Mushroom Hill Fan-made Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mushroom Hill Zone from Sonic & Knuckles recreated in widescreen 3D. As others have pointed out, this is just a video, and not a playable game. It was animated over an actual gameplay video of S&K that I recorded. It was designed as a graphical demo to see how well classic Sonic gameplay and level design would adapt to 2.5D.

This was made over the course of about 2-3 weeks from scratch inbetween other work (excluding render times, which were fairly short anyway).

Created with 3DS Max and composited in Adobe After Effects."

This isn't a game. Just a video. Failure to read description and assuming it is a game isn't cool, Eliwood.
In his defense the description of the video used to say a lot less than that and was upgraded from a five-six worded sentence into the quoted paragraph.

"Mushroom Hill Zone from Sonic & Knuckles recreated in widescreen 3D. As others have pointed out, this is just a video, and not a playable game. It was animated over an actual gameplay video of S&K that I recorded. It was designed as a graphical demo to see how well classic Sonic gameplay and level design would adapt to 2.5D.

This was made over the course of about 2-3 weeks from scratch inbetween other work (excluding render times, which were fairly short anyway).

Created with 3DS Max and composited in Adobe After Effects."

This isn't a game. Just a video. Failure to read description and assuming it is a game isn't cool, Eliwood.
At the time this topic was posted, I don't believe that was in the description. IIRC it was just one line long.
What Inuyasha said.
I think some people thought this was a real game at first. I didn't due to reading comments on the Sega boards. But, if someone just stumbles into a video with no (accurate) description. I can see why people think this is a game.

Edit: I either didn't see page 2. Or I got ninjad VERY badly.

Last edited:
Am I the only guy here who takes more than 10 seconds in creating a topic?

It is not Sonic 3, it is Sonic and Knuckles, and it is on the video, it is NOT a remastering, it is just a 3D version, and since it is the ONLY video in all youtube with it´s content, it doesn´t take much brains to assume it is what it is, a VIDEO. Not a game.

Am I the only guy here who takes more than 10 seconds in creating a topic?

It is not Sonic 3, it is Sonic and Knuckles, and it is on the video, it is NOT a remastering, it is just a 3D version, and since it is the ONLY video in all youtube with it´s content, it doesn´t take much brains to assume it is what it is, a VIDEO. Not a game.

And am I the only one here who's noticed that the same thing has been said several times already?

And am I the only one here who's noticed that the same thing has been said several times already?

Yes, but nobody´s noticed the game is not even Sonic 3, it´s Sonic and Knuckles, both cartidges may be combinable, but them apart are different games.

Even if it's real, I think it's same than original, cause I don't look at graphics in games, I only look at gameplay and controls.

Yes, but nobody´s noticed the game is not even Sonic 3, it´s Sonic and Knuckles, both cartidges may be combinable, but them apart are different games.

I really don't get why people care.
It's not even a real game. Why does it matter if its S3 or S3&K?

I'm not sure you can safely say that. &K is an expansion pack that can be played Standalone, like a few expansions out there. However, expansions like that are often missing quite a bit, like how &K lacks Tails, Competition, and even SAVING. I wouldn't call it a different game at all, but I'm not sure you can. After all, &K mainly re-put cut stages, and there was a plan to re-release Sonic 3 with all the levels, so s3&K could easily be considered the "real" S3.

The animation was amazing! I love how the guy animated it to reflect actual gameplay. The background was especially impressive.

I really don't get why people care.
It's not even a real game. Why does it matter if its S3 or S&K?

Fix´d.

The only thing Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are very different games, the ONLY thing they have in common is how Sonic plays, and the formula, but everything else is defferent.

The only thing Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are very different games, the ONLY thing they have in common is how Sonic plays, and the formula, but everything else is defferent.

No, one is a game, and the other is an expansion pack for the other that can be played without the former, though watered down. But can it REALLY be considered a game on it's own? You can't be too sure on it. Yeah, it's a game length, but it's certainly no sequel, missing features from S3, with the two games only being "complete" when together, with &Ks levels and new songs added on, as well as all of S3's previous content included, all allowing you to play the game with the storyline fully intact. It's not a sequel, it's not a full game, it's an expansion to a pre-existing game, with the ability to be used without the game it's expanding on. A few other expansion packs do this too, though I can't really recall some examples. But I'm not sure if they can be considered "games" on their own, or just "addons for games".

Well, at the time, no where did the description say that it was just a video[/late]

Last edited:
It's good to know that this topic isn't repeating itself over and over again. I think I'll fork my eyeballs out of their sockets now.

犬夜叉;686726 said:
You know what? I'm just going to leave this here, because I am absolutely fed up with all the reactions this video is getting.

[22:52] * %Inuyasha headdesks repetitively.
[22:53] <%Inuyasha> Am I the only person in the world who realizes that the Sonic 3K 2 1/2d remake video would not be possible to make into a real game?
[22:53] <%Inuyasha> ANYWHERE
[22:54] <%Inuyasha> EVERYONE is like "olololol why don't we fire everyone at SEGA and do this instead of Sonic 4"
[22:54] <%Inuyasha> Sonic interacts with background objects in Sonic 3&K.
[22:55] <%Inuyasha> There is no fucking way to pull that off in a 2 1/2d plane without awkwardness coming into play
[22:55] <%Inuyasha> Even in the goddamn video Sonic moves to the background to jump on a mushroom
[22:56] <%Inuyasha> You can't do things like this without things going horribly fucking wrong
[22:56] <%Inuyasha> and everyone goes "lol non issue"
[22:56] <+Kita> It could be done so that the mushroom HEAD is in the foreground, and the stalk is in the back.
[22:57] * +Kita shrugs.
[22:57] <+Kita> Kita will not question it, though.
[22:57] <+Kita> Because it would be awkward, surely.
[22:57] <+Kita> :3
[22:57] * %Inuyasha nods.
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> and consider that ... those mushrooms are scattered all over Mushroom Hill
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> ...hence the name.
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> An entire zone of awkward?
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> That shit doesn't fly.

Don't even get me started on other zones...
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=22387&view=findpost&p=497548

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=22387

So... How do you feel that Damizean wants to prove people like you wrong? Thing is they can pull this off without it feeling one bit awkward as you seem to think it is. What do you want? Do you want Sonic to phase through the platforms and mushrooms? Oh yeah cause that wasn't the least bit awkward in SSBB seeing half of a character with a big platform through their torso.

Stop being full of yourself and so petty for SEGA. They didn't meet the fan's apparently "way too high expectations" because we've gotten tired of accepting their way of never setting the bar higher for themselves or their competition. It is sad when I look at the fan projects and I continually see projects that I wish SEGA was making just to get back any once of dignity they have left. Thing is we're through of this mediocrity SEGA's plagued the franchise with and learning that Sonic 4: Episode 1 was nothing but a bunch of thinly disguised levels from Sonic 1 and 2 as well as all of the original bosses was disappointing. I mean, Capcom... Oh hell, Capcom... They dived straight into the retro style and did not rehash anything from previous games to dick around with their fanbase on a crappy trip through memory lane. THEY MADE A WHOLE NEW GAME... And in the retro style no less. They set the bar for SEGA pretty damn high. But is SEGA determined to demolish that bar?

Stop being so petty for SEGA. The backlash is more deserved than you think. I wished I could have had more interest in Sonic 4, but Colours is obviously better for being something that actually has a drive behind it instead of "LET'S TAKE OUR FANBASE ON A TRIP THROUGH MEMORY LANE AND CALL IT A NEW ADVENTURE." Really. This acceptance of mediocrity embarrasses me. People in a fanbase complain to see some improvements made in a franchise. If everyone is accepting the franchise as the husk it is, then you may as well kill the damn thing. You should actually be glad that Sonic 4 was leaked because if it hadn't it would've been a complete failure.

The Mushroom Hill in EggEngine should prove interesting no less than the video.

...so Inuyasha is apparently petty for SEGA by just pointing out the problems in that S3&K animation?

EDIT: Oh, and...

Code:
[09:58] <Damizean> [22:54] <%Inuyasha> Sonic interacts with background objects in Sonic 3&K.
[09:58] <Damizean> [22:55] <%Inuyasha> There is no fucking way to pull that off in a 2 1/2d plane without awkwardness coming into play
[09:58] <Damizean> [22:55] <%Inuyasha> Even in the goddamn video Sonic moves to the background to jump on a mushroom
[09:58] <Damizean> I actually agree to that

inb4 NO, YOU'RE MAKING THAT UP

Last edited:
I love how neither Greg, nor the post he linked addressed anything Inuyasha said. He just went off on a flaming tangent about his own hate for SEGA and Sonic 4.

Greg, how about you stop being overly dramatic and writing tl;dr posts with no real meaning. It's REALLY getting old.

A significant proportion of your posts, especially in any topic on this forum that remotely involves classic Sonic or Sonic 4, follow this trend of ranting on and on about whatever the current ravings of the Sonic fanbase is. You go on and on for paragraphs without stating anything new and flip-flopping between "SEGA is awesome" and "SEGA is the worst company ever" depending on the time of day. Even worse, you always post with the tone of some kind of elitist who is always right despite the aforementioned opinion changes.

This topic has nothing to do with Sonic 4 or Sonic Colors. Stop derailing perfectly good conversations with this kind of fanboy bullshit. For the sake of all of us.

With that out of the way, I personally absolutely loved this video. I know it isn't exactly something we're likely to ever see, but lord is it pretty and it basically hit every childhood dream I ever had. The sunlight in the background is just gorgeous.

Am I the only one with a lack of life enough to even read those posts that are "tl;dr?"

But aside from that, the links he posted said that the guy who animated this video would probably try to figure out how to make a game, since he's not new at programming and knows what he's doing. Even if he remakes the whole entire game into a prettier version, a nice and beautiful 3-D graphiced game, if I might add, it will still be awesome.

I also personally love how this 3-D modeled amazingly graphiced video was bashed for just being the game we've already played, yet no one has a problem for Sonic 2 HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back