Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just online with Charybdizs, he said he's already started porting. The map backup being used is 3 days old as of Time-of-Post. Any progress since then will likely be lost.

I still don't see why we need to move to a new map when the central issue was that the old map wasn't ported correctly - an issue I've already managed to fix on my end.

Charyb mentioned this to other guys before your "fix"- and so a lot of people took this oppurtunity to ask for stuff from the old map they want to be ported. He told me there's literally list of stuff. Also a lot of people say the current seed is... meh.

I don't think it's that bad, although it is admittedly a bit flat. Still, that'll probably be better once you wander into new chunks.

To answer your question, Shadowhog...

#1: When I brought up the subject of porting to a new seed, your fix hadn't been found.

#2: There was generally a positive reception of the idea, even after your fix there still is.

#3: The old world is not very interesting. Even compared to the first world, pre 1.1, the current one is very dull. I have been at the far boundaries of the map. Sure, it gets cool, but that's way out there, and it's inevitable that all action will lie around Sapphire Town.

#4: Why not? We get new, more exciting terrain, with the splendid bonus of all our sweat and tears being ported! I haven't heard a good reason why we shouldn't yet.

It's worth mentioning that I think we could make a better world start, anyways. I'm a big fan of REALLY COOL minecraft worlds, and the one we have now is mediocre. I hope in the new one we can encourage people to go off and start their own cities, instead of starting in the spawn and ending up right in the city. If people are more strict about how many people they let build in their cities, I think we can get an interesting commerce going, most especially if the cities are drastically different in terrain. Obviously a port city will not be a farming city, and a forest city is not a cave city. Imagine if we had colonies that devoted themselves to different purposes! It might be wishful thinking on our parts, but it's worth a shot.

But as for Project Exodus itself. Or so I have named it.

Just keeping you all updated on this. I couldn't do much in the way of actual porting for quite a while for a number of reasons.
Firstly, I needed the maps to port from. Furyhunter gave them to me though, so I'm set in that regard.
Secondly, I needed a map to port to. It took a while to find a good seed, but after some discussion with a few members, of whom Ezer.Arch was an angel, I've found the one to use.
Thirdly, I needed to know what to port. I've gotten ahold of pretty much everyone on my list though, so I think I'm good in that regard also.
Fourthly, I needed to understand worldedit and how to install it. I just completed that, so now remains simply the process of porting.
Porting will be the last and final step. I will port the needed structures to good locations in the map, and hand it off to Furyhunter!

So there's just this one last step. I plan to get a start on it tonight, we'll see where it gets.

Yeah, but this is like the fifth time we've changed maps. I'm getting tired of it. :|

Well, unless Jeb really screws up the engine again, this should be our last time. I can see us going real far with this world

I honestly liked our previous world because we had actual towns we started ourselves, and not just the ones built on top of villages. We found a big forest and managed to clear it all up and make it into a civilization. That's the fun part of Minecraft servers.

^

That's also one of the reasons I dislike the current server. What we have is basically built on a boring flatlands, just because an NPC village happened to be there. The best part of making your own city is that you get to build it in a cool place. When you build on top of an NPC village, it's just plains. The pre 1.1 server was a bit better in this regards, with Iceville being in the forest valley and all... Heck, and even if Sapphire Town there was built on an NPC town, it was at least in a surprisingly cool place, with the mountains around and all.

Heck, and even if Sapphire Town there was built on an NPC town, it was at least in a surprisingly cool place, with the mountains around and all.
OfRtP.png

Is this place fitting? :3

I heard some people on server that Iceville was nice but disorganized while Sapphire Town was pretty organized but cramped; of course I'm talking about the towns in the old server.

While I think the current Sapphire City turned out better (the older one looked like a rural village with a suburban extension towards the station) with parks in and around the city, personally I don't like the way how people use entire lot to build their houses. Almost all houses in the city are squared boxes with lots of unused space in them. The city looks like a bunch of fruit boxes and there are lots of narrow and dark corridors between the houses (hostile mobs like it). Some houses has almost no windows because others walls around block the view, and other buildings have windows around but the space in front of them is too tight.

If people want to avoid the "crampness", that's my recommendation: If the lot has plenty of room, the owner should leave some space next to the the walls that has windows and some space for a front- or backyard. The lots should be at least 12 blocks wide and the streets 7 blocks wide. The city shouldn't be crowded: the buildings must be a bit dispersed (not as much as Iceville), forcing people walk a few more and allowing them to walk "between" the buildings. Some parks between the residential blocks help a lot.

As for my stuffs, well, I'm giving up everything. All my work was infrastructure maintenance, I haven't built anything monumental.
Thinking better, I'd like to know if at least my chests can be ported (I still don't care about my buildings, though). There are lots of material that I legitimately gathered that can be of some use in the new world. I have enough material for a 500-block long railroad, besides other stuff. If it's of any help, I can group the useful material in an only chest and take the garbage off.

OfRtP.png

Is this place fitting? :3

Might be, but I didn't end up using that seed. :p
Not my decision either, I showed a few people the maps you gave me and asked them to make their minds, because I couldn't, and they universally chose the other.

Thinking better, I'd like to know if at least my chests can be ported (I still don't care about my buildings, though). There are lots of material that I legitimately gathered that can be of some use in the new world. I have enough material for a 500-block long railroad, besides other stuff. If it's of any help, I can group the useful material in an only chest and take the garbage off.

Knowing how much you actually will use that stuff to build, I'll go out of my way to do that. If you had been like "SAVE MY DIAAAAMONDS" I might have said to suck it up. Where are the chests? In your sapphire house? :p

And no, you actually couldn't group it in one chest, because I'm copying from a 3 day old backup of the world. I'd have to do it.

Now let me take this moment to say WorldEdit is tedious. I probably should have got SinglePlayerCommands to make it a little easier than loading different worlds in and out of my server every time, to bring things. It also would have stopped someone from getting temporarily banned from my server! :3

He told me he's pretty much finished. If all goes well he should send the map to Fury tomorrow, so the new map should go online in the next couple of days.
Also I didn't quite get how to fix the lighthouse by your explanation, can you help me with that when the server's online? :X

Maybe I should just send you the video I found instead m-r.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azHOdlk5azE

I also found another way which uses an infinitely circling minecart with a detector rail hooked to a piston to create the needed block update. This one is more reliable than the pulsar method, but it creates a constant piston noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XEmHHT6tTc
The thing about this one is that I think it's not necessary to use a piston, you could just hook up some redstone wiring in the same fashion as the first video to restart the clock.

We know changes to the current map will not be saved, so we might as well go take a look and figure it out so you know exactly what to do as soon the new map is online.

Edit: I took a look at the design of your lighthouse and I noticed it's very flawed, mainly due to the fact that the circuit that powers the top part is too cramped up and there's not enough space to work with. I built my own version on my single player creative map, but I had to modify the design of the lights to make it work, you should take a look at it, here's the save: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72448671/Lighthouse.zip

I also figured out why your clock fails all the time, it's not a conventional self powered clock :s

Last edited:
Good news, the map is ready.
Bad news, Fury is never on when Charybdizs is so they can't install it to the server.

Really, all you'd need to do is make sure somebody who'd be on when both people are on (not necessarily at once) has the link, so he can act as a courier.

Your Castle isn't dead. You'd just have to find me a spot to port it to. But if, as you've said, you want to restart it, then okay. Be my guest.

I'm liking this new map even more than I thought I would. Most of my previous exploration was flying over it, but on a down to earth level, it's filled with some awesome terrain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back