to switch maps. What I'm saying is that players should be able to enjoy all the maps, no matter who they play as. Of course, you don't have to fix it if you don't want to.

Maybe turbo boost length or how long to get to full charge depending on type?

Fly:long
Power:normal
Speed:short
Like I said before, I think Flying types charge their drift boost faster, if that's what you're talking about.

Last edited:
This error usually happens when you load up 2.0 stages with custiom textures in 1.09.4 and vice versa. Are you sure you used the right EXE?

By this are you referring to me using the correct srb2 version? If this was meant for 2.0 then I would assume I'm using it for the right version? Because I didn't use these wads for the 1.09.4 version because I assumed (seeing as this is "fairly new" I thought it was for 2.0)

Just because flying and power types are slightly slower than the other characters doesn't mean they're mechanically bad. They have other characteristics other than speed that you seem to be overlooking.

That's just it: they LITERALLY don't in Kart mode. CZ64 overlooked something, so while accelstart is different (but useless), actual acceleration is unchanged. This "easier to control" bullcrap is like saying "Thanks to this gunshot wound, I no longer have to worry about my modeling career." The only difference that actually played a part for longer than literally under a quarter of a second is the top speed stat. Flyers turn the same, accelerate almost exactly the same, and drift the same, so the lack of speed ensures they almost never win because it is a handicap and nothing more. They have NOTHING to put them up against the speed types, aside from the fraction of a fraction of a second quicker acceleration time.

However, I'll see about patching the bug anyway, since CZ64 will eventually add the acceleration differences, so fly types will need to be able to cross stuff with their low speed anyway.

However, I'll see about patching the bug anyway, since CZ64 will eventually add the acceleration differences, so fly types will need to be able to cross stuff with their low speed anyway.
So eventually CZ64 will make their handling better overall later, right? If that's the case, my argument will stand when that happens.
But I don't think it matters now that Thunder Piston is fixed. =p

So eventually CZ64 will make their handling better overall later, right? If that's the case, my argument will stand when that happens.

Heck if I know, mot likely just accel fixing and maybe better offroading if anything. Any "handling" improvements are just fake enhancements from not going as fast, and drifting is bizarre as it is (just TRY drifting offroad or underwater) so I don't know if lightweights will get ehnahcements there.

That's just it: they LITERALLY don't in Kart mode. CZ64 overlooked something, so while accelstart is different (but useless), actual acceleration is unchanged.

And it's because of this unchanged acceleration that in comparison to the Speed types; the slower characters only briefly hit the top speed from a regular/full drift boost. It's worse with fly types though, as on a regular drift boost, they NEVER hit the top speed of the boost.

Edit: Actually, the fly types merely touch the top speed of a regular drift boost, but at times it tends to fall short of it.

So eventually CZ64 will make their handling better overall later, right?

Well I hope so! At the moment, the difference in handling between the characters isn't that great, which makes it difficult to create kart levels that challenge the Speed type characters in that field, but at the same time; are an absolute breeze for the slower characters. I would know; I've lately been working on such a level myself, in hope of giving a little more encouragement to the use of the slower characters.

Last edited:
I'm loading it up with Srb2. Should I be loading it up with Srb2 Riders?
Of course you should be loading it up with SRB2 Riders. Can't you see that the topic title has [SRB2 Riders] in it? I'm pretty sure that's a good hint that you should be using SRB2 Riders with it.

I'm loading it up with Srb2. Should I be loading it up with Srb2 Riders?

4vV32.png

Gee, I don't know, what do YOU think?

Question.

D00D, do you know how to make your own music for some of these tracks? I 'm noticing there are several music lumps missing.

D00D, do you know how to make your own music for some of these tracks? I 'm noticing there are several music lumps missing.

8gDhr.png

reading is so haaaaard

Though, I'll go edit the post to say how you can easily load in both files with "loadup", since servers don't autoload music wads.

8gDhr.png

reading is so haaaaard

Though, I'll go edit the post to say how you can easily load in both files with "loadup", since servers don't autoload music wads.

One problem...... when I did type "loadup" into the console, one file couldn't be executed. The name of the file was k_dk64l.txt. I think there's still something wrong.

Edit: Oops. I ignored the exec [filename] for .txt files. Either that, or I'm missing a file.

Last edited:
When playing as a flying type at Thunder Piston, you will eventually reach a part with a whole lot of springs that help the player jump over death pits, most of which flying types are too slow to clear. So, they'll keep falling.
It starts here:
scaled.php

And is very problematic here:
srb20116j.png

Just in case you don't already know...

Yeah, that is a problem. But for Fly Type racers, it might be possible to clear those jumps if you use an item that increases your speed, such as a Mushroom or Star, or to pick up enough speed to make the jump(On one checkpoint on Thunder Piston Zone(The one close to the second Blue Spring Jump), you'll want to press Accelerate(Jump) immediately when you land on the track to get a Recovery Boost(For those not sure what it is, it's a kind of speed boost.) to clear both the Blue Spring and the Yellow Spring Jump(This may not work on the Spring Jump on the second picture in the quote.).). The other possible solution is to replace those problematic Springs with Red Springs.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Yes, you need to grab the textfile too. Its also right there.

I got the file k_DK64L, and it works fine except for the command "TUNEUP".

Last edited:
But for Fly Type racers, it might be possible to clear those jumps if you use an item that increases your speed, such as a Mushroom or Star, or to pick up enough speed to make the jump(On one checkpoint on Thunder Piston Zone(The one close to the second Blue Spring Jump), you'll want to press Accelerate(Jump) immediately when you land on the track to get a Recovery Boost(For those not sure what it is, it's a kind of speed boost.) to clear both the Blue Spring and the Yellow Spring Jump.).
The problem with that being that you can't actually determine whether you'll get any of the speed-enhancing items, before reaching that point. A player shouldn't have to rely on luck of any sort to enable them to complete a course; nor should they have to die, in order to get the recovery boost required to do so.

The other possible solution is to replace those problematic Springs with Red Springs.
Replacing them with red springs( which are a lot more powerful than yellow springs) wouldn't be a good idea, as that'll most likely launch players past the landing area and would require the level to be edited a lot more; should that be the case. It'd be much easier to just lengthen the landing areas, so they're a little closer to the springs that launch a player there.

The problem with that being that you can't actually determine whether you'll get any of the speed-enhancing items, before reaching that point. A player shouldn't have to rely on luck of any sort to enable them to complete a course; nor should they have to die, in order to get the recovery boost required to do so.

Replacing them with red springs( which are a lot more powerful than yellow springs) wouldn't be a good idea, as that'll most likely launch players past the landing area and would require the level to be edited a lot more; should that be the case. It'd be much easier to just lengthen the landing areas, so they're a little closer to the springs that launch a player there.
OMG This.
I hope I got this point across too, 'cause I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back