Elfilin - Friend from the Forgotten Land

Elfilin - Friend from the Forgotten Land 1.1

Frostiikin

recovering elseif abuser
Judge
Frostiikin submitted a new resource:

Elfilin - Friend from the Forgotten Land - "Teamwork!"

View attachment 95387
(Big thanks to Bendedede for the character art seen on this thread!)

Hey, you! Yeah, you! If you're seeing this, then that means the Elfilin Release Netgame is currently up! Come join us on "Elfilin Release-Party" from the MS!

Elfilin is a very unique character, playing drastically differently to what you'd expect from this game.
I'm not great at writing these threads, so let's just get right in to it, shall we?
...​

Read more about this resource...

they're really fun i like the moves its a little hard to get used to but they're fun! though their assist doesnt seem to work in split screen since every time i try to do it, it says that my friend doesnt have it on and theres no command to turn it on for the second player.

theres a typo in the character select text's jump section

Attachments

• srb20469.png
    srb20469.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 170
srb20001.gif

I don't know if it's because of the level addon that's been loaded, but in replays, the camera following elfilin gets bugged. Are there other possible reasons for this occurence?

What a way to get caught by surprise! I immediately downloaded and tried this when I noticed it was up.
I was thinking of leaving a review (I usually don't build up the courage to do so), but I'm glad I held off, because I noticed at least... One or two things that I feel should be addressed.

First and most important one is that... For some reason, I can't harm Metal Sonic during his boss fight. In single player, he spawns but stays like... Stuck in the air for a few seconds before proceeding as normal, but Elfilin's spear crash cannot interact with him whatsoever. I was able to hit him once I switched off into another character, though (I tested that last part via Multiplayer. In singleplayer it's essentially a softlock). I made sure I only had Elfilin added when reattempting this, and nothing changed.

The 2nd one is... I honestly do not know how to have a good time during Castle Eggman Act 3. Pressing buttons is a chore, it seems Spear Crash will sometimes go through Eggman instead of making me bounce off (I can't damage him from the top, understandably) leading me to rely on the portal in order to escape away lest I crash down into the spiked floor or get trapped by the cage (and softlocked) inside the geometry (Doesn't seem ideal, honestly). I feel this point is less... Objective and maybe I'm just missing something-- very glad you made the spear crash hitbox generous--, but I feel CEZ3 just isn't a fun time at all as Elfilin; almost like I have to play in very specific ways just to get through, which is what I don't like.

In general I also had to... Get used to how he handles; going fast went well enough but slowing down had me do all sorts of stuff just to get through sections I'd get through easy peasy with normal characters (the swinging chains in CEZ in general weren't a good time because you jump the moment you are let go, and for some odd reason Elfilin's floatiness doesn't benefit, causing me to uncomfortably rely on the portals).

In the end I have... Pretty mixed feelings with how Elfilin controls because of how floaty and slippery he is, even though I know that's very much the point of the character. Still, even with that in mind he seems pretty high quality, so... Good job to everyone involved! :wonderful:

Pictured in the gifs: (1) Metal Sonic Battle error. (2) Going through eggman and briefly getting snagged on the cage. (3) Using the swings to try and skip part of the level, but I don't get a jump because the game triggers it the moment I let go of the swings.

srb20016.gif
srb20017.gif
srb20018.gif

What a way to get caught by surprise! I immediately downloaded and tried this when I noticed it was up.
I was thinking of leaving a review (I usually don't build up the courage to do so), but I'm glad I held off, because I noticed at least... One or two things that I feel should be addressed.

First and most important one is that... For some reason, I can't harm Metal Sonic during his boss fight. In single player, he spawns but stays like... Stuck in the air for a few seconds before proceeding as normal, but Elfilin's spear crash cannot interact with him whatsoever. I was able to hit him once I switched off into another character, though (I tested that last part via Multiplayer. In singleplayer it's essentially a softlock). I made sure I only had Elfilin added when reattempting this, and nothing changed.

The 2nd one is... I honestly do not know how to have a good time during Castle Eggman Act 3. Pressing buttons is a chore, it seems Spear Crash will sometimes go through Eggman instead of making me bounce off (I can't damage him from the top, understandably) leading me to rely on the portal in order to escape away lest I crash down into the spiked floor or get trapped by the cage (and softlocked) inside the geometry (Doesn't seem ideal, honestly). I feel this point is less... Objective and maybe I'm just missing something-- very glad you made the spear crash hitbox generous--, but I feel CEZ3 just isn't a fun time at all as Elfilin; almost like I have to play in very specific ways just to get through, which is what I don't like.

In general I also had to... Get used to how he handles; going fast went well enough but slowing down had me do all sorts of stuff just to get through sections I'd get through easy peasy with normal characters (the swinging chains in CEZ in general weren't a good time because you jump the moment you are let go, and for some odd reason Elfilin's floatiness doesn't benefit, causing me to uncomfortably rely on the portals).

In the end I have... Pretty mixed feelings with how Elfilin controls because of how floaty and slippery he is, even though I know that's very much the point of the character. Still, even with that in mind he seems pretty high quality, so... Good job to everyone involved! :wonderful:

Pictured in the gifs: (1) Metal Sonic Battle error. (2) Going through eggman and briefly getting snagged on the cage. (3) Using the swings to try and skip part of the level, but I don't get a jump because the game triggers it the moment I let go of the swings.

View attachment 95425View attachment 95426View attachment 95427
The chain issue is a bug i'm aware of and actually thought I already fixed, I have no idea why it suddenly showed up again just after release...
In regards too the bosses, those two in particular are infamously jank to work with
for some reason, despite me thinking i've fixed it like 3 times at this point, he still immediately jumps when leaving a chain swing, completely ruining his vertical momentum. I really don't know why this of all things is a bug that keeps popping up no matter how many times I squash it, but whatever i'll probably figure something out LOL

CEZ3 I don't think i should really do much about since although annoying, it is still very doable, however i'm honestly considering just instakilling metal sonic if you're an elfilin player because he is genuinely just awful to deal with

both bosses are kinda infamous for breaking everything and generally not being fun
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 95419

I don't know if it's because of the level addon that's been loaded, but in replays, the camera following elfilin gets bugged. Are there other possible reasons for this occurence?
this is INCREDIBLY bizarre, i have no idea why this could be happening... maybe it's something to do with his S_SKIN camera settings being super low?? yet another thing i gotta look in to.

EDIT: looking into it more, this is actually a vanilla bug. fun. Still should be able to come up with a temporary solution by making elfilin's camera scaling the default, though this will make record attack's camera look a bit weird compared to normal non-recordattack gameplay

Last edited:
[replying to your reply to my review] i'm not sure how difficult of a change this would be to make, or if it's already the case, but perhaps the spears could have a seperate hitbox for the shockwave implied by the star effect? that way the spear could still have a more accurate hitbox while it lingers as a trap, but you could still take out enemies with the actual crash itself (pretty close to how it behaves in the source material too). just a suggestion though, the hitbox is far from a dealbreaker

Frostiikin updated Elfilin - Friend from the Forgotten Land with a new update entry:

v1.1 Patch

Basically just a bunch of bugfixes.

Here's the stuff I can actually remember that I fixed:
half-fixed record attack, just temporarily have the camerascale set to the default until the devs fix the bug on their end
fixed transform cancel not always removing chaos emeralds
metal sonic was never real. you're just making it up.
fixed splitscreen being borked
fixed a couple random errors
fixed the chainswing bug for the 9 millionth time (i hope)
made the assist arrow not show up for players...

Read the rest of this update entry...

What is it with Kirby characters and instantly killing Metal Sonic?
Kirby can just eat him in the bossfight, and now Metal Sonic instantly dies upon seeing Elfilin.

I'd really appreciate if there was a way to get elfilin to follow without using co-op
Post automatically merged:

I'd really appreciate if there was a way to get elfilin to follow without using co-op

so don't try to Tag with a Bot in the singleplayer special stages, you get softlocked (though it is cool to explore where the camera doesn't reach)

Attachments

• 20230706203151_1.jpg
    20230706203151_1.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20230706203157_1.jpg
    20230706203157_1.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20230706203250_1.jpg
    20230706203250_1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230706203309_1.jpg
    20230706203309_1.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 131
Metal sonic is fightable as Elfilin.. He just has a weird bug, where Metal sonic will not start functioning, until elfilin has hit the ground. (either by sleeping, or spearing)
This happens multiple times during the fight (did this multiplayer, as player 1, and sure enough, any time i hit the ground, metal kicked on)
srb20086.gif

Can we get like, a command, to leave metal sonic enabled for those of us that are dumb? (Default it to off of course, lol)

Metal sonic is fightable as Elfilin.. He just has a weird bug, where Metal sonic will not start functioning, until elfilin has hit the ground. (either by sleeping, or spearing)
This happens multiple times during the fight (did this multiplayer, as player 1, and sure enough, any time i hit the ground, metal kicked on)
View attachment 95508

Can we get like, a command, to leave metal sonic enabled for those of us that are dumb? (Default it to off of course, lol)
metal has good tactics. he waits for his target to fall asleep then he attacks when they least expect it.

i think i have skill issue, everytime i try to double jump it activates the spear

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back