• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Shadow the hedgehog remake, Final Beta released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the beta, the roll has red-bottomed shoes and the run uses parts from the sprites I sent you as a reference, which I only allowed you to use those as a refrence not as a build for your sprites.

Also, Torgo, if people are willing to take the time and effort to make 160+ frames of a character then I say that gives them the right to make whoever or whatever they want.

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Also, Torgo, if people are willing to take the time and effort to make 160+ frames of a character then I say that gives them the right to make whoever or whatever they want.

...With the exceptions of the characters already done, such as Sonic and Tails, unless the originals were awful.

Dr.Pepper said:
Blue Warrior said:
The number Sonic character remakes we've had here is just ridiculous, and it annoys me to see them used in netgames, because they force me to download wads which have absolutely no use in the game other than to function as eye candy.
The whole point of character Wads are for eye candy
And that's where I disagree entirely. Adding a character to your netgame just because you think it looks pretty when it doesn't bring any new gameplay seems very questionable to me. Where's the fun in playing as someone who played exactly the same as the previous character? Sure, you should certainly aim for making a good-looking character (unless the character is intentionally ugly), but please don't place it over the character's gameplay.

aren't you even remotely glad that you won't have to look at Donnyku's ugly old Shadow when you play NET games?

Well, actually, I'm rather indifferent. It isn't SMS-horrendous, so I don't even notice him that much.

The whole point of my WAD is to out-date those old WADs and give us a character that actually resembles Shadow. It's a replacement for Donykku's old Shadow, not an alternative edit/recolor.

Alright, then. Shadow isn't really that much different than Sonic, but if you can replace the one on srb2.org, then be my guest.

Monster Iestyn said:
nitro_the_hedghog said:

...With the exceptions of the characters already done, such as Sonic and Tails, unless the originals were awful.

Correction: everyone has the right to make a character wad (but that doesn't mean they have to release it). The privilege of posting them on the forum varies depending on the wad.

I'll Begin said:
The soda that doctors drink said:
Seriously, do we want him to jog or skate?
Jog. Leave the skating for his running frames.

Seriously, one of these days you have to run out of Dr. Pepper jokes. Some of them are getting rather tacky.

On topic: Why are we still arguing about this? Let it die, people! It's up to Dr. Pepper what he wants to do. (I think I've said this before) And whatever he decides, we just have to be mature people and accept his decision, even if we do not like it.

nitro_the_hedghog said:
In the beta, the roll has red-bottomed shoes.

So does Sonic and Tails. They have grey bottomed shoes (or at least they should, but I know they have them on the frontal walking sprites) but they still have red-bottomed when spinning. Same thing goes for sonic running. Since the characters move fast while spinning, they have red bottomed shoes instead of silver (that or SSN was lazy. :P).

Angelus_the_echidna said:
On topic: Why are we still arguing about this? Let it die, people! It's up to Dr. Pepper what he wants to do. (I think I've said this before) And whatever he decides, we just have to be mature people and accept his decision, even if we do not like it.

Angelus, I told him that if he can replace the srb2.org Shadow, then he may as well do so. Just because I'm trying to have a rational argument on what characters are all about and how he should handle his character doesn't mean I'm telling him to quit. :\

Blue Warrior said:
Angelus, I told him that if he can replace the srb2.org Shadow, then he may as well do so. Just because I'm trying to have a rational argument on what characters are all about and how he should handle his character doesn't mean I'm telling him to quit. :\

I wasn't exactly referring to just you. If I was, I would have mentioned names.

Shadow will jog then, I'll get started on those frames...
nitro_the_hedghog said:
In the beta, the roll has red-bottomed shoes and the run uses parts from the sprites I sent you as a reference, which I only allowed you to use those as a refrence not as a build for your sprites
I actually didn't use parts from your sprites. I did draw them on myself, but I referenced from your sprites too heavily. D: I'm working on it...
Off Topic:
Blue Warrior said:
And that's where I disagree entirely. Adding a character to your netgame just because you think it looks pretty when it doesn't bring any new gameplay seems very questionable to me. Where's the fun in playing as someone who played exactly the same as the previous character?
That was stupid of me to say, I shouldn't have put it that way. What I mean to say is that unless a character is designed to showcase a soc'd ability or an original character, character WADs are usually just graphical skins for the player object, 'eye candy'. Much like how some people prefer wallpapers of waterfalls or space shuttles, some SRB2 players prefer playing only as Blaze or Shadow, even though they handle with little difference to Sonic. Although I'm not saying we need a billion different versions of the same WAD just to suit different players, that's when it becomes just another worthless recolor.
Torgo said:
I would also like originality in character design, instead of all these characters that are official, or remakes of an official character. Why isn't anyone trying something different?
Personally I don't care much about playing characters outside of the Sonic franchise in SRB2. :P Unless I could draw a Link or Rayman WAD, but even then they're still official characters, not original.

SRB2 gameplay is built around sonic characters, so it's hard to make a character from another game without it's gameplay being unsuitable for the character.

Well, just about all my wads fall under that category then. :P

Anyways, I hope that you're going to change the animation in the A4A6 running/walking frames, he looks too stiff.

Dr.Pepper said:
Blue Warrior said:
And that's where I disagree entirely. Adding a character to your netgame just because you think it looks pretty when it doesn't bring any new gameplay seems very questionable to me. Where's the fun in playing as someone who played exactly the same as the previous character?
That was stupid of me to say, I shouldn't have put it that way. What I mean to say is that unless a character is designed to showcase a soc'd ability or an original character, character WADs are usually just graphical skins for the player object, 'eye candy'. Much like how some people prefer wallpapers of waterfalls or space shuttles, some SRB2 players prefer playing only as Blaze or Shadow, even though they handle with little difference to Sonic. Although I'm not saying we need a billion different versions of the same WAD just to suit different players, that's when it becomes just another worthless recolor.

Now, that makes sense. I can respect Shadow and Blaze as I can respect Marth and Roy. A smidge of gameplay variance isn't all I would download a wad for, but it makes sense if you're more of a fan of Shadow than Sonic and prefer the homing attack over the general thok. I'm not too influenced by a character's design, personally, and playing as Sonic provides more challenge for me. :P

nitro_the_hedghog said:
SRB2 gameplay is built around sonic characters, so it's hard to make a character from another game without it's gameplay being unsuitable for the character.

Perhaps, but not necessarily. Mario could be as fast as Sonic but only have the ability to swim. If you could use socs to extend the character's uniqueness, then it can be a definite step to a better character -- though, as long it has some noticeable difference that sets it apart from others, then I think you could call a wad acceptable. In which case, Espio comes to mind.

Also, keep in mind that SRB2 is a diversity of gametypes: just because Sonic is the king of circuit doesn't mean that Tails won't come in handy in for any other gametype. For your custom character, it could be almost exactly the same way. You could make it slow and have no spindash, but give it a pretty powerful slingitem to make up for it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to 'finish' Blaze and take an early break from working on Shadow. Lately I haven't had the energy to work on him...and because of drawing most of Shadow's sprite very late at night, (not having enough time during the day), it seems like I can't get enough sleep. Since a new Sonic WAD isn't really needed, I've scrapped that idea. (although if anyone wants to continue it or edit it into something else, be my guest) No, I'm not going to stop working on Shadow, but after creating over 400/900 graphics lumps in less than 4 months, I'm too tired right now to continue. I need to catch up on some rest...

I hope you're going to fix shadows spines in some of the sprites. The falling, spring, run, and hurt could use some work.

Gosh, it's amazing how good Dr. Pepper has gotten at wadding in just a few short weeks. Heck, my first wad was literally a stickman. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back