Software vs OpenGL: The rational debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaysakado said:
By the way, why exactly is OGL unsupported kthxbai? And can't you compile the R_d3d.dll and R_glide.dll in 1.1 so we can have d3d and Glide? And hope they are supported kthxbai?

... You DO want SRB2 1.1 to come out within 200 yeas or so, correct?

They have enough to do working on one renderer.

SSNTails said that earlier in this very topic, I believe.

D3D and Glide are coded in for the base version of Doom Legacy they based SRB2 off of.

I highly doubt that these renderers have been kept up-to-date, especially considering how hard it is just to find someone to keep OpenGL in working order.

There isn't anyone to update OpenGL, thats why its unsupported, as far as I know.

Penopat said:
... You DO want SRB2 1.1 to come out within 200 MORE yeas or so, correct?
Fixed. Also, Softwware is better because you don't need a fancy graphics card for it. And OpenGL makes things look flat and ugly.

Kaysakado said:
By the way, why exactly is OGL unsupported kthxbai? And can't you compile the R_d3d.dll and R_glide.dll in 1.1 so we can have d3d and Glide? And hope they are supported kthxbai?

Why the hell would you want Glide? Do you have some old 3dfx card lying around or something?

Uhh, Glide is proprietary. It won't even work unless you are on a Voodoo graphics card (a series that has most definitely been abandoned by now). If not, a wrapper is needed (which is silly since we already have an OpenGL renderer). Honestly, how many games have Glide support that you know of? I can only think of one off the top of my head: Unreal Tournament 99.

It's not going to happen, trust me.

Nothing has to happen for it to happen; (Wait, what?) it's already coded in. Use -glide or -d3d at the command line. They just haven't compiled the necessary DLL.

Kaysakado said:
Yeah, I don't, but it has to be better than Software.

Then why don't you take up fixing the OpenGL renderer once 1.1 comes out?

That would definitely be more efficient than attempting to get Glide or D3D into a workable state. Not to mention that both Glide and D3D are archaic anyway, like SSNTails and FoxBlitzz have already mentioned.

I have the strangest feeling that none of you read my posts. Glide and D3D are already coded in, dammit!

Kaysakado said:
Nothing has to happen for it to happen; (Wait, what?) it's already coded in. Use -glide or -d3d at the command line. They just haven't compiled the necessary DLL.

And, judging by something that Alam said, ("It's just not usually compiled") they already have the DLL, they just don't compile it.

Kaysakado said:
I have the strangest feeling that none of you read my posts. Glide and D3D are already coded in, dammit!

I also have the strangest feeling that you haven't read our posts...

I said:
D3D and Glide are coded in for the base version of Doom Legacy they based SRB2 off of.

I highly doubt that these renderers have been kept up-to-date, especially considering how hard it is just to find someone to keep OpenGL in working order.

Yes, D3D and Glide are coded in for the base version of Doom Legacy. I highly doubt that anyone has kept them up to date to work with the current version of SRB2.

Nobody has been working on OpenGL, so why would you expect someone to be working on D3D or Glide?

Rational Debate... <.<

At any rate, I personally prefer OpenGL. Last night I finally decided to actually look for PrettySRB2 which was buried with CD beta 4. With that, I really don't have any gripes concerning OpenGL atm... except perhaps the draw distance continuing past the thok barrier and maybe the paper sprites.

I understand that it will be unsupported in 1,1, but unless you are going to get much more freedom with m-look in Software, I'd rather use OpenGL because it helps both the framerate and aiming. If Software can't make up for the lost freedom in aiming, I'd still like to use it in some netgames provided it isn't *broken*.

For future or something?

Basically what happens, is the game still renders to OGL, and the d3d.dll is a wrapper that converts the OGL calls to Direct3D.

Are you paying any attention, Kaysakado? You need a Voodoo graphics card to use Glide anyway, nobody, I repeat, nobody uses them any more. Do you have one? No? Be quiet then, you couldn't use glide anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back