Mushroom Hill Fan-made Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
sonicmhz.jpg

Wow, this model looks a lot better when looking straight at it. Sort of reminds me of Brawl Sonic.

I know Sonic goes to the background to interact with objects. (And yes, it does look awkward at times) But I'm not that kind of picky guy. I really wouldn't care.

I can see people coming in here posting and bawwing at how the sonic model here isn't the most perfect thing in the world.

inb4 the rest.

The shoes do seem to extended out a little too much if you ask me.

I also personally love how this 3-D modeled amazingly graphiced video was bashed for just being the game we've already played, yet no one has a problem for Sonic 2 HD.

Then again, the latter is never even getting finished because of how development is. If it's ever finished, it'll be available the same time SRB2 1.1 is.

And nobody here even MENTIONED Sonic 2 HD. At least that's more plausable, as S3&K relied on it's 2D dimension for quite a bit; as seen in the video, he HAS to change plane to get to areas, and changing this all to be 2.5D and ALSO be on a single plane, some major changes would have to be made...

Last edited:
I don't see what's so bad with simply clipping through platforms from below, like Smash Brothers does. Such a design could allow for almost all of the gimmicks S3K uses the background interaction for.

I don't think I've ever played a 2.5D game where the player character didn't clip through jump-thru platforms.

Last edited:
I don't get it. What do you mean by when Sonic interacts with the background objects? That he has to switch planes every time he gets hit/ hits someone?

35698510.png

This is an easy example. Normally you simply jump to get to the other sand slide. In 3D, that's not exactly possible. You're forced to slide on a straight path, and there's another slide next to you. If you jump, you either stay on your own slide, or magically warp to the other slide.

I guess you could probably cheat a little and center the player character between the two planes while jumping?

Those moving platforms could move you between planes. It would ruin the method of jumping directly and I think would require another moving platform to be added, but it's a solution nonetheless

35698510.png

This is an easy example. Normally you simply jump to get to the other sand slide. In 3D, that's not exactly possible. You're forced to slide on a straight path, and there's another slide next to you. If you jump, you either stay on your own slide, or magically warp to the other slide.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Couldn't you get away by making a 2D game with 3D models, and having the 2 slides interact in the 2D plane so they'd work?

me blabbling shit again

That was just for cutscene type stuff. This is referring to changing planes interactively, I.E. player is controlling the character at all times.

Sonic seems to blend into the background a bit, but I don't think the level of detail in the foreground is a problem.

In fact, it might just look odd due to Youtube's crap quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back