Jet Metal Sonic

[Open Assets] Jet Metal Sonic Revised version 1.0.3

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Zarosguth

Ammonium chloride is my favourite ionic compound.
Zarosguth submitted a new resource:

Jet Metal Sonic - Jet Metal Sonic charges up and blasts off!

Jet Metal Sonic (JMS) is my first SRB2 addon and has been a ton of fun to work on. I hope people will enjoy playing with it as much as I enjoyed making it.

FEATURES:
JMS's main feature is the Charge Abilities, moves that are charged up to improve their effects.

You can read the details here:
CHARGING
View attachment 76899

Pressing...

Read more about this resource...

I found some bugs

1 - when using homing thok more than 3 times (i guess) makes him stuck in that state until you get hit

2 - his sprites get weird but i dont know how it got like that

Attachments

• srb20028.gif
    srb20028.gif
    378.1 KB · Views: 128
  • srb20027.gif
    srb20027.gif
    2 MB · Views: 109
1664160516403.png

greatest character with no flaws whatsoever.
also the only bug i encountered would be
stomping in this section from thz2 making him w i d e
Post automatically merged:

or either, long whatever

I was in for a last surprise when I found out Jet Metal managed to land into Releases. Awesome work! Really liked where this character was going. I'll definetly take him for a spin later today.

I actually really like this character but certainly bumped into some things with my main playthrough. Bugs I found are as follows:

- The homing attack has no failsafe timer or "bonk code", so it's possible to get softlocked from trying to home in on things in certain instances (namely the CEZ3 boss and other things behind walls)
- The squash and stretch on the stomp does not properly reset from a LOT of different things (goop, carry types, etc.)
- The charge ability itself can be activated while hanging on ropes/being carried (seems to not account for carry types)
- I managed to trigger an error with the homing attack after somehow rolling from it and destroying the badnik before I actually homed in on it?; CL_JetMetalSonic-v1.pk3|Lua/JMS_Homing.lua:92: attempt to index local 't' (a nil value)

I also have only like... two quality of life suggestions. Firstly, I feel it may be fair to consider letting Jet Metal have reduced charge times if he has speed shoes, regular charge times end up clashing with shoe speed just a tad. I also find it odd that he can't break spikes, but other than those two relatively small things he's already pretty solid and really fun.

srb20006.gif

i didn't notice this bug until i realized whenever i charge the bounce on something Jet Metal gets wider....

Wanted to keep my little ... I don't wanna call 'em nitpicks? They're not exactly nitpicks. Just like, "Ahh, it'd be nice if this were a bit different, but I don't really mind it the way it is!"... Wanted to keep those kinda comments out of my review, so here I am, lol

... really, without echoing anyone else's sentiments it just comes down to "man, kinda weird they don't have boost mode." I recall during dev JMS had a Rush Mode that got scrapped, and I think that's fair cuz it does kinda mess with their flow, but having no method of increasing ground speed (momentum mods notwithstanding) does feel a bit... off, to me. That said, I do think it's fine that way overall, but I feel like some kind of trade-off (aside from the charge abilities, i.e., a small increase to their base groundspeed) would work.

... also, they should be able to break the ACZ2 minecart doors, but every character should be able to do that. while super, at the very least.

(I don't like that forced minecart section.)

Nothing else pops to mind right away! I thought non-super JMS couldn't bust walls and floors but based on the overview I'm no longer sure of that (I tried to bust that one little wall in DSZ2, the one by the crab and the ring monitor that has the force shield, and it didn't work but I mighta just been too close to the wall?), so that's all my criticism, if I can even call it that. Looking forward to whatever you make next!

Oh, but one more thing. Is Super JMS supposed to be a little greenish? I recall you mentioned colorblindness at some point in the WIP thread, so I just wanna make sure it's the color you intended!

Something I forgot to add to me review is that I feel like the Homing Thok should target more than just enemies, as in springs, monitors, that sort of thing. A way to swap around inputs for the charges would be nice as well, as letting go of WASD to stomp feels a bit awkward when I want to move straight after. A great mod regardless

Zarosguth updated Jet Metal Sonic with a new update entry:

Tweaks & bug fixes

Tweaks:
  • The Jet Metal Settings menu now contains an option to switch the inputs for the Charge Jump and the Charge Stomp,
  • Homing Thok stops when movement is blocked,
  • Charge Thok can now break strong breakable walls (Knuckles walls) and spikes (floor, ceiling and wall),
  • JMS can no longer target Metal Sonic with the homing thok.
Bug fixes:
  • Charge Stomp's squash and stretch should properly reset now when entering THZ goo or being carried in some fashion...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Double update?! Whoa!

I managed to finish just another thing for today so here's another update. Don't expect them to always happen this quickly!

New feature: JMS can now use the Charge Thok (when fully charged) to break saloon doors in ACZ2.

Bug fix: going into a carried state while charging will now cancel the charge.

Also, I forgot to mention two things regarding the previous update (I will edit the previous entry to reflect these as well):
  • Charge Jump now deals damage on the way up...

Hmm, stomping on a spike causes you to e l o n g a t e like before. I think it might have something to do with the hurt animation.

Attachments

• srb20005.gif
    srb20005.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 66
1664231145804.png

Meant to report on this last night, oops.
This one angle of the dash sprites is missing some black on his shoe in the back, so I'd suggest combing through sprites at some point to see where else you may have missed the paint job -v-

The new updates with reduced charge for shoes is awesome by the way, I didn't expect it to get changed that fast.

Minor tweak & bug fix

Very small update:
I fixed the squash and stretch not resetting when getting hurt and I tweaked the saloon door breaking code to have JMS bounce off of the door as it breaks, similar to how he bounces off of bustable walls and floors.

I feel like this is something I should address as a few people have brought up JMS feeling slow on the ground or a Metal Sonic without dash mode feeling weird.

During development I toyed with a custom dash mode and even made my own version of Rush Mode based on the mode of the same name for Blaze in the RushChars addon (great stuff by the way, check it out if you somehow haven't yet). Eventually, I dropped this because as the saying goes: "less is more". But considering the interest some people have expressed in a dash mode, I am reconsidering my stance.

Currently I plan to write another custom dash mode, this time trying to focus on interaction and synergy with Charge Abilities as that is still the core of JMS's moveset design. I am making no promises, but I will give it an honest attempt.

View attachment 76992
Meant to report on this last night, oops.
This one angle of the dash sprites is missing some black on his shoe in the back, so I'd suggest combing through sprites at some point to see where else you may have missed the paint job -v-

The new updates with reduced charge for shoes is awesome by the way, I didn't expect it to get changed that fast.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't fix that for the most recent update but I'll make sure to fix it in the next update.

Last edited:
Well I'm
I feel like this is something I should address as a few people have brought up JMS feeling slow on the ground or a Metal Sonic without dash mode feeling weird.

During development I toyed with a custom dash mode and even made my own version of Rush Mode based on the mode of the same name for Blaze in the RushChars addon (great stuff by the way, check it out if you somehow haven't yet). Eventually, I dropped this because as the saying goes: "less is more". But considering the interest some people have expressed in a dash mode, I am reconsidering my stance.

Currently I plan to write another custom dash mode, this time trying to focus on interaction and synergy with Charge Abilities as that is still the core of JMS's moveset design. I am making no promises, but I will give it an honest attempt.
Well, I'm greatly looking forward to seeing what you come up with. A dashmode that manages to add to the flow and chain of movement that JMS has sounds awesome

Strange little thing I've found, a fully charged dash destroys spikes that are directly below you, even though you aren't anywhere near them.

Attachments

• srb20006.gif
    srb20006.gif
    5.7 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Dash Mode? Dash Mode!

JMS Version 1.3 is here, and it is a pretty sizeable update!

New features:
  • Customized Dash Mode:
    View attachment 77196
    Like vanilla, Dash Mode is built up by moving at high enough speed or charging a spindash.
    If fully built up via spindash, releasing the spindash immediately uncurls JMS.
    While Dash Mode is active, normalspeed gradually increases up to a cap.
    Normalspeed caps out at +33%, not very high but a noticeable increase...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back