• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Jam Sonic Thread (previously YAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The design could use some work. If he’s inspired by the saturn games you should maybe use some design choices from them. Moveset plan?
The old design (YAS before the thread edit) is scrapped, and now I will make sprites accurate to the Jam artwork. The new moveset is yet to be planned but I did start making the new physics for him

So... I have decided to post this proof of concept script (DO NOT REUSE OR STEAL).
Why? Because I have recieved very mixed opinions on the GIFs I posted in the Discord, and I'm not sure if it even feels right or if the values were scaled correctly from the Genesis pixels to FRACUNITs, and I do know if it's good or not is based on personal preferences, so I really need criticism.
So far, this does not have slope support and there are lots bugs, keep in mind I am not requesting bug testers, I only want opinons.

If I catch you hosting or using or editing this, i will snap your neck
Post automatically merged:

Personally, I am very proud of what I did so far, I am having a lot of fun messing around with it! It took me a lot of effort to figure out some ground physics math, but I think it was worth it...

I have concluded the only flaw with this is the lack of turning physics, resulting in extremely slippery turning at high speeds. So yes, I do need to tweak them a bit to work in 3D.
However I am extremely sick now so I can't do progress for now, additionally I have no idea how turning physics should be done.
I think air physics are fine thought.
If you can help or have more flaws to point out, feel free to reply to the thread.
I haven't started on the sprites yet either, however the art style might look similar to Starlight's sprite which can be found by digging in the CS.

Attachments

• jam.lua
    5.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Ok so I made the custom turning physics. I also started doing the A1 stand. I decided to scrap the custom gravity and jumping scripts since the level design does not accomodate for it. Spin physics are placeholder, there's no skidding yet so holding backwards might be ankward, ahd the drawangle code is also placeholder so you might start spinning ankwardly when pushing a wall (it was like this in sa1-sa2 but ehhh im not keeping it). The code is not necessarily a recreation of classic physics anymore, it's more of a combination between classic and sa1 (sonic jam is a sa1 beta so it makes sense for some physics to work like in sa1).
This will be the last beta I put at the public.

Attachments

• jam copy.lua
    7.8 KB · Views: 164
The momentum seems to work well. Although, I shortly found it only works for Sonic after trying to see how, say, pointy sonic would work with the momentum (even though the game would crash on trying to change level with ChrispyChars), which is the only thing I don't like.

it's not meant to play like sonic jam.
howeverrrrrrrr, i think i might redo them/edit them to be less sa1 and more jam/classics later

oh like i forgot about this
so like, i announce jam sonic development is frozen until further notice.
i have a lot of projects to finish first, including SRB2 Heroes, Reminiscences, Hexhog, etc
the current codebase will be scrapped and rewritten from scratch, so it is now free to use with proper credit. it sucks and is bad so yeah i would not mind
i am not very sure if i have enough time, skill and patience to do such sprites in a custom style, but i will be worrying about that later when development is resumed.

Attachments

• jam copy.lua
    7.7 KB · Views: 114
oh like i forgot about this
so like, i announce jam sonic development is frozen until further notice.
i have a lot of projects to finish first, including SRB2 Heroes, Reminiscences, Hexhog, etc
the current codebase will be scrapped and rewritten from scratch, so it is now free to use with proper credit. it sucks and is bad so yeah i would not mind
i am not very sure if i have enough time, skill and patience to do such sprites in a custom style, but i will be worrying about that later when development is resumed.
I can sprite, although I'm also busy. Goodluck with your other projects though. I'm interested in that hexhog mod stuff, care to tell us?

I can sprite, although I'm also busy. Goodluck with your other projects though. I'm interested in that hexhog mod stuff, care to tell us?
Huh? Isn't Hexhog a mod from 2020?

It seems that it was trashed. Luckily, i still have the file.

Hexhog is being rewritten by Solarflare Studios who once had made the original Hexhog. I am currently more focused on Heroes and Reminiscences, however yeah I am part of the Hexhog devteam

Could you send me the PK3 of hexhog?
no

also since I'm here, jam sonic is still in concept fase and development hasn't started yet. development may be started in the future, but currently i barely have the time to update encore or continue heroes development, and this project is very low priority. and even if I did sprite it, i have absolutely no idea how it would play, custom physics is inherently a bad idea because it wouldn't fit the level design and would just feel out of place, and i can't go all complex in moveset either considering Sonic is supposed to be extremely simple (he didn't even have a jump ability in source material) and even then, Sonic has already been done countless times in SRB2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back