Do you guys think 3D models belong/look good in SRB2?

Mr. Melon

Im about to commit a melony!
Ive been playing SRB2 for a good bit (Since 2.2.9) and i always tend to use sprites however, recently i started to try out some 3D models and i cant help but think they look a little.... improper..? But what do you guys think?

For me, it depends... I feel like sprites are more fitting because a majority of the objects in SRB2 are also sprites, and the fact that the general gameplay was built around using sprites as well. I think they can be good for certain scenarios like if you're playing a match or a gameplay style that requires you to look at things from abnormal angles, but I feel like their appearance in the game can be seen as a little odd when you think of them with the general SRB2 gameplay style, where the camera is usually fixated to include only the straight angles of yourself visible, it makes me feel like something is off about how they behave with the world around them. I think this may change when 2.3 is published, but that's my opinion, some people prefer them over sprites, and some people don't.

I use sprites too, but models look better with certain configs, if you want a Sega Saturn looking experience try 320x240 or 640x480 with models on, it actually looks really good and if you could get it on a CRT TV it could look even better.

I think the all-sprites aesthetic looks nice. The mostly-models-sometimes-sprites aesthetic looks nice to me, too (if that wasn't obvious given Snap the Sentinel's visuals). Models look best without ambient lighting, though.

It's all down to personal preference. I usually just stick to software mode because I like the 256-color palette. Otherwise I would probably switch between both modes to suit my mood.

Both are fine, but I'll always prefer Software over Models. I really like to see the hard work of others, Cuz Pixel art ain't easy.

I like both. 3D models feel more "in place" to me in SRB2, but not to the point I'd consider them inherently superior. I've always been a sucker for good 2D pixel art in video games, though if there were ever a technical reason for why the shift to full 3D graphics ever became necessary I probably wouldn't get all that heartbroken over it aside from the added barrier to entry regarding modding.

It depends on the artstyle of the models in question. The more primitive and Saturn-like, the more they tend to fit in the game.

Some models that I would recommend are Logan Mcloud's Low Poly models (They aren't finished, but check them out when they release.) along with Jeck Jim's. Dano's are also great. Just check various packs out and see which ones fit what you look for.

Having the sprites (or most of the sprites, anyway) made into 3D models fit the 3D landscape of the game itself. I have to say that both OGL and software work because, if already configured properly, both of the visual modes compliment their function. What I mean, since my word choice is abysmal, is that the OpenGL mode compliments the models by making the game look slightly more "realistic" and adapt it to make the models fit in more. Like immersion! For software mode, the basic options make the sprites fit in well since the colors are bright. Sprites in OpenGL are literally just paper if you fall fast enough, so that breaks the immersion for that mode.
I was really excited when I first finally found out how to make models work, but now it's just a matter of if I feel like using OGL or not. As is the case for many others, I'm sure.

I don't like the 3D models. Their texturing is immature and looks awful, and the presence of 3D models in an otherwise sprite-/pixelart-based level design also makes them look out-of-place aesthetically.

I prefer the models. The only exception is SA2 Sonic, which has very smooth spritework and is meant to imitate SA2's original animations.

Edit: the other exception is @Rogerregorroger's levels, where character sprites fit better.

Considering, I REALLY don't like playing without models enabled, I prefer using the Models. Especially the Low-Poly ones, as they make this game feel like a lost Sega Saturn Sonic game. Although, I do understand why some people prefer the Sprites as a ton of them DO look p good as well.

1. Models are bad looks with pixel textures.
Models more smoth than vanilla textures for srb2
Just play sonic adventure on dreamcast, and next play on pc port.

2. Models must be downloaded separately.
Yea, they come with srb2,
But I'll like playing with addons,
I just do not want download models for my favorite characters.

3. I'll just like sprites.
I'll likes old shooter games,
Like heretic, duke nukem, and course DOOM.
There is something in this style.

4. I'll like 2D style of srb2 [v2.2 and latest]
Or for what we waited all year this update?

Jetty-Syn so cute, i'll wanna hug him!
JETBA1.png

Last edited:
I personally think sprites are better, because it was built off of Doom.
however, sometimes I play with models because it feels more like Quake.

I don't think models fit at all really. They look poor and don't make the game look much better to be honest.

i need help when i load up the game the characters like sonic and tails are 3d but all of the other things are not can someone find a way to fix this?

Models look best without ambient lighting, though.
I would like to argue that point. Ambient Lighting improves the shading a little bit if you ask me. I understand why people may not like it, but I'm a special case unless anyone else has this issue; If OpenGL is on, but Ambient Lighting is off, sky textures do not load properly, and the loading looks bad, too. Take a look at this. This is without ambient lighting.
Screenshot_20231006-180018.png

And this is with ambient lighting.
Screenshot_20231006-180051.png

(Yeah, that's right. I'm a mobile user. Got a problem?)
Now, I should bring up that if the sky is fucked up on your end, switching ambient lighting on at least once fixes the problems.
But do you want to do that EVERY TIME you load this game? Do you?

I'm sure this was a problem since v2.2 initially released for mobile platforms. Well, most mobile platforms, I'm sure.

I personally prefer the sprites to the models, I just think it looks better, occasionally I might play with models, but for the most part, I love the sprites.

For me it depends heavily on the quality of both the models and the sprites. This is entirely my personal opinion, but I don't really like how the models that come packaged with the game look. The texturing is often too simplistic and un-detailed for my liking, and when it isn't it's just straight rips from the sprites. For that reason, I usually play in Software.

Honestly I prefer models, but not by a huge margin.

The model artstyles tend to blend a little more easily so there's slightly less art clash. The interpolation and all angles looking distinct make the characters feel more alive. The characters and enemies benefit the most imo but if I could have everything 3d I would.

Otoh, everything has sprites so if 2d/3d clash bothers you, you're better off with sprites for now. And a lot of the sprites look really good.

Overall I'm glad the game supports both.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back