Sonic Unleashed

PPS: We're just talking about the PS360/HD version here right? How was the PS2/Wii one (nicknamed Unwiished by some)?
The Wii game was pretty good. Some call it better than 360.

PS: Sega should really do a boost game that is the same as Unleashed, no gimmick (the Wisps in Colors were fun but they overstayed their welcome), no short levels, no challenges/missions to get to the boss and finally no stages that are in 2.5D or in a 3-lanes autorun section for more than half of it.
I agree with this. Despite the fact that there likely isn’t going to be another Boost game, that would be a really good idea on Sega’s part. Maybe they could even put those mechanics in a more open world situation to ensure that there isn’t any 2D or autorun sections

Well i played the Wii Version and all that i can say is:

I didn't suffer so much on eggmanland. Btw i gonna try to get 100%

Honestly, I'd like to try the HD version as much as I don't want to do the night stages again (were they less bad in the HD version?).

I would point out that the Werehog's arm extension is literally working like Ristar's platforming (as if Sega wanted to make a 3D Ristar game at some point).

Honestly, I'd like to try the HD version as much as I don't want to do the night stages again (were they less bad in the HD version?).

I would point out that the Werehog's arm extension is literally working like Ristar's platforming (as if Sega wanted to make a 3D Ristar game at some point).
The HD Night Stages were great. MUCH better than the kinda clunky SD stages.

The HD Night Stages were great. MUCH better than the kinda clunky SD stages.
I assume that the combo system was improved as well.

But I still don't get why they tried to include RPG elements in both the night and day gameplay.

Wii version is obnoxious and the fact that critics generally rated it higher than the 360 version still perplexes me. The controls are absurdly stiff in both gameplay styles, and from everything I've seen the Wii version waters down a lot of the features and level variety present in the 360 version. I respect that the campaign progression system is pretty garbage in 360 and there are bad framedrops, but at the very least there must be something more compelling underneath that.

The other major problem with this game is its central premise of forcing the player to switch between different styles of gameplay constantly. I don't understand why Sonic games keep doing this. It started with Sonic Adventure 2 and it's never stopped, and it feels like I'm trying to juggle two or three different game modes at once. Nevermind the extra dev workload that comes from designing an extra set of core mechanics and level gimmicks to compliment them; if it has to be in the game, maybe make it a completely separate side gig and... I dunno, replace werehog with Chaos 0? Take the Sonic Adventure 1 route and split them into different stories. We could be having different conversations about mainline Sonic games if SEGA's design philosophy wasn't to forcefeed its player three different entrées at the same time.

The other major problem with this game is its central premise of forcing the player to switch between different styles of gameplay constantly. I don't understand why Sonic games keep doing this. It started with Sonic Adventure 2 and it's never stopped, and it feels like I'm trying to juggle two or three different game modes at once. Take the Sonic Adventure 1 route and split them into different stories. We could be having different conversations about mainline Sonic games if SEGA's design philosophy wasn't to forcefeed its player three different entrées at the same time.
Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Generations, and Sonic Forces all did this to different degrees, but it's not as much of a trend when you consider that since Adventure 2 did it, Sonic Advance, Advance 2, Battle, Advance 3, Rush, Rush Adventure (Minus the vehicle sections), Secret Rings, Black Knight, Sonic 4, Colors, Lost World, and Mania all didn't do it much if at all.

That having been said though, I do think Adventure 2, 06, Unleashed, Generations, and Forces all would have benefitted greatly from splitting off into different story modes with their own completion on the save file rather than juggling back and forth between characters/gameplay styles. Even Adventure 2 could still have done the whole Hero and Dark thing by splitting it into two different SA1 style character select wheels, each having their own overall completion based on completing the individual character stories. It's something that's always been a nitpick of mine as well, as if I feel like playing as one character I don't want to be forced to play as someone else.

Wii version is obnoxious and the fact that critics generally rated it higher than the 360 version still perplexes me.
Honestly, I was one of those people, until I played HD recently. Personally, some aspects of Wii are still better, like the completion.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back