Mushroom Hill Fan-made Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXycBv3Rlk

This is by far the most beautiful and amazing thing I have ever seen come out of the Sonic Fandom. Call me crazy, and well, as much as I love srb2, if this were to be finished, I personally think this would be better than Srb2.

Last edited by a moderator:
[07:52] <@Inuyasha> I've yet to see any evidence to show that this isn't just a simple movie.

Even if it is real, Sonic 4 and (IMO) SRB2 still top it. Original content tops a remake of a seventeen year old game (no matter how good the seventeen year old game in question was), thank you very much.

Last edited:
The graphics may be impressive, but the graphics is all that's new in this Sonic 3 & Knuckles remake, as far as I can see. I mean, the level shown in the video is exactly the same as the original Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2, besides the 3D graphics of course. No new level design whatsoever, in other words.

SRB2, on the other hand, has loads of new level designs, instead of copies of the original Genesis Sonic games' levels. So what if it doesn't have 3D graphics like the game in that video? Graphics aren't everything, after all, right? =P

Last edited:
I love the environment detail, but I personally think Sonic looks a little awkward. Of course, I'd still love to play this.
In terms of scope, originality, and creativity, SRB2 wins by far. However, I can't deny the the environment, lighting, and attention to detail in this clip are quite amazing.

Also, from the video submitter's channel: "Here's a collection of 3D videos I've made over the years. Check out my website for more videos, and higher quality version of the videos here."

Last edited:
Call me crazy, and well, as much as I love srb2, if this were to be finished, I personally think this would be better than Srb2.
It's just S3&K with flashy graphics. The novelty of "hey, this looks good" quickly wears off once you notice it's just the same damn game you've been playing for seventeen years now.

I'd love to try it. It's the game I love to play every once in a while, and it'd be nice to do it with updated graphics. As a 3D port, the only way this game could drops down points is if there are buggy areas or some parts are different than the original.

Also, from the video submitter's channel: "Here's a collection of 3D videos I've made over the years. Check out my website for more videos, and higher quality version of the videos here."

I don't think it's a port. Just a video unfotunately D:

This is Sonic & Knuckles, not Sonic 3K, yes, it´s a big difference, even if it´s just a video.

Either way, it looks way too much like an animation rather than a game itself.

Yes, it is an animation. However, I'm wondering how you reached the conclusion that the video itself looks more like an animation rather than a game. (I'm not trying to be condescending, I just don't see how you could tell that from just from the video itself).

Yes, it is an animation. However, I'm wondering how you reached the conclusion that the video itself looks more like an animation rather than a game. (I'm not trying to be condescending, I just don't see how you could tell that from just from the video itself).
Possibly because of how the "Player" is moving.

Possibly because of how the "Player" is moving.
REALLY? No, I'm serious. This is an age of technological advancement where CG characters now have unique movements for every action (see Uncharted) and now capable of changing the way you play (see Epic Mickey) yet this looks more like animtion than a game because of how well animated Sonic is?

That is a twisted perception of modern hardware's capabilities.

However, since the guy isn't involved with game programming, this unfortunately is just an animation unless he was working with a programmer, but since he has made no mention of that it is safe to assume that it's simply a really awesome animation project and nothing more.

It looks good, but even if it were a game and not a movie clip it's only adding new graphics to the table. SRB2 isn't a remake, it's a completely different game.

You know what? I'm just going to leave this here, because I am absolutely fed up with all the reactions this video is getting.

[22:52] * %Inuyasha headdesks repetitively.
[22:53] <%Inuyasha> Am I the only person in the world who realizes that the Sonic 3K 2 1/2d remake video would not be possible to make into a real game?
[22:53] <%Inuyasha> ANYWHERE
[22:54] <%Inuyasha> EVERYONE is like "olololol why don't we fire everyone at SEGA and do this instead of Sonic 4"
[22:54] <%Inuyasha> Sonic interacts with background objects in Sonic 3&K.
[22:55] <%Inuyasha> There is no fucking way to pull that off in a 2 1/2d plane without awkwardness coming into play
[22:55] <%Inuyasha> Even in the goddamn video Sonic moves to the background to jump on a mushroom
[22:56] <%Inuyasha> You can't do things like this without things going horribly fucking wrong
[22:56] <%Inuyasha> and everyone goes "lol non issue"
[22:56] <+Kita> It could be done so that the mushroom HEAD is in the foreground, and the stalk is in the back.
[22:57] * +Kita shrugs.
[22:57] <+Kita> Kita will not question it, though.
[22:57] <+Kita> Because it would be awkward, surely.
[22:57] <+Kita> :3
[22:57] * %Inuyasha nods.
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> and consider that ... those mushrooms are scattered all over Mushroom Hill
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> ...hence the name.
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> An entire zone of awkward?
[22:58] <%Inuyasha> That shit doesn't fly.

Don't even get me started on other zones...

Last edited:
The video description even says it's just an animation and not actually a game. Learn to expand and read the video description, guys.

All this hubbub over a stupid video.

At the time this topic was posted, I don't believe that was in the description. IIRC it was just one line long.

It might look nice but it seems I like Sonic 4's graphics more, especially Splash Hill's Waterfalls. The Sonic model is a bit yuck though.

"Mushroom Hill Zone from Sonic & Knuckles recreated in widescreen 3D. As others have pointed out, this is just a video, and not a playable game. It was animated over an actual gameplay video of S&K that I recorded. It was designed as a graphical demo to see how well classic Sonic gameplay and level design would adapt to 2.5D.

This was made over the course of about 2-3 weeks from scratch inbetween other work (excluding render times, which were fairly short anyway).

Created with 3DS Max and composited in Adobe After Effects."

This isn't a game. Just a video. Failure to read description and assuming it is a game isn't cool, Eliwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back