Sol Sestancia 2

[Open Assets] Sol Sestancia 2 2024-09-22

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Not really, just my personal Discord.
I mean, I guess there's a Dissected discord, centered around discussion video's about the Sonic games I did, but they're not really talking about my cartoon or SRB2 work.

Yesterday, I had a good time running through the Arcade version of the levelpack to test X Sonic. Great stuff as always! I didn't get lost at any point this time either, though that might've been partially because I played the Beta. I did run into 1 crash in Robotropolis that seemed unrelated to X Sonic. (RPT file said it was related to a Chase action, meaning an enemy somewhere crashed SRB2) One of my friends did get lost in Island Cross somewhere near the huge bridge, but said friend also has Hypobraincellium, so don't take it too seriously.

I was honestly surprised you went and made an entirely separate version. Are you updating both versions of SolSest2 separately, or are you constantly making cuts out out the main branch to make a "new" Arcade version? It feels like the latter, since I've noticed you can still technically access SP levels by forcing a map warp. But both methods sound like a real big piece of work to keep up with.

By any chance...which levelpacks are you currently actively tweaking and which are you leaving alone? If I get some time inbetween my other projects, I could maybe tweak one pack at a time for improved multiplayer support. They all deserve to be seen more online!

One of my friends did get lost in Island Cross somewhere near the huge bridge, but said friend also has Hypobraincellium, so don't take it too seriously.

I was honestly surprised you went and made an entirely separate version. Are you updating both versions of SolSest2 separately, or are you constantly making cuts out out the main branch to make a "new" Arcade version? It feels like the latter, since I've noticed you can still technically access SP levels by forcing a map warp. But both methods sound like a real big piece of work to keep up with.

By any chance...which levelpacks are you currently actively tweaking and which are you leaving alone?
Not surprised Robotropolis crashed, I crammed way too much stuff in that level. I suppose for arcade mode, I should remove some enemies to save up computing space.
Should probably remove the entire ending and put the exit in the purple room, now I think about it...

I'm updating the 2 versions separately and it is a bit of a pain, yes. Experimental. We'll see how it goes...

"access SP levels by forcing a map warp."
What do you mean with that? What should I change?

As for what I'm updating, right now I'm mostly taking a SRB2 break and focusing on animation again.
If there's quick useful fixes requested for Sol Sestancia 2 I'll do it,
Such as recently, when I added chaos emeralds hints on the level maps.
I suppose Robotropolis would need a little fixing in arcade mode now.
If I know you want to tinker with it, I'll leave it be.

Next levelpack sheduled for update is Sol Sestancia 1, to fix some continuity issues and replace AI voices.
But I ain't doing that until at least October or so.
Nothing else planned yet.

Altough now we're talking anyway, I was thinking that it might be beneficial to the SRB2 community if we release some of those cool gimmicks you made separately as free assets on the forum, like the branches and golf launcher.
We really need more fun gimmicks like that used in mods like that.
Heh, only problem is that I probably should hire a proper sprite artist to make new art for it.
Don't know, what do you think about it.

Last edited:
Not surprised Robotropolis crashed, I crammed way too much stuff in that level. I suppose for arcade mode, I should remove some enemies to save up computing space.
Removing enemies will probably lessen lag, but the crash won't be removed from doing that. It'll only reduce the frequency of it happening. You'll want your coder to look into the enemy types you've placed there, and look into why one of their chasing actions would crash the game.

"access SP levels by forcing a map warp."
What do you mean with that? What should I change?
Nothing. I just manually used the console to warp to some levels unintended for multiplayer access. That's not something casual players will run into and wonder "Why is this broken", so you can leave it be.

If I know you want to tinker with it, I'll leave it be.

Next levelpack sheduled for update is Sol Sestancia 1, to fix some continuity issues and replace AI voices.
But I ain't doing that until at least October or so.
Nothing else planned yet.
I think I'll do some multiplayer friendlyness tweaks on SA Genisys first when I get time, then.

Altough now we're talking anyway, I was thinking that it might be beneficial to the SRB2 community if we release some of those cool gimmicks you made separately as free assets on the forum, like the branches and golf launcher.
We really need more fun gimmicks like that used in mods like that.
Heh, only problem is that I probably should hire a proper sprite artist to make new art for it.

Don't know, what do you think about it.
People technically can already use everything in this levelpack, since you marked Sol Sest 2 as "Open Assets" and all. But yes, I suppose it'd be simpler for mappers if they were entirely seperate. And it'd be very nice too if they meshed with the generic SRB2 style. I'm all for it. The hanging branches were mainly based on the Sonic Advance "flagpole" set pieces in terms of gameplay, so having those sprited like a flagpole would be great.

-

Also, you asked about softlocks. I wish I recorded them on encounter, but we were all hyperfixated on testing X Sonic at the time. I'll just name what I recall from my head...

There's alot of places where 2D Sections don't activate if you go too fast (Can be fixed by making them bigger activation sectors), or don't lock you onto the right track using linedefs marked as impassible to make "guard rails". It creates some issues with characters that can use forwards thrusting abilities like Knuckles and Sonic, and it's especially easy with modded characters.

A specific door in "Convoy Assault" closes and locks all other players out. Uploaded a GIF to show which one.

There's at least 2 "screen transition" teleport sectors that never work again after the first time. I wish I remembered EXACTLY which ones, I just recall one was a small cave, another was in a city. I used a cheats mod to just manually teleport the others to me, so we didn't really look at them for long. For you, it's probably easier to just brute-force it and turn every teleporter type into a "continuous" type if there's not an extremely good reason it needs to be a "once" type. The "Once" trigger is the bane of multiplayer.

"Secret Train" softlocked with several doors that stayed closed after being passed. But I think this one was the level I manually warped to and isn't actually intended to be multiplayer-accessible.

Attachments

• srb20616.gif
    srb20616.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 598
  • srb20617.gif
    srb20617.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 8,741
i've encountered some performance issues in robotropolis that only seem to happen during the effects when cacee hits an enemy and the third spike rush

I have no idea how the branches in Mt. Terracentro work, I keep falling through them and it seems random how high you're thrown.
Edit: I found the code and it seems the height you get is proportional to your vertical speed. It not letting you grab it seems to be due to the modded character I'm using's falling animation (CD Sonic).

Last edited:
First level had the blue emerald, cyan one is in Robotropolis tunnels, in the first outside area high in the air. Not sure if vanilla Sonic can get there, could be possible with creative jumps from going up the main route and then backtracking across the rooftops of the buildings.

As for the branches, I discovered only the most recent update of Sonic Robo blast 2 makes them work, if you're still using an older version of SRB2, the branches won't work. Sorry. Guess you can use Tails or Knuckles to bypass the branches.

srb20012.gif

No death pit here? (tested in normal and arcade mode)
srb20013.gif

And yes I did try with other chars, even if I didn't see why this wasn't just a misplaced death sector

This mod is great but i have my problem about the graphic, for some reason when i watch somebody else play the mod the background has more details while mine is just an orange box

this is roger's gameplay this is mine on the same stage

Screenshot 2024-08-03 132746.png
Screenshot 2024-08-03 132200.png

can some help me how to fix the problem

This mod is great but i have my problem about the graphic, for some reason when i watch somebody else play the mod the background has more details while mine is just an orange box

this is roger's gameplay this is mine on the same stage

View attachment 133754View attachment 133753

can some help me how to fix the problem
That's really odd. I have no idea what causes it. Did you use the most recent version of Sonic Robo blast 2?
Can't be the Inazuma mod either, I've seen Voidy upload a playtrough with Inazuma with no problems...
Did you activate other mods? Arcade and regular version of Sol2 at the same time?
Otherwise I really don't know, sorry.

the first level gives me such lag
(the only mods added are solsest2 and my Maverick wip)
View attachment 133935
And that is the latest version?
Drat.
Sorry, I split the level up, removed all the falling rocks, more then halved the enemies.
I have no idea what else to do.
Play the arcade version? That eliminated the opening area, so should be even more smooth.

the first level gives me such lag
(the only mods added are solsest2 and my Maverick wip)
View attachment 133935
You could also just try slap the lagkiller Lua on it (specifically v2, as v1 can break triggers/things), it's what I did when I saw my frames drop here when getting ready to host (which usually happens on maps with a lot of spike ball spinners or ones that're just b i g from my experience). Tough if your frames are dropping here they're unlikely to survive Robotropolis.

Also I'm not trying to be a helper or anything this is kinda just stuff I already know-

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back