Sonic CD

Chimes

the typo fixer
BACKSTORY: Since the last time anyone tried making a thread ended with one of the dumbest reasons and justifications ever, I feel that after almost 28 years this little curiosity in Sonic's line of games deserves some needed discussion rather than be shut down.

AH YES, Sonic CD. Originally one of the most overlooked Sonic games due to its infamous unavailability outside of ancient PCs and two tempermental consoles until Taxman and Stealth saved the day, this game has been one of my favourites in the early 90s period of Sonic for just how out-there and unique it is compared to the rest of the Sonic games during 1991 - 1995.

Unlike any of the main Sonic games, Sonic CD is more or less a exploration-based platformer where it's searching first, speeding second. I have had lots of fun exploring many of these stages and speeding across the lands after I'm done (except Wacky Workbench), and the music, gameplay, and visuals are rather DAMN good for the early 90's period of Sonic. While I do have my gripes with the game, it's still one of my favourites after all these years.

The intro and ending FMVs are fucking amazing. That's all I have to say.

Looking around on the internet however, this game has surprisingly proven to be divisive among so many people, even around my friends.
In a forum about a game that can be tweaked to address issues rather than just dealing with it, I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on Sonic CD!

discuss.

I...Didn't liked the game when i played it because i was going to a more "original" Sonic thingy (Not that much exploration and LOTS of Speed) But then i looked some gameplay again after some years, and i understood

If you you with the mentality that this is just another Classic 2D Game then you are not gonna enjoy it that much, see it like an fast exploration level where you have to find those things to get a good future, and you are gonna enjoy it alot more

i give it a... 8.5/10? Probably 9, its a Really great game!

Personally I really like sonic cd the level design is very open and I like it and Metallic Madness is my favorite final zone of the classics

the only thing that bothers me is the Time Stones seriously those Special Stages are really annoying but at least you can get the good ending without the need to cross them if you destroy all the capsules. and Metal Sonic holograms which is a good

and also the American soundtrack I think it would be better if it was in a horror game

but that is all the bad that I can find really is a very good game and one of my favorite Classic games.

Somehow, I forgot to mention the American and Japanese versions having different music! Yeah, much of the US soundtrack would benefit if it were in a different game (or even better, if it was in a album instead). They sound really good on their own, but in Sonic CD? ...eh. They don't fit well in-game, and in Stardust Speedway you literally have to wait around to fully hear the song because the chorus coming in is a lot longer than it takes going through the level. But the music by itself?

Yeah. It alright.

I love Sonic CD. It's a solid mainline game I find to be an improvement on Sonic 1 alone where I prefer the former. The coolest thing to me about it is that it was directed by Naoto Ooshima. Since he designed and drew Sonic, I feel that CD is the ultimate aesthetic vision of what Sonic is and represents: from the colors and graphics of the zones down to the music and Sonic's attitude in his sprites and the opening/ending scenes.

Sonic CD is weird because of its level designs. Ooshima isn't a game programmer or seem to have any sort of coding skills; Yuji Naka is responsible for that. The whole going fast and momentum-based gameplay is what makes Sonic 1, 2, and 3&K so good, so Ooshima basically took Naka's gameplay into his own hands. I attribute the weird level designs to their themes, for example: Palmtree Panic is naturally open and has lots of room and ramps to go fast, but its also the first zone with levels that teach you that you need to slow down, explore and jump, and destroy the robot generators to ensure a Good Future. Collision Chaos goes further with this eliminating long stretches to run in and puts springs and bumpers fucking everywhere (with the JP/EU soundtrack slapping so hard). Later on, you're allowed to zip around and go fast in Stardust Speedway, but at that point, you know you still have to explore doing so to find the generators. Even if you play straight through Sonic CD, you can also get the good ending collecting all the Time Stones. There's different ways to experience the game.

Ev4KC6nXYAEf3Kx.jpg

Also I never knew Sonic is sneezing here in the opening animation video.

Last edited:
Now I personally like Sonic CD, the level designs are neat and I generally like the story they were trying to go with. Also yes Sonic CD in the timeline was Before Sonic 2.

The only problem with CD is that there’s a 9:59 time limit per stage, which makes exploration really hard. The Whitehead “fixes” this problem by temporarily saving what you’ve done in that stage, such as leaving robot generators broken if you destroyed one. I don’t think that happened in the original

The only thing I wish we could get would be seeing Knuckles getting included, a true level select, a post-game Super sonic (even if it makes 0 sense without Chaos Emeralds) and a "True Last Boss" when getting the good ending.

The only thing I wish we could get would be seeing Knuckles getting included, a true level select, a post-game Super sonic (even if it makes 0 sense without Chaos Emeralds) and a "True Last Boss" when getting the good ending.
Here’s hoping they add that to the Origins Collection to make it more worth buying!

Here’s hoping they add that to the Origins Collection to make it more worth buying!
I doubt that Sega would do that as they still insisted that Whitehead wouldn't put Dusty Desert nor Final Fight into CD 2011 to stay close to the original

Probably the one change in the 2011 remake that actually bothers me a bit would have to be this sound design change in Collision Chaos: originally in the Mega CD version the record balls would make a boisterous "CRASH!!!!" sound which fit with the music and the orchestra hit bumpers, but not so in the 2011 remake. It's instead a very faint "chisk" which feels so offputting.

Probably the one change in the 2011 remake that actually bothers me a bit would have to be this sound design change in Collision Chaos: originally in the Mega CD version the record balls would make a boisterous "CRASH!!!!" sound which fit with the music and the orchestra hit bumpers, but not so in the 2011 remake. It's instead a very faint "chisk" which feels so offputting.
May I hear this? Is there a video showing that?

I love Sonic CD. It's a solid mainline game I find to be an improvement on Sonic 1 alone where I prefer the former. The coolest thing to me about it is that it was directed by Naoto Ooshima. Since he designed and drew Sonic, I feel that CD is the ultimate aesthetic vision of what Sonic is and represents: from the colors and graphics of the zones down to the music and Sonic's attitude in his sprites and the opening/ending scenes.

Sonic CD is weird because of its level designs. Ooshima isn't a game programmer or seem to have any sort of coding skills; Yuji Naka is responsible for that. The whole going fast and momentum-based gameplay is what makes Sonic 1, 2, and 3&K so good, so Ooshima basically took Naka's gameplay into his own hands. I attribute the weird level designs to their themes, for example: Palmtree Panic is naturally open and has lots of room and ramps to go fast, but its also the first zone with levels that teach you that you need to slow down, explore and jump, and destroy the robot generators to ensure a Good Future. Collision Chaos goes further with this eliminating long stretches to run in and puts springs and bumpers fucking everywhere (with the JP/EU soundtrack slapping so hard). Later on, you're allowed to zip around and go fast in Stardust Speedway, but at that point, you know you still have to explore doing so to find the generators. Even if you play straight through Sonic CD, you can also get the good ending collecting all the Time Stones. There's different ways to experience the game.

View attachment 45761
Also I never knew Sonic is sneezing here in the opening animation video.
Ah, about that, do you know thats an actual power sonic has to sense danger? Just like spiderman

i really like sonic cd, the music is a true BOP (i like some tracks of the american version) and it introduced metalsonic and amy. the level design is a bit mazey for a game about speed, but i ussualy nevermind that. tip: its better to play in the 2011 remaster, altho the original is fine its a bit hard to time travel in the original due to random spots that stop you from time travelling

I've listened to the US BGM for the past few months or so, and I have to say: I think I like it better than the original BGM now. Something about the US BGM seems like it's telling a story.

i love sonic cd both us and jp versons i love sonic boom and toot toot sonic warror altho us boss makes me feel a bit uneasy but at the same time robotnik puts animals and antho animals into robots (yes metal does count before sonic wins) also i wish this was expanned apon as i cant play it and i really like the idea as i was going to play as it on neo palmtree panic (as we are on the topic of sonic cd) https://mb.srb2.org/threads/cd-sonic.25597/

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back