Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ezer: I know the current town hall of Sapphire City is ugly, but I am waiting to figure out what is going on with the server's map before I go in and fix it up. Not to mention the version it is running is outdated and all, so I would need to downgrade to it so I could play. But I still have plans on how to make it look better, but it will take time to break down the portal and enchantment table.

Oh and Ezer.Arch,how did ya see the full map then,screenshot it?
You don't know, but let me tell you a secret: I and some scientists launched a Geostationary Minecraft Orbit satellite which takes high-definition images of our little world from the space...

Just kidding.

Well, it's impossible to fly that high to take screenshots as well as any computer might melt down trying to render a map like that. Some tools like Cartograph G can render images from MC maps.

Glade Village? I'm going to assume you didn't like my name for the village.
D:
I have the impression we had a "clash" here. When you had chosen a name (I'm not wrong, it was "Snowland" or "Snow Valley"), I and Chrome had too and we placed some signs with our chosen name. But I wouldn't mind changing it if other people suggest or ask for a name change. I prefer the names the people give rather than the ones I come up with.

Ezer: I know the current town hall of Sapphire City is ugly, but I am waiting to figure out what is going on with the server's map before I go in and fix it up.
Hehe... I almost put my hands on Sapphire City's town hall to enlarge the entrance and make a new room where a wheat farm is located. But, I wasn't sure if it would be fair doing it while you had been away. Instead, I made some gardening around before some crazy guy builds something there.

As for the server: since the srb2.org went down the day before yesterday, the MC server's been unreachable.

Not to mention the version it is running is outdated and all, so I would need to downgrade to it so I could play.
If I remember correctly, the server was running an outdated version because there's no up-to-date Bukkit, which is our safety against griefing. What allowed me to join an outdated server was keeping various versions of minecraft in my hard-disk: one of them is "minecraft.jar" and the others are "minecraft_<version number>.jar". If I want to join our server, firstly I rename "minecraft.jar" to "minecraft_1.2.4.jar" then I rename "minecraft_1.1.jar" to "minecraft.jar", server is joinable again. (EDIT: I could hand out my *.jar files if someone wants, including the one for MC server and the other that has Train Mod in it.)

Also, I think I sounded mean about "/me waves to SC's major". If you felt offended by that, please forgive me if I did.

But I still have plans on how to make it look better, but it will take time to break down the portal and enchantment table.
If you want me to help, feel free to ask. :)

Last edited:
I have the impression we had a "clash" here. When you had chosen a name (I'm not wrong, it was "Snowland" or "Snow Valley"), I and Chrome had too and we placed some signs with our chosen name. But I wouldn't mind changing it if other people suggest or ask for a name change. I prefer the names the people give rather than the ones I come up with.

Yeah, a bit of a clash I think. The name I came up with was actually "Snowvale", the village being right next to some snowlands, after all. Last I had talked to you, the place was under a placeholder name or something like that. I figured Glade was just that placeholder name. If it wasn't ignore me. Glade Village it is!

*looks at Ezer's iso map*

Teehee, the burger I made is a landmark now :D

If I remember correctly, the server was running an outdated version because there's no up-to-date Bukkit, which is our safety against griefing.
Yeah, Bukkit's really dragging their feet here. AFAIK, there isn't even a good beta version for 1.2.4.

I swear, it'll be 1.3 before we're ready to roll on an up-to-date version again. At least then, with any luck, Bukkit will be standard.

...You guys really can't just leave villages alone, can you? You have to take their houses and reshape them. Are you guys too lazy to start a city from scratch or something?
Leave the Testificates alone ;~;

No Testificates were harmed during the reconstruction of Gale Village. A few of the villagers have decided that they would rather live elsewhere, and ran off. I managed to find one in a snowy area near the village, and tried to convince him to come back, but he wasn't listening to reason.

I started a new world in MC 1.2.4. I'm pretty much loving it.

T1rgQ.png

I noticed the weather change is a bit smoother. Vines on walls are climbable.

The hostile mobs are pretty smarter now. They can avoid obstacles and fall damage. Creepers are way smarter: they go for you, if they realize you're safe (locked the door or climbed a tree), they start to wander around calmly as if they were unharmful, go away for a while until you're unsafe again...

oTiKg.png

Mqjbi.png

oa6Wp.png

oEmlL.png

WXBlF.png

I played tag and hide&seek with a creeper.

5p6zx.png

zQgtM.png

owC4Y.png

Much fun for minutes, until...
4oCck.png

uGDAg.png
-----------

...You guys really can't just leave villages alone, can you? You have to take their houses and reshape them. Are you guys too lazy to start a city from scratch or something?
Leave the Testificates alone ;~;
AWWW! I should have left that village untouchable, a complete mess, with 2 houses buried under 3 or 4 layers of dirt, doors locked and a half of population stuck in their houses forever. But it took almost forever to bring that lost-spot-that-noone-has-found-in-a-said-full-explored-map to a civilizatory standard. D:<

You should've called me a hero, but no! You called me lazy. How ungrateful of you!

/soap-opera-drama

Joking aside. I agree we should build cities from scratch, the spawn point is a good place. Also, if we plan to extend the railroad to somewhere, we could build small towns along the path and, from what I heard, we can transplant some villagers and populate these places.

But... first we need to check how the server will turn out on MC 1.2.4, since it uses a new world format, Anvil, and the climate system was...say, "improved". Then, expect some climate change.

So are we gonna use a new map for the 1.2.4 server...?
Also, I find the new AI wierd sometimes. Mobs sometimes will force themselves to look for a "legit" path while sometimes it IS easier (and no damage included) to just go towards me. Also Creepers, Zombies and Spiders no longer get angry at Skeletons for shooting at them. For some reason Skeletons DO get angry on other Skeletons... how odd.

I noticed the weather change is a bit smoother.
I don't believe that's new; the weather change has been fairly smooth in SP for a while now. It's in MP that it's still sudden. IIRC, the clouds also get darker for thunderstorms in SP, but look the same as normal rainstorms in MP.

But... first we need to check how the server will turn out on MC 1.2.4, since it uses a new world format, Anvil, and the climate system was...say, "improved". Then, expect some climate change.
Actually, already-generated chunks should retain their current biomes this time around. It's only when you cross the threshold of generated to ungenerated that you'll see sudden climate change.

Either way, we have Bukkit for 1.2.4 now, so it's only a matter of time.

So are we gonna use a new map for the 1.2.4 server...?
I really hope not, since it shouldn't be necessary. Just extend the radius so we can explore new chunks.

However, just as a cautionary note, it appears the best way to do the upgrade is for Fury or somebody with access to the map to DL it, convert it locally instead of on the server, and then upload the converted map. I hope that doesn't cause you to lose your stuff, though (I'm not really sure how MC handles that sort of thing).

Last edited:
Actually, already-generated chunks should retain their current biomes this time around. It's only when you cross the threshold of generated to ungenerated that you'll see sudden climate change.
Well, I'm not sure about it. I created a world when I had bought MC 1.7.4. Even within the "already-generated chunks", some things have changed so far:

1) I don't remember I had built this house on an ocean (see video).
sT5vA.png

2) Does this place look like a swampland?
p8G8X.png

3) This was a very greenish forest, now the leaves took a dead-looking brownish color: it's considered a desert.
z5Mcw.png

4) This place was a warm and greenish place, then it froze, and now the ice is vanishing.
fRUVx.png

Our server had something like this: the spawn point was a pine-tree forest, then, after 1.0 release, it started to snow in that place.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen from 1.1 -> 1.2, though. I dunno, give it a try, see what you get. I know the biomes did change on our seed (for instance, our spawn didn't just go from a pine forest to snow; it's a jungle now), so new chunks will definitely have some odd transitions, but that's not at question - what's at question is whether the existing chunks will change biomes suddenly, or whether Jens's assertion that biomes are saved to the chunks is present in this format conversion.

Shadow Hog said:
. . .our spawn didn't just go from a pine forest to snow; it's a jungle now

Oh man. . . that means my mole home is gonna be surrounded with vines and tall trees. Might even see some kitties too XD

If biomes do change, I'm curious as to what my beach lighthouse will become. And I wonder, will even oceans change? I would laugh my face off if my underwater city, Iliad, became a subterranean city. Or even just froze over in a taiga biome.

Oceans don't change.

Anyway, sorry to say, but Ezer was right on the money. Sapphire is now a taiga (read: snow) town, with little specks of desert in it.

What's weird is that we're in the middle of a snowstorm, and some blocks are rain and others snow. So it's effectively doing both at once. Very surreal.

Anyway, sorry to say, but Ezer was right on the money. Sapphire is now a taiga (read: snow) town, with little specks of desert in it.
But still, this is an experiment with SP maps. We still don't know if the same happens in MP (although I think it's likely to happen....).

I think we'll have some fun witnessing how a climate change turns out in Minecraft.

What worries me most is snow in desert. This is ugly as a sin.

Oh man. . . that means my mole home is gonna be surrounded with vines and tall trees. Might even see some kitties too XD
No. This "climate change" won't physically change anything in the game, I mean blocks being replaced by others. The terrain isn't touched at all. But, the effects bound to weather and biomes: yes, such as, leaves and vines color, grass texture, water surface being frozen (water freezes only if on contact with a solid block), rain and snowfall, and biome-dependent mob spawning, like ocelots and wolves.

So be happy, you're gonna win a kitty.

Ezer, what I was saying was what happened when Fury updated the map and reuploaded it. Sapphire is Taiga now.

I'm inquiring around to see if there's a way to redo the update while keeping the original biomes, but I don't feel especially hopeful.

I dunno, it's quite cool, it makes the map look like some sort of apocalyptic event happened. The Crater Desert quite near the spawn is now The Frozen Crater Desert.

2012-03-31_23.13.33.png

A frozen port.

2012-03-31_23.18.33.png

A frozen town, banished from the light of the summer sun.

2012-03-31_23.19.14.png

An incongruous mess of rain and snow, summer and winter.

2012-03-31_23.20.01.png

A lonely lighthouse, in what was once a tropical location, a favored destination for tourists.

2012-03-31_23.20.13.png

A royal mess.

2012-03-31_23.28.56.png

A monstrosity.

2012-03-31_23.29.55.png

A struggling farmer's melancholy.

By now, I am sure that you are horrified. "What is this?" you might ask. "How did it happen?" you exclaim. "Do something!" you plead.

This, my brethren, is what remains of our fair world of server.srb2.org:7175. Once, it was a home to many residents. Testificates frolicked in the abundant sunlight, humans explored and built beautiful structures out of stone and lapis. A mighty civilization. Out of this land came brave and courageous men, men strong enough to venture to the very Ends of the world, men valiant enough to face the fearsome Enderdragon, and put an end to it's cruel rain of fire.

Today... these legends are but a ghostly whisper among the post-apocalyptic wastelands. The 1.2.4 update, and the demise of our world was a shock to us all. As we watched the first of the eternal snowflakes fall on our home, we mused on how pretty they were. But they never stopped falling.

These were not the only consequences. For some, the eternal snowflakes were too much too handle, and their minds, incapable of processing them all, slowed their movement to a crawl. They creep around the landscape, uncapable of seeing where they are going. They fall into pits, get slaughtered by monsters, or burn themselves in fiery lakes. Let us not even speak of the living deathtrap that is the Nether. 1.2.4 has frowned upon us, and doomed some of us to laggy, fiery deaths. I myself barely escaped it's wrath.

Now, I wander the lands, searching for hope, and a future. The world I loved is no more. I seek to bring answers to my fellow countrymen, answers that can restore our world to it's former glory.

And now! I bring news! I have found an answer!

Ahem. Joking aside. The state of the Minecraft server after the 1.2.4 update is positively atrocious.

Snow biomes make up most of the world, even being in places that are absolutely unfitting for snow. As in, Sapphire Town, the Spawn Desert, the ocean, and many other places. A simple boatride over the ocean (if you can find a place that isn't iced over) will show that one block is ocean, one extreme hills, and the next river. And again and again. Though that fact may not be dehabilitating to the server, it is a good example of just how much the transfer screwed up the map. Though it's too early to be sure, this will likely have a drastic impact on the spawning of hostile and friendly mobs.

Biomes don't seem to be the only problem, either. A number of us have experienced massive framerate drops in the Nether, as a result of the conversion. In fact, I confess with full confidence that I was quite literally sucked into the lava multiple times. I have my sister, who was watching the game and saw it too, as my witness. As much good as that does, it at least shows I wasn't just blaming my death on the game.

As far as I can tell, unless a better porting method shows up, our world is doomed to a messy future. That is why I have a proposition.

My proposition is this:

A new map. But wait! A new map discourages creativity, because any length of time spent working on a project is ultimately wasted when the new update comes. If only there were a way around it... Perhaps there is?

As of the update to the map format, WorldEdit no longer works, or so I have been told. But, knowing the Minecraft community, it shan't be long until it updates, or another such utility pops up. When such a thing happens, I propose we use it to copy these projects out, to a new and fresh world. I think it would be a benefit to us all, actually. There were great structures in both our current world and the last one. Imagine the best of both worlds, (bad pun) in a fresh and new world! Of course, we can't shove all this work on Furyhunter, the server administrator. He doesn't deserve that. And such being the case, I would gladly do it myself. Quite naturally, I'd need both the previous maps, so that I could copy the structures from them. You know, things like Iceman's Tower, The Coatrack, Iliad, Zarro's Castle, Instantaneous' Castle, Chaos Island. Obviously before such, we would need to get ahold of who wanted to keep what. Porting the entire towns would be silly, because there are a number of undesirable buildings in both Iceville and past and present Sapphire. I'd port what people wanted, and nothing else. Again, the best of both worlds. Everyone's hard earned buildings, and a fresh new landscape.

Another problem would be where to port it to in the new world, but that too I have a solution for. I pride myself in my eye for location, and with a little guidance from each structure's respective owner as to what type of area they would like it situated in, I think I could satisfy everyone.

This plan rests on three things:

#1: Furyhunter's Approval.

#2: Approval from a majority of the players.

#3: The release of a world editing tool.

So, give the idea a spin. What are your opinions on it? Good? Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back