New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna have to save some of the reactions from Sonic fans. Digiku is right, the factor that makes the Sonic cycle inevitable isn't the sonic games, its the Sonic fans themselves!

I'm not talking about "well I only really care for about 50% of Sonic Unleashed so I won't spend money on it", I mean "Eeeeeek Werehog, you've betrayed us, curse you seeeegaaaaa!" and comments of that sort.

I'm excited, if only to see what happens when Sonic Team tries to revisit Sonic 1 and 2. Even if the game doesn't turn out worthy of the money, it'll be nice to finally have an answer to the big what-if.

Also, its for the Wii too... surely I wasn't the only one who found those rumors without any logical basis and a clear attempt at trolling Wii owners.

I guess hoping for classic Sonic design was a bit of a stretch, but at any rate, I'm not really seeing anything I don't like yet. This "Episode 1" stuff is making me a bit uncomfortable, though.... Specifically, how much content will be offered per episode? If it's basically the same as Sonic 3, then I guess I don't really have much to worry about.

Yes, iPhone is herp derp, that level's a Green Hill ripoff, I'm a Sonic fan therefore I must criticize everything about a trailer or bit of information that I can take the wrong way, who really gives a flying ****.

Greg, do you have any emotions toward stuff other than "I ******* LOVE THIS" and "I ******* HATE THIS?"

Anyway, seems alright. Definitely not what I hoped for (or what SEGA led us on to believe) but as long as it gets that Sonic Rush stink off of it, it'll probably be good. They have WAY too much riding on this one to be bad.

Either way, I'll probably download it on my iPod to see if I want to buy it.

Chaos zero 64 said:
On that note, I also hope that it won't be on the iPhone only

Doing so would be a completely retarded move on their part. Despite the system(s) it will be on I wouldn't really care since I know I won't be missing anything regardless of what is included. In any case I only hope it's worth purchasing and as I previously said in this topic a few months back... "good enough to drain some hours of my life"

Jev3's example said:
" I mean "Eeeeeek Werehog, you've betrayed us, curse you seeeegaaaaa!"
Even though this is slightly off the topic...

Honestly there isn't anything bad with Werehog other than the fact that in a more older audiences point of view (me for example...), the Werehog is just a Showboat for the children so they can go out and purchase the game, and the fact that it was just too damn similar to twilight princess (In terms of the protagonist morphing into a beast depending on area or time) that the character got trolled on to death. But you have to agree, it wasn't any effort of originality, though that doesn't mean it wasn't a good classic marketing technique either so yea...

Greg, do you have any emotions toward stuff other than "I ******* LOVE THIS" and "I ******* HATE THIS?"

Anyway, seems alright. Definitely not what I hoped for (or what SEGA led us on to believe) but as long as it gets that Sonic Rush stink off of it, it'll probably be good. They have WAY too much riding on this one to be bad.

Either way, I'll probably download it on my iPod to see if I want to buy it.

He seems to agree with Aknothholeresident.

I've seen the true side of classic fans. The most ********* people in the world. "OMG HIS EYES ARE GREEN"

I expected better from these fans. 5 seconds of gameplay and people are already saying it is terrible. SERIOUSLY?

If you think green eyes are bad, I dare you to color Sonic's arms blue. We shall rain down upon you all our bitter, nerdish wrath.

But seriously, I'm a fan of the way gameplay was structured in Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles and, to a lesser extent, Sonic CD: A great balance between speed, gimmicks, and straight-up platforming, with individual zones often emphasizing one of the three, and everything supported with excellent physics and handling. That's why I'm glad this game appears to much slower than recent 2D titles. It's indicative that the balanced gameplay I love may finally return.

I know I've critiqued Sonic's design, and slammed the level shown in the second trailer for being visually uninspired. But really, good aesthetics are just the icing on the cake. What really matters is good gameplay, and I'm glad Sonic Team seems to be contemplating that aspect more seriously this time.

Last edited:
I expected better from these fans. 5 seconds of gameplay and people are already saying it is terrible. SERIOUSLY?

" Should I explain the sonic cycle chart? " *Fairly odd parents reference: Sonic style*

This shouldn't be a big surprise. You know how the fans are when it comes to appearance of content before release... (though in terms of this generation of sonic games...debatable).

Sega already had an official poll ruling out all those characters. Unless a werehog thing comes back, I don't see anything wrong.

Just wondering...why did they make the life icon:
Sonic x 003

Is there really going to be a need for over 100 lives?
Anyways, the only thing I have any problems with is the running animation. Other than that, I can't say anything so far.

This game is still in development, and like in previous Sonics. The running animation usually changed by the final time in release.

The website says it takes place right after Sonic and Knuckles... maybe it can lead up to CD(Has to fit somewhere in the timeline right?).... It also says its for Wiiware XBLA PSN and ??? ... What could ??? be?

Last edited:
Did you see the trailer? Its too slow(talk about irony) to be Sonic rush 3... But if the ??? Character is Blaze...

Can't be, It takes place before Sonic Rush. If it is Blaze then we'd have a Massive Continuity Error.

Also does the PSP have access to the same Playstation Network as the PS3? (Does not own PS3)

Last edited:
I was kidding, Tails or Knuckles are much more likely... Maybe even classic Sonic...

EDIT: Maybe they could put soemthing like this in... Just an idea...Also, Im pretty sure PSP does not have access to PS3 downloadable games... Wii is a bigger surprise...

Last edited:
They should port it to PSP also. Not just the Iphone.

Sky The Destroyer, I already posted it. But it was removed due to TSSZ not being a valid source. *Stares at Mystic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back