• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Motobug (A Progress Report)

Voidy2246

✨ Collaborator ✨
Hey there, it's Voidy! With a new year comes a new character, this time being the infamous Motobug! While my New Years resolution includes not using my laptop as much as I did last year, he's fairly simplistic gameplay-wise. Thus, he shouldn't take too long even when alternating between laptop days and non-laptop days. That being said, enjoy the progress!

1/5/2023 - Stand sprites are done. I used the legacy Motobug sprites in Badnik Pack DX as a base. I also figured that I'd make him in FL Chan's sprite style, because why not? Thankfully, he's roughly the same size as Sonic, so I won't have to do any SF_HIRES shenanigans this time.
Screenshot 2023-01-05 160924.png

1/7/2023 - Wait sprites done. He do be sleepin' tho.
Sleep.gif

1/9/2023 - One of the good things about being a Motobug is that I only had to do one extra frame for the walk. As for the vibration effect, that was done by slightly decreasing the normal offset.
Walk.gif

1/11/2023 - Run sprites are done. Though, you'll barely see them unless you pick up a Super Sneakers. Alternatively, it'll also play as your Spindash animation.
Run.gif

1/13/2023 - Roll sprites are done. Won't show them off in-game cuz I don't wanna ruin the surprise(s) ;)
Screenshot 2023-01-13 132016.png

1/15/2023 - Even though his jump works like Sonic & co., I still wanted to give him unique jump sprites obviously based on the ROM hacks.
srb20000.gif

1/17/2023 - Decided to get the ride sprites done while I still had the extended canvas size from the jump sprites. Even though the ROM Hacks have him use the pincers, I took a more creative route with this. I massively decreased the offset so that it'd actually look like it's the claw holding onto stuff. Also did the spring and gasp sprites by copy-pasting one of the frames for his run sprites.
srb20000.gif

1/19/2023 - Pain AND fall sprites done. There's a reason why I made him spin out in the pain animation.
srb20000.gif

srb20001.gif

1/21/2023 - Edge sprites are done. All that's left are the NIGHTS sprites and everything involving menus/HUD.
srb20003.gif

Last edited:
This is a continuation of the thread.

1/23/2023 - Menu/HUD sprites are done. You can't see the Life that well, but it's supposed to be a tire.
Screenshot 2023-01-23 174559.png

Screenshot 2023-01-23 174625.png
Screenshot 2023-01-23 174710.png

srb20006.gif

1/25/2023 - With that, all of the base sprites are done! Like with how Kiryu recruits Majima, Motobug recruits a special friend who you may remember if you've seen Garrulous64's Motobug videos.
srb20007.gif

But of course, don't think I'm done just yet! I may end the progress report here, but that's because the rest of the sprites are things I wanna keep a surprise for the official release! Still, it won't take too long. Though, if you do wanna see more sprites and stuff from me, then you can join this thread in the Discord! I'll be glad to have you around!

For those of you that have been following the thread up to this point, thank you! I really appreciate the support so far!

Alas, I shall catch you on the flip!

Last edited:
they look great it would be cool if their spindash worked like the super peelout and maybe puts them into boost mode but they look great!

they look great it would be cool if their spindash worked like the super peelout and maybe puts them into boost mode but they look great!
Thank you! Also, it actually does work like the SPO where you'll still be vulnerable while doing it. But boost mode, I'm not too sure about yet. He'll still have a couple of surprises, so I'll wait to see how those are recieved.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back