New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. I'm much more calm. But I'm still not happy.

I'm going to go more into detail why this game is not particularly making me happy. Quoted from Emerald Coast Comics:
I appreciate that Jet, but the reason I say that is that it was quite Ballsy to call this Sonic 4 even though it doesn't feel like a continuation from the previous game. Yes, I hate the fact that they're using the new model. My complaints with it are this:

This design has constantly been changing yet have been keeping some rather disgusting qualities such as ridiculously humongous floppy spines, the more humanoid that hedgehog build that I loved from the Classic Sonic. Yes, the Unleashed Model was rather likable in the fact that he wasn't that tall. However, those floppy pingases on his head are really beginning to bug me.

The eye color is a minor complaint and doesn't bug me as bad. HOWEVER, I do believe that it needs to become much more subtle. The lightning green quality is very in your face, and quite simply disgusts me.

And then there's the inclusion of the Homing Attack and the Linoleum Grass. I mean, GEEZ. It looks more like Sonic Advance than SEGA Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog Trilogy. The original trilogy actually made it look like there were blades of grass instead of a huge sheet of plastic on the ground. HOWEVER, everything else in that world looks GORGEOUS. Admittedly, I'd like it to look more earthly and organic as well as surreal like a painting by Salvador Dali, but it looks awesome enough as it is. That's why I quite simply was wanting it to look like the work of Orioto, minus the blur of course. PLUS, he has ambiance and atmosphere down. His Stardust Speedway masterpiece was quite simply beautiful and emphasized on the tension in the race. It looks like Sonic is truly in danger if he loses and for that, he captured the true spirit of the zone.

But here's why I'm not pleased with the inclusion of the Homing Attack.... What is the real point of it being used in a 2D plane? As it is, the main purpose I've know it's been used for is getting Sonic to higher locations by destroying enemies, but as it is, that's not really fun. I mean, in the original Sonic the Hedgehog if you were speeding around at unimaginable speeds and jumped off of a slope at the right time, it would project you to the higher location as you will remember from Green Hill Zone in particular. With Homing Attack, you would do this, but it wouldn't take much work as building up your speed with advanced uses such as using the momentum you gain from the slopes and springs and using it to reward yourself. Plus, they've been known to use the Homing Attack for the worst of uses. Anyone remember Sonic Heroes' Mystic Mansion? Anyone annoyed with your leveled up teammates for destroying the ghost ahead of you that would've saved you from falling into the pit of doom? I call it right now. We will have levels implementing the Homing Attack, and it will require you to attack enemies in order to get over death pits. I call it right now.

And the physics already look like Sonic Rush. HOWEVER, considering that we only got 5 seconds of gameplay we don't know if this will be as linear as Rush. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but if my sudden realization is of any truth and Wentos was right all along, then this game will be Sonic Rush for consoles and undeserving of the name Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Plus, the animation of the Badniks is already disappointing. Seeing the Motobug up close is ugly and it doesn't even have a metallic sheen unlike the ridiculously plastic grass. It looks more organic like skin and quite simply is unappealing. The classic Badniks DID have a sheen. Why aren't we getting that out of the modern Badniks?

I'm on the fence here. It may be decent, BUT it doesn't look to deserve the name Sonic 4... At least... Not yet.

You know, some of the guys at GHZ suggested that this latest trailer may largely be a mock-up. I don't know if I'd go as far to believe that, but...

Shadow Hog said:
It [the first trailer] was made by a third-party who only had "Sega is making a 2D Sonic game in 2010 and has nothing to show for it" to go by, and was tasked with pulling the trailer out of their ass in a week.

...Anything's possible, I guess. Whoever makes these trailers now apparently has more material to work with, but the question is exactly how much of it is authentic.

Last edited:
You know, some of the guys at GHZ suggested that this latest trailer may largely be a mock-up. I don't know if I'd go as far to believe that. But hearing that the makers of the first trailer had almost nothing to go by, I wouldn't totally discard that possibility.

I hope that's the case. It didn't really excite me like I hoped it would. In fact, it causes mixed emotions every time I watch it.

A Saladore Dali styled Sonic level? Are you sure, Greg? I think the artificial cartoony look works great for Sonic, and the only time I've seen something with such heavy tones that it could be compared to that was Sonic Nebulous, which was just plain creepy.

Also, it could be that the fact that Sonic isn't at full speed in that footage could be a good sign, in this case. After all, earning the speed through momentum is something the retro sonic fans have been pushing for since forever....

I mean, look at those animations...they kinda look crappy and rushed, don't they? And I have a feeling the engine's not gonna be so smooth either.

Take note that MAYBE SEGA is just working more on levels than the animations. I'm about 86.452343524362453453674265% sure that they will put a little more effort in the sprites later on.

A Saladore Dali styled Sonic level? Are you sure, Greg? I think the artificial cartoony look works great for Sonic, and the only time I've seen something with such heavy tones that it could be compared to that was Sonic Nebulous, which was just plain creepy.

Also, it could be that the fact that Sonic isn't at full speed in that footage could be a good sign, in this case. After all, earning the speed through momentum is something the retro sonic fans have been pushing for since forever....

Well, I did like the artwork in that game to be honest, despite the character designs being a little bit over the top with some of them (Sonic's muscles are pretty strange to look at).

However, I do understand that for a classic classic game. The only levels that were menacing were Robotnik's locations (yes, even if his big base of operations was a Death Star parody, then again even the Badniks and boss battles were menacing in Sonic 3). Maybe, I should say more of a mix between Dr. Suess and Dali. I mean, the detail of Sonic 3 was realistic but it still was fantastical in the way it was presented.

Thing is, I'm afraid they'll make it usual WiiWare quality and hardly put any effort in it. I mean, look at those animations...they kinda look crappy and rushed, don't they? And I have a feeling the engine's not gonna be so smooth either.

Since they'll be selling this for maybe 10 bucks at most in the WiiWare's case, does anybody really expect something as well worked out as Sonic 3? I'm having my doubts.

This game is coming out in the summer. They will have some time to fix some stuff.

Not sure if this is old or not, but did anyone else notice that they used the Sonic 2 Beta running animation to represent Sonic 2?

He seems to agree with Aknothholeresident

lolno

However, it's rather easy to see why fans are disappointed. Simply put, that is not the Sonic people played the other Sonic games with. It puts people in the mindstate that what they're playing isn't quite Sonic 4. I'll be honest: it'll take some getting used to playing Sonic 4 with the same Sonic I played in Rush and Advance.

Bigboi - Lolno? lolYES. Did you see his video?
Quote I agree.

...I have completely and utterly given up on the Sonic fanbase. NOT the games, the fanbase. Hell, not even the WHOLE fanbase, i'm talking about the portion of the fanbase that're just too damn picky, which have managed to put me off most of the fanbase entirely.

Sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but this portion of the fanbase are just...never seem happy with anything that SEGA try and do for them. Sonic 4 (Needlemouse) is a current example.

SEGA wanted to somewhat revive the gameplay (and apparently, the storyline) of their classic games...and at first, we all seemed really happy about it. But now that a few screenshots (and a gameplay video, I believe?) have been released...

OH GOD FORBID THAT SONICS EYES ARE GREEN! THEY SOULD BE BLACK!!!!111ONE11!

or, more recently, I have noticed...

OMG WHY DID THEY CALL HIM EGGMAN?? HE SHOULD BE ROBOTNIK AGAIN!!

I understand that some of the topics made like this are jokes, but some of them that i've seen across the internet are real complaints, like the ones above. Seriously, you're complaining about his eye colour? Come on, haven't you got something a little more...serious to complain about? Like his speed or something?
And is it such a blasphemy to call Dr. Robotnik ---> Eggman? Come on guys, have some sense, here.
Not sure if this is old or not, but did anyone else notice that they used the Sonic 2 Beta running animation to represent Sonic 2?
It is COLD in here.

But Bigboi, have you seen the Sega boards?
They are complaining this game will suck just because he has green eyes.

Some are complaining about the run animation - Sega already confirmed that it isn't finished.
I mean, seriously? Complaining over 4 seconds of gameplay?

Last edited:
What's with the animosity? Yes, I think it sucks that they aren't using a more classic-oriented Sonic. It's sorta like if you played Mega Man 9 with X. I'm not acting like a gigantic faggot about it, though. I'm still giving this game a shot, despite it's turn-offs so far. I mean, none of this effects the gameplay.

I personally don't understand the problem with using the new graphical style here. I don't like the concept of the homing attack, but if done in moderation it'll be fine. The people complaining about the color of his eyes are just idiots who care about the most unimportant things imaginable.

Bear in mind that the Homing Attack was used in the Rushes and even some of the advance games, and nobody ever complained.

AND, the homing attack wasn't even needed to beat the game. You could just simply do it the classic way if you wanted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back