Do you guys think 3D models belong/look good in SRB2?

I like playing with both but I like the sprites more, I rarely play with the Models.

I only play with the Models for example if the sprite is ugly or outdated, and I don't really like this type of sprites but I can also sometimes take the Models just for fun.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the sprites. I was absolutely crazy for models during 2.0, but I've mellowed out on them over the years. Granted, they look better on default settings now; they used to have model interpolation on by default and the only way to turn it off was to use "old" as the value for gr_md2 in the console. Hell, my main reason for playing in OGL at all during 2.1 (drop shadows) is just a thing in 2.2 now through simple circle shadows.

Definitely models, I've always been a fan of low poly aesthetics and also just I'm more a fan of 3D sonic than I am 2D sonic so models feel better to me barring some like the Whisper the Wolf addon where the spritework is just so good I can't justify swapping to the model (that and the model causes slowdown for some reason)

Ive been playing SRB2 for a good bit (Since 2.2.9) and i always tend to use sprites however, recently i started to try out some 3D models and i cant help but think they look a little.... improper..? But what do you guys think?
Models indeed look amazing in the game

I really think it's down to personal preference.

Personally, I really models. From an objective standpoint they make precision platforming and stuff like that feel a lot better, since it's very clear where in 3D space your character is-- a 3D platformer benefits from 3D models, who knew?

But from a subjective standpoint, I think sprites can absolutely look amazing (vanilla sprites in SRB2 all look great) and I always love seeing fantastic spritework, but... I don't know. Something about the tangibility of 3D models just attracts me a whole lot more.

In SRB2, I feel like either low-poly Sega Saturn looking models or even a few well-made higher quality ones (like the Kromos keeps showing off on the Discord server) fit the aesthetic of the game really well. I play with models on 95% of the time.

But regardless, like I said, it's down to personal preference-- I think you should play with whatever you like more on.

I prefer models, since, despite Doom not being on the Saturn, the game feels like it was made for the Saturn.
Doom was on the Saturn.

Anyway, I prefer sprites. The billboarding on the models looks really bad, and the textures for most models are just gradients and not much else.
They just look really out of place, and I just like how doom looks so I just play OpenGL without models.

It's either all sprites or all models for me. If I'm playing the vanilla game I'll use models. If I'm playing with mods I'll usually switch to sprites.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back