Sonic Unleashed

That's false. Majority opinion (Assuming it even was a majority to begin with, who's to say when it comes to the internet who is truly a majority and which opinion is just louder) does not equate to fact. If someone likes any game more than any other game, their opinion is valid.

You are not forced to fish or hunt for treasure in Sonic Adventure. These gameplay styles are character specific, and are only required if you intend on unlocking the completely optional final story. You can easily just sit down and do a Sonic only playthrough, or only play as Sonic and Tails, etc. and you will never have to play any gameplay style you don't want to aside from maybe the Sky Chase levels, which if you're going to hold that against Sonic Adventure then you'd have to hold it against Sonic 2 and Sonic Mania as well.
No, Super Sonic's story is mandatory to finish the game.

By this logic, we should have Sonic put greater emphasis on platforming and collecting Power Stars because SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and Odyssey are considered superior games when compared to most 3D platformers

See the flaw in your logic yet?
Well, Mario 64 is surely the best 3D platformer game ever made and I guess that Robo Blast 2 is the closest game to it because it features more open levels and emblems to collect.

No, Super Sonic's story is mandatory to finish the game.

Well, Mario 64 is surely the best 3D platformer game ever made and I guess that Robo Blast 2 is the closest game to it because it features more open levels and emblems to collect.
You absolutely missed the point we were making. Time Gear said you need to complete every gameplay style to make it to the Final Story, which includes Super Sonic as a reward.

You were also referring to making official Sonic games closer to Classic games in how they handle gameplay styles because the “Classic games are superior” and I countered saying that, with your logic, because Mario’s 3D ventures have been well received, the 3D Sonic games should just stop what they’re doing and basically be Super Mario ripoffs, which is obviously a bad choice

I honestly tend to give Super Sonic in SA1 a pass because the storyline is basically endgame material, and there isn't much content locked behind it gameplay-wise. It's still miles more preferable to how SA2 handled storylines.
By this logic, we should have Sonic put greater emphasis on platforming and collecting Power Stars because SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and Odyssey are considered superior games when compared to most 3D platformers

See the flaw in your logic yet?
I dunno, that actually doesn't sound half bad lol.

Just make the platforming challenges more Sonic-like in nature and turn the Power Stars into emerald-related mcguffins and you're probably halfway there into making an interesting 3D Sonic outing.

I honestly tend to give Super Sonic in SA1 a pass because the storyline is basically endgame material, and there isn't much content locked behind it gameplay-wise. It's still miles more preferable to how SA2 handled storylines.

I dunno, that actually doesn't sound half bad lol.

Just make the platforming challenges more Sonic-like in nature and turn the Power Stars into emerald-related mcguffins and you're probably halfway there into making an interesting 3D Sonic outing.
Oh yeah I'd absolutely love to see a Sonic collectathon. It's just that saying you should change the way an entire genre of a franchise handles something because something else did it in a different way isn't always the right idea.

Sonic Collectathon already exists. SA1 and SA2 style Treasure Hunt stages.
Those were highly criticized by many reviewers.

I may add that one of the reason why Sonic Colors was one of the most appreciated Modern Sonic game was the fact you could get into water without falling and losing a live and the fact you could get Super Sonic in the regular stages (which was the first time since Sonic 3&K).

You shouldn’t be using game reviews as a basis for your argument. The reviewers at places like IGN don’t know how to play games and make a report on it

You shouldn’t be using game reviews as a basis for your argument. The reviewers at places like IGN don’t know how to play games and make a report on it
He wasn't specifically mentioning IGN, hell, he probably wasn't even thinking about IGN!

Why is everyone talking about IGN as if they were the only mainstream videogame journalists in the world?

They were the one who gave Pocket Adventure a 10 but it's not the point.

As for the Emerald hunting, just make normal levels for Knuckles and have the emerald shards as collectibles like the Emblems/Medals/Red Rings.

Why is everyone talking about IGN as if they were the only mainstream videogame journalists in the world?

They were the one who gave Pocket Adventure a 10 but it's not the point.

As for the Emerald hunting, just make normal levels for Knuckles and have the emerald shards as collectibles like the Emblems/Medals/Red Rings.
I was referring to gaming journalists as a whole

Just as there's no such thing as a perfect game, there's no such thing as a perfect critic. Mainstream "Professional" game reviewers review games as their job. As such, they tend to rush through them, and play a vast number of them. Aside from any inherent biases for or against a franchise they might already have, it's easy for them to get burned out and not give a game much of a fair shot unless it's something truly special, and that's not even to get into the situations in which they get paid off to give a good review.

Youtubers and the like aren't really much better though. Even when their presentation is professional, they still have their own biases as well, regardless of how fair they try to be. It's simply a consequence of being human.

As such, any criticism towards a game is to be taken with a giant grain of salt. Different people have different standards, tastes, and biases. The only person who can truly decide for you how much you enjoy a game is you yourself. Criticism can't be a reliable metric for how good a game is because such things are inherently subjective. In that sense, there's no such thing as an objectively "good" or "bad" game, regardless of how many people agree otherwise. No matter how many people agree that a game is awful, there can always be that one person who sees through the flaws and manages to find a glimmer of worth and fun. No matter how many people agree that a game is the best thing ever, there can always be that one person who simply just doesn't get it and can't relate at all, finding no enjoyment out of playing it. Such opinions are equally valid, and cannot be "wrong".

In relation to the topic at hand, my point is that regardless of how much more popular any particular game in a series is than another, whether that be among critics or otherwise, anyone is valid in their feeling that certain aspects from less popular games have potential to be put to good use in the future. Even Sonic 06 had some good ideas going on that are worth giving a second chance, such as the mechanic of having certain sections of the levels transition you into playing as a different character. Though, I do think if that were to return, it should be relegated to optional pathways so as to never be forced on the player.

Just as there's no such thing as a perfect game, there's no such thing as a perfect critic. Mainstream "Professional" game reviewers review games as their job. As such, they tend to rush through them, and play a vast number of them. Aside from any inherent biases for or against a franchise they might already have, it's easy for them to get burned out and not give a game much of a fair shot unless it's something truly special, and that's not even to get into the situations in which they get paid off to give a good review.

Youtubers and the like aren't really much better though. Even when their presentation is professional, they still have their own biases as well, regardless of how fair they try to be. It's simply a consequence of being human.

As such, any criticism towards a game is to be taken with a giant grain of salt. Different people have different standards, tastes, and biases. The only person who can truly decide for you how much you enjoy a game is you yourself. Criticism can't be a reliable metric for how good a game is because such things are inherently subjective. In that sense, there's no such thing as an objectively "good" or "bad" game, regardless of how many people agree otherwise. No matter how many people agree that a game is awful, there can always be that one person who sees through the flaws and manages to find a glimmer of worth and fun. No matter how many people agree that a game is the best thing ever, there can always be that one person who simply just doesn't get it and can't relate at all, finding no enjoyment out of playing it. Such opinions are equally valid, and cannot be "wrong".

In relation to the topic at hand, my point is that regardless of how much more popular any particular game in a series is than another, whether that be among critics or otherwise, anyone is valid in their feeling that certain aspects from less popular games have potential to be put to good use in the future. Even Sonic 06 had some good ideas going on that are worth giving a second chance, such as the mechanic of having certain sections of the levels transition you into playing as a different character. Though, I do think if that were to return, it should be relegated to optional pathways so as to never be forced on the player.
Couldn't have been said better

One detail I still love about the game was the Night theme intros

I think there was a video of the night stage without the Jazz theme (it should be reserved for ambushes not all battles).

Also the E rank theme is probably one of the best idea Sega had in years

One detail I still love about the game was the Night theme intros

I think there was a video of the night stage without the Jazz theme (it should be reserved for ambushes not all battles).

Also the E rank theme is probably one of the best idea Sega had in years
The night intros actually sound nice

And yeah the E rank was a smart idea

i cant play dolphin since my phone isnt 64 bit and my school computer says there is a dll missing but i saw gameplay of it and it looks cool

Good game. I do have some complaints, like the lag, and the fact that the cut scenes are rendered in real-time on the X360/PS3 version, and the frame DROPS in the town areas. Not the best game in the world, but it's alright. The X1SX can play the game outstandingly with almost zero lag. X360/PS3 Versions: 6/10, would recommend, only if you play it on the X1SX. WII/PS2 Versions: 8/10, would definitely recommend.

In my opinion I think it is a good game, nothing else is not the best or one of the best sonic games

my problem is primarily the story since I weigh two of the worst trends in the franchise to turn eggman into a comic relief that no one fears or respects and turn my Favourite character tails into a coward who contributes little to the plot

As for the gameplay of the day sonic, I'm not a fan of the boost, it has never caught my attention, it's even more, I've even enjoyed some night stages more than the daytime stages, but they're fine.

As for the gameplay of the night sonic, I like it, it has very good combos and the challenge is balanced, the only thing that bothers me is the number of stages it has and the duration of these since it takes almost most of the game.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back