Software vs OpenGL: The rational debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpshade

Usually lurks somewhere.
Here's the thing: whenever someone posts a OpenGL mode screenshot they seem to be targeted for criticism of their renderer choice. This criticism is not constructive, often consisting of such wits as 'OpenGL sux kthxbai' and 'Software or GTFO'. I, for one, am tired of such miscellaneous (sp?) tat filling up topics instead of comments that are actually useful to someone. If you have a rational, reasoned argument as to why one renderer is better than the other instead of 'SSN agrees with me', 'OpenGL not supported kthxbai' or the above genius comments, bring it here. I would very much like to see what all the uproar is about, and please, nothing stupid, 'kay?

I like both. I use software when my computer goes all wonky, but when it's finished ****ing up, I use Open GL. I have no preference- I test all my maps in Software and netgame with them in Open GL. This is to make sure the maximum kinks are worked out.

Don't evade the curse filter - Sonict

Nice try, I evaded nothing =/ It was my own damn censor.

Grudges aren't kewl, eh?

Open GL make characters look like theyr floating if you look at them at certain angles. Besides that, open GL makes characters look like nothing but moving switching 2D frames that move. JTE is the only thing i use for open GL. And even that is not perfect. Mystic realm has redwall in Open GL. Some maps are way too dark due to crappy lighting affects as well.
Open GL sux kthxbai.

*Shot*

OpenGL is so pretty... oh so pretty, it's so pretty and witty and-- erm, well, all it needs is a few bug fixes; then we're all set!

Oh wait, Open GL can be pretty sure Segmint, but, with most of the levels i have seen, Open Gl is too dark. Probably because of the fact that i have a very dark computer screen........Btw, Segmint is right about the fact that
SOME parts of Open GL is pretty.

I use opengl because it is faster on my pc...

However I prefer the exclusive features of Software as opposed to opengl, because in netgames I never know if its safe to hide behind a waterfall cause I don't know if its transparent or not. Also translucency can completely change the look of a level. Lighting on the other hand I don't really care about as it is just an added frill and has no practical use.

Therefore I prefer software but use opengl due to convenience...

Software is officially supported. OGL officially isn't.

srb20000.png

And yet it's removed from the SVN version... the only way opengl can crash your computer is if your computer isn't OpenGL compatible. Srb2 software can also crash, on a bad enough PC/Laptop

OpenGL makes it harder to Crawla hop. When you're moving down at high speed, Sonic and the Crawla flatten out, thus making it very hard to aim where you land. If you can't see the Crawla or Sonic, you don't know which way to move in order to hit it. Crawla hopping has become an essential part of the game to me, and to have that ability become nearly unusable by a simple render choice makes things easier for me to decide. In OpenGL, textures close to other textures behind them (like those on waterfalls) flicker a lot. In Software, they don't. OpenGL takes away the sky-stretching feature I love about Software. OpenGL's REDWALL instead of HOM effect will sometimes make red corners appear on walls near the Thok Barrier.
And the grand finale... OpenGL makes Blue Heaven look like crap. Software wins, in my opinion.

I have a question, why was srb2 built on the doom engine rather than a more advanced one? Sure srb2 rocks, but im rather curious about that.

1 more thing..........

Open Gl is unsupported and may crash your computer! Open Gl sux kthxbai.[/i][/b]

Redwalls on thok barriers are easily fixable.

Me. I like both renderers. I prefer OpenGL because it runs more efficiently and looks nicer, but Software is less prone to many problems that OpenGL has such as the sky-stretching thing (which doesn't work properly in both srb2win and prettysrb2 IMO) and the z-fighting with things like waterfalls or verticies.

And for those who hate OpenGL "making random redwalls" on certain levels, it's only because there's a missing texture there. You can see it in software too.

OGL, personally. I can look all the way up and all the way down with mouselook, water doesn't look like ass, and the graphics look prettier. Only problem I have with it is everything looks like friggin' paper when you're looking up or down.

Blue Warrior said:
In OpenGL, Silver Cascade's water is blue. In software, it's gray. :(

See this? Water is not always blue.
straw%20glass%20smalll.jpg

Water is the colour of whatever can be seen behind it. Most of the time, the bottom. If the water is too deep to see the bottom, it reflects the colour of the sky. I can definitely see the bottom in Silver Cascade, and it isn't that far down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back